3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood stoves for canvas homes ?  (Read 339 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood stoves for canvas homes ?
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Im in the market for a wood stove for my canvas home away from home, and thought id ask those of you on here that use them.
Hunting camps in cool or cold weather can be a lot more enjoyable with the comfort of a heated shelter.   :campfire:

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood stoves for canvas homes ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
I don't have them anymore (no wall tent), but when I had wall tents, I used Sims stoves. They used to be out of Cody, but now are based in Billings. Got me through lots of cold and snowy camping trips. They break down nicely so they can be packed in your truck or on your cayuse.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I have a 5 dog stove for our wall tent and can say it's the finest wood stove I've ever used.  John has a titanium version for his Kifaru Teepee we use in Alaska.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
I bought a Camp Chef Alpine cylinder stove for my 12x14 wall tent this year. During Elk season it was very effective at keeping the tent very warm. Outside temps weren't as low as expected and we had to open the tent up several nights to keep from cooking. I am sure if temps had dropped we would have been comfortable.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
Sims stove for my 12 X 14 Outfitter tent and it's been working fine for lots of years.  Best to put a layer of sand or dirt to cover the bottom then stoke a fire.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 04:26:00 AM »
i'd check out the kifaru stoves
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:41:00 AM »
I have a 3 dog stove and a Kifaru stove.  Both of these are great stoves.  The 3 dog is heavy, but it is great if you are in a canoe or have some way to carry it (i also use it to heat my shop).  The kifaru stove is the one I use the most.  It is best for backpacking.  Once I started using it for winter time camping, I don't think I can ever go back to a tent wthout a stove.

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
I have a 4 Dog and love it. I fill it with split oak and it holds fire all night.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
I have a Cylinder stove for my tent and love it. A good stove turns a tent into a home.  George @Prairie Traditions carries them, and is a sponsor here.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Being it's a canvas tent to begin with I don't think you need an ultra light wood stove, which would mainly be used for packing in, but if you really want one then I would check out the Kifaru light weight steel, and Ed T's titanium cylinder stoves. I think  one of the Four dog stoves would meet your needs better.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
4 dog stove!  Don K  really know how to make a stove.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
I have a 2-Dog stove for my 10' x 15' wall tent and it is plenty big to make the tent toasty and it is only #38 packed up and has handles so it is super easy to handle even in and out of the boat or the ATV trailer.With dry pine firewood it won't last all night but it is good for 6 hours and being a senior means I have to get up to pee at least once a night and I just throw a log on then and it is toasty when we get up.The stove is really well built and truly air tight.Makes camping a real pleasure.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
I had one custom built for a 10x12... 8' peak, 5' walls.  Guy I got to know in MT designed it and I had it fabricated to his specs.

Gads...it was made of good heavy metal to not burn out, but he wanted a box on the stove too big for the pipe he asked for...it would NOT draw.

A good, commercial, well-proven stove that might need the bottom replaced periodically beats one that won't draw!

I laugh about that stove every time I see the Tom Selleck movie, "Monty Hall!"  Bad stove is bad juju!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
I used an old military stove this year. I am going to get a better stove for next year. It worked okay but did not hold the fire for more than 4 hrs even when loaded up and shut down. I used to use one I welded up my self when I had a 12x14 tent. It was the best! Thinking the cylinder stoves look good.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
I am starting to get the bug. I would like to adapt my camp to include the use of a wood stove. I use no canvas, but could see using a wood stove in my cookshack or vestibule with the pipe angled out. I am looking for a mid-sized stove of quality construction, like a Three Dog or Cylinder stove.

Any suggestions?
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Wildman63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
I posted a thread over on the leather wall on the stoves I have been using for years,the thread title is hoe to make a tent stove step by step,I would post it here but I am using my smart phone .I posted complete diagrams for the stove and the stove has served me well in Alaska for years.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Thanks wildman, ill take a look.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Colemans military surplus has many types of tent stoves. I used them in the Corps and they are easy and efficient.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
I have something called a Kozy Kamp that I picked up quite a while ago.  Don't know where I got it.  It's made out of heavy gauge steel, 10x10x18 inches, plus legs, 4-inch pipe.  Keeps my 9x12 wall tent nice and toasty. Easy enough to carry in the back of a truck, but on the heavy side for horse packing.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©