3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nov 17- an Epic day for the Stalker twins with pics  (Read 991 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Nov 17- an Epic day for the Stalker twins with pics
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Saturday morning dawned cold, wet and miserable! I was supposed to be on the "Front" hunting mule deer and elk with my buddy Dallas. Instead I was on a lift, screwing down metal roofing in the rain. Great times, right!? The good news was, that once I was done, I could head North and hook up with Dallas for a quick hunt before we were going to meet up with South Cox of Stalker Recurves to go over some things and to say hi.

As I was working, mummbling under my frosted breathe some unpleasantrys, my phone went off with a text. What to my suprise it was a picture. I couldn't think who would be hunting in my close circle. Tracy was working crappy hours while bruiser bucks ran under his stand. My father was down south visiting my sister, my wife doesn't hunt, yet. It's a small circle    :)    Then it hit me, by good buddy Shane was hunting turkeys!!

I hurried and looked at my phone and there it was, turkey down!! The other twin had struck!

Shane had made good on the opportunity given and smacked a nice bird. Well that got me excited and I started pushing the guys to get stuff done. Rain or no rain, I wanted to GO HUNTING!!

I've got to go pick up my step sons I will finish it up in a bit    :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nov 17- an Epic day for the Stalker twins with pics
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Guess I will stroll over here with my   :coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
Sweet~!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Colotrad

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
TGMM Family of the Bow
60" Griffin T/D
56" Shrew C/H T/D
58" Shrew C/H T/D
62” Javaman Assyrian T/D

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I aint sayin' a word 'cause I know the ending...but can't wait to hear the story  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
So after meeting up with Dallas, we drive through the pouring rain, yes rain at 8000 feet the end on Nov. WEIRD!! But as we approach our selected spot, the rain tapers off, but the wind does not. We hike up the trail for a mile or two to the ridge where jusst the day before Dallas had seen all sorts of rutting action, as well as a few elk.

As soon as we top the ridge, we spy a couple does feeding out in between the oak brush patches. Being that this is the last time I'll be able to hunt deer this year, and it being an either sex unit, the decision was easy. Dallas turned on his camera, I flipped my ball cap and we bailed off the ridge. As we made out way down, not 300 yards, we see deer that we didn't from our previous spot. We all pull up our glasses and all jaws drop. There was a great 4 point about 24-25" wide and heavy, a very respectable 3 point a forky and a few does. All were 500 yards away. However the 3 was on the move. At first I thought the big 4 had chased him off, but moments later the 4 headed out the same way. These bucks were cruising looking for a hot doe.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Dallas and I beat feet down to where they cross. My hopes are that the 4 comes back. We wait for awhile but soon discover the bucks were checking a different group of does. But we have a few does and a small buck below us. Dallas and I start working our way towards them. I don't kow if was the rut or what, but they were acting weird. They'd let us get with in 30 yards before acting fidgety.

However, if any of you have hunted in oak brush, you understand that its near impossible to get an arrow throught the stuff. So we play cat and mouse with them for a half hour or so, until they finally decide we'd been there too long. They head up and over a saddle on a fairly well used trail. I took note.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
:campfire:  Keep it coming bud!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
We head back up to where we were glassing to discuss our options. As we were we could see the nice 3 point chasing does a couple ridges over. We were thinking about making a play on them, but another hunter was headed towards them. I was looking for a place to intercept them, when I looked back down to where the 2 bucks crossed before to see another nice 4 crossing head back the other way. Patience!! If we would have just sat tight for another half hour we'd of had a 15 yard shot and on film!!

Dallas says he's going right after the buck. I tell him, "I know where that buck is headed!" and with a grin I take off in the same direction as the buck but on the top of the ridge. At a fats jog/ walk I cover a quarter mile. The buck is behind and below me in the oak. I can see the trail from the ridge and bail off towards it. Half skiing and half running down the snow covered slope I make it to a clump of oak thats about 30 yards away from the trail. That's the edge of my range.

My ball cap is turned, I've got a sharp simmons on the end of my Wilderness arrow, and I am ready!! I feel calm and have a feeling, the one most of us have had, when you just know something is going to happen. I'm not there 5 minutes when movement to my right catches my attention. The buck materializes out of the oak and skylines himself. What an awesome sight! He is oblivious to the predator waiting just a hundred yards away. He looks back and turns right on the trail I was hoping for. At a slow walk of a buck that has no where to go, he meanders toward me. When he gets to 60 yards, I focus on nothing but where I want the arrow to go. At 35 I start my draw and as he steps broadside at 30 the arrow is gone. The buck drops about 2 inches at the shot and a loud crack resonates back! My mind is spinning. I know I saw that arrow hit the shoulder area, but he drops like a spine shot! My mind is racing and not comprehending what I saw. The buck is quickly back up stumbling and I am refocused. He stops at 25 yards and I sent another shark through his ribs and out in front of his shoulder. It is done...

He only went 40 yards after the shot and was down in 30 seconds! No blood trail or anxiety for me tonight. It finally paid off this year!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Earlier in the day Dallas and I were talking about the year we each had so far. After playing with the does, I mentioned to him on film that the King of Almost was in the house. That's the way this year has been for me. But with a lot of luck and following my gut for once it paid off.
So in the matter of 8 hours the Stalker Twins had put two animals down!! Talk about an epic day!! I have a feeling these two bows are going to account for a few more kills in the next couple months  :)

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story, well done.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Wow, great story, action, and bucks.  Congrats !
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
I mentioned I shot this buck with a tiger shark given to me by Ken Gettman,(well twice). I have always been a three blade guy, but wanted to try something different, I have to say I am impressed! The holes you see in the pics are the holes you get.

They flew great and sharpened well. I will clean up the shoulder to see what happened exactly on the first shot. I also used Wilderness arrows from our own Snag. Great arrows for sure! They were Surewood doug firs, the best wood out there as far as I'm concerned.

I am headed to Cali in a week and a half to reunite the twins. We will get to chase hogs, bear, and mabey even a turkey. Should be a wonderful reunion  :)

Thanks for following along!

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Congrats Ryan!  Great buck.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Awesome story and pics Ryan! Congrats on your adventure!!!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Happy for you Ryan! Glad it all came together for you. What a great buck. Good to see a satisfied look on your face. Just awesome.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Beautiful buck,congrats.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter