3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quite a morning  (Read 245 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Quite a morning
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
I went to find some turkeys this morning, but got involved in another situation that was quite interesting. The owners of the place where I was hunting have their back yard fenced to keep the deer out, but someone had left a gate cracked open, enough that 5 or 6 young deer had got into the yard. When I saw them, I could tell that they were not able to figure out how to get out of the yard, so I opened the gate some more and went in to try and herd them to the open country. This back yard is probably an acre or so, and the deer were running up and down the fence, trying to escape. Finally, a couple of them found their way out, but two others got hung up in the wire. I helped one out, and she then found her way out of the yard, but a second one was still hung up, and when I freed her, she was too exhausted to run; she just laid there, bleeding from the nose and mouth. I tried to soothe her a bit, and I probably petted her for 5 minutes before she finally gained her feet, only to run into the fence and get hung up again. I freed her a second time, and this time she found her way to the open gate. I got some movies of me calming her, but for some reason Photobucket won't load them, but here is a still of her with my gloved hand on her.

Didn't get a turkey, either.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quite a morning
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
One of those experiences that lasts a lifetime.   Who says we're just cold blooded killers?    

Foster then harvest.... Well done.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
wow ... very interesting,   good for you Pat !
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Good Job!
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Shes a fuzzy little thing. Pat, I may be spending some quality time in the Cody area soon and will contact you if I get out there. My nephew flies out today to interview for a police job and if he gets it, well,,,,,,,, things are gonna be interesting.   :pray:    :pray:    :pray:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Cool........well done helping them out!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  good stuff sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Izzy, Cody ain't half bad. Good luck to your nephew. Let me hear how it turns out.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Fantastic encounter with nature.  Looking forward to your video.  I had a similar experience once, just had to flip a fawns hind legs over a cattle fence while she was hung up on her belly.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »

I got Photobucket to load part of the video. Not a happy deer.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Wild deer don't do well inside fences.  
I'm a fish biologist and we have a hatchery at the station I work at. One day a small buck got through an open gate in the chain link fence surrounding our trout raceways.  We left the gate open for two days hoping he'd figure out how to escape, but all he did was beat the crap out of himself.  Finally we were attempting a round up and he fell into the raceway completely exhausted like the one in your video.  He would have drowned, so we through caution to the wind, grabbed him by the legs, pulled him from the raceway and carried him outside the fence.  It took a few hours, but he eventually came to and walked off.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
I've hunted a similar piece of property except, the fence didn't exist until this year....well, the deer-proof fence.

Last year there were two yearlings that were just hangin' out and wouldn't leave the property despite my tromping around, smelling like crap and making too much noise.

I got to the south fence line and found their mother tangled in the fence.  She'd died stuck in the fence and the youngsters didn't know what to do.  I know that the 'yotes took care of the doe, I don't know the ultimate fate of the two young ones.

Nice job reviving that little deer.
homebru

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
wow thats crazy.
is it September yet??

Online Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
C  :cool:    :cool:  L

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
We just put up a new chain link fence around the property at work. A doe was on the outside and kept slamming into the fence trying to cross the road the same way it did all its life. A couple of our guys helped it to its feet and pointed it back from where it came and away it went.

Then, a few days later before the gate was installed, we caught another doe on the inside. Trying to get a deer to find an opening is not easy. Finally after injuring itself with an apparent broken jaw, we thought of doing the right thing and putting it out of its misery. As much as you want to, that is a BIG NO NO in PA. We called the WCO to come dispatch the poor thing. The dumbass lifted the bottom of the fence and shoved the deer to the outside. Eventually it regained its feet and staggered off toward the woods to die a miserable death. Man, were we PO'd! I lost all respect for that WCO that day.

Animal rightists make us hunters out to be bloodthirsty heartless killers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Centaur, you done good today!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Well Done Pat.    :thumbsup:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline BoonDock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Wow, amazing video. Nice work!
Hunting - Red Wing Hunter Recurve 51# @ 56"
3D - Anneewakee Addiction R/D Longbow 43# @ 58"
Rifle - Elite Answer 70# @ 33 1/2"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
That is crazy. Good on you.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
good on you!!
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Who says we're just cold blooded killers?  .... Well done. [/QB][/QUOTE]
 X2  :thumbsup:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.