3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow during Gun????  (Read 634 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow during Gun????
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Every year, and throughout the various gun seasons-shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun, antlerless (at least 2 of each per season) each year.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
I went out Saturday, the firearms opener here in Okla. to film my son with his bow.  I forgot to grab by bow on the way out at dark-thirty and we just happened to have a rifle in the truck as a back up plan.

I carried the rifle he had his bow.  We set up in our only two seater stand and see 5 does.  Nothing came within bow range but we decided to wait it out and give it another go in a few days with bows and camera.

We are fortunate here in OK that we get to hunt with a bow from Oct. 1 - Jan. 15th.  Our neighbors were sure having a grand time shooting at everything in the woods.  It sounded like a shooting range next doors!

Good luck - Be safe if your out there with all the gun hunters!
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
I'll hunt other ares with the bow, but not in my archery area local. I'd like to film the wave of ATV's overloaded with shotgun hunters that do massive push after push here. Very dangerous, guys running through the brush full tilt towards the point guys. 500 inches of orange required here and last year one guy runs by me wearing a tan shirt and pants, trips, his gun goes flying, and hes laying on the ground. Gets up and starts plowing again.
No fun for this bow guy. I need to get outta here.
David M. Conroy

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Yes, on public land here in SC. I only hunt with my bow, and don't own any hunting ground. I gave up on hunting clubs, which I found to be almost worse than public, years ago. Wear the blaze, and flashlight, regardless of how bright it is out. I try and hunt areas where others don't go. I haven had a problem so far. There are a few bow only areas around, I hunt those as well.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
Yes.  But with lots of orange and from a treestand.  And in carefully chosen locations.  If I go on state land, its on places that I have acces to across private land an thus harder to reach.

Offline Butternutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
I kill most of my deer during boom season. Seams like they run to my little patch of woods when the war starts. Should see the looks I get when I take them too the butcher and hunters walk up and ask what kinda gun you shooting and I pull out my recurve. Lol. Don
Blackwidow PSA 60"46@28
Toelke Whip 60"44@28
Toelke Classic 58"41@28
Blackwidow PTF V 58"51@28
=})})}=LAWMAN=>

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Went out opening day here in MI with the shotgun...just felt strange.  Passed up 4 bucks, including one decent 8pt that I would have LOVED to take with my recurve.  Picked up the gun, put the crosshairs on his shoulder, whispered "Boom", then watched him chase a doe into the woods.

Sunday, I was back out with the recurve.  Enjoyed it more, even though I only saw a raccoon and about a 1/2 billion skwerels.
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
As long as the rut is on.I bowhunt.Later durring the season and I need meat.I'll pull out my 7x57 98 to feed myself.Haven't killed anything w/ a rifle for over 10 years.
We have a very librial season in this part of Va.The season ends the last saturday in March.Yes I said March!!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I hunt from September through December all the way through both bow and gun seasons. This is the 16th consecutive year that I have not hunted with a firearm. The guns don't bother me at all, and they don't seem to affect deer movement much either. For safety, as required by law, I do wear the hunter orange without fail during gun season. Fortunately, I hunt my own property and have had little problem with outsiders encroaching on me.
Sam

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!   :cool:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I bought a new H&R 20 last year with a thumb hole stock and all....topped it with a 4x leaupold......and carried it to the truck.

The bow went from the truck to the stand.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
I don't even own a rifle larger than a .22
sold my deer rifles over 10 years ago.
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Yes. I have not taken a shot yet, however.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 01:59:00 AM »
Taken my Bear Recurve over the Holidays along with my 20ga slugger. With a little luck the deer will read the script and cross within the 20 yard range!   :readit:  

SWACK over BOOM any day!

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »

I have to brag on my Dad a little.  This was on Day 2 of the Oklahoma Rifle Season (aka if it's brown it's down extravaganza!).

We actually got to work the blood trail together.

Great day!
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »
My firearms never leave the my guncase anymore, although I have been tempted this season! My Broinlaw thinks I am nuts for not using a firearm! I only got back into hunting because of the Trad bow I just can't seem to put it down and as stated in an above post I feel strange in the woods when I don't have my bow! After the weekend most gun hunters are finished here in NO MI, my son will be here for Thanksgiving can't wait to bow  hunt and stump!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
Gun season opening day is just another Saturday in the middle of archery season to me! I hunt a lot in ground blinds and always have my stick in my hand.

The gun season has been open for 3 weeks here. I have yet to shoot a deer this year but still have not taken a rifle with me out in the woods.

Bisch

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
This is the first time I have taken my bow out a couple of times during gun season.  Mostly because there are more deer in the expanded zone I hunt than in my usual rifle toting areas.  I truly like carrying the bow way more.  But I can still not pass up the extended range the rifle gives me to put some venison in the freezer.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Yes I do, but hate wearing orange.

Kris

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
That Illinois law is crazy. The lesser weapon law makes more sense. You can buy a shotgun tag but cannot use a bow. Must be firearm .
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©