3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking of a new Cascade  (Read 331 times)

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinking of a new Cascade
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Thinking of going from a 62" longbow to a short recurve, maybe 52,54", been doing some research and was leaning towards Cascade, just cant seem to decied which one, any input would sure help. Waiting on a return phone call from Steve, he must be gone.  Thanks Dave
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking of a new Cascade
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
This bow will be for hunting out of a treestand, anyone familar with the phenolic risers, are they heavier then wood risers, them pics of the Nighthawk sure look like a handsome bow with that black riser.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
I had a whitetail hawk that I liked very much.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
I have a60" golden hawk with black phenolic and greenish gray action wood,yew limbs.Bought it used here a year or so ago and I really like it.It is smooth and fast.I however dont shoot it as well as I do my other 62" recurves.I think thats just me and I havent spent the time with it.I would recomend the cascades though,for sure.They and "Checkmate" are very close,I think.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »
I have a few Cascade Golden Hawk Magnums 52 inch and all between 56 at 27 inches and 65 at 27.  They shoot exceptionally well and are very handy.  I also have one Night Hawk Magnum 52 inch and 57 lb. at 27.  The phenolic riser is a bit heavier than the cocobolo risers on the Golden Hawk Magnums but not so much that you really notice it.  One Whitetail Hawk 56 inch and 60 lbs.  Again a fine shooter and very stable.  I think you will be satisfied with whichever you choose.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I chose the Night Hawk with the phenolic for the weight and stability and think they are near the top for short recurves.

BTW, with the rut coming on, Steve has been hunting those elusive whitetails in north central Washington.  

Also, the Cascades are made in Canada by the same guy who makes the Chekmates.
Lon Scott

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Yea i thought maybe he would be hunting, i called one day last week and got an answering machine, havent  heard anything yet. maybe i will wait till after Thanksgiving to call again. Are the risers different on all models, or the same, i would like a slimmer type riser, the picture of the Nighthawk looks to be a nice size riser.     Dave
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Lon Scott

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
I have had a checkmate hunter 2 and now this cascade whitetail hawk. its 56" 53@28". I am actually selling it because I am on a fred bear kick right now.

I love the grips on these bows and they are smooth to shoot. I think you will be happy with whichever you choose in the line up.

here are some pictures of mine.
 http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/bedortha1234/bow%20for%20sale/
Levi Bedortha

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
I really love my 52" Nighthawk. I chose the Nighthawk for the same reasons Lon did.

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
got a pick of your nighthawk?  What limb core did you choose?
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
So....are these Cascades made in Washington or Canada?  interesting looking company...hmmmm
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
mooshkat, I chose Yew limbs.

Jerry, Checkmate makes the bows but Steve does all the finish on them. Plus there are some models that you can only get from Cascade such as the magnum bows.

Offline Cold Weather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Cascade bows were all made in Canada.  Saying that, the bowyer in Canada is not making bows anymore, as I understand, and Cascade is searching for a new bowyer to make his bows.

The Cascade bows are exactly the same as the ChekMate bows, with a different name.

ChekMate no longer made.
Fox High Sierra
Wes Wallace Mentor
Palmer Custom Carbon
Jim Brackenbury Drifter
21 Century Earth Longbow

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Chekmates are still being made. Seems like Mark has scaled down the business though. I just received an email from a friend of his the other day and he says Mark is still building bows.
He may just be selling them himself now as I understand he's stopped taking orders through most of his old reps.

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Dave, Cascades are great bows,but have you looked into a RER Arroyo 54" made right here in Wis. I have one and they are excellent bows.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
X2 on the RER. I bought a 58" to get me by till I ordered a 54" and it came in. Never got around to ordering one. Can't seem to put the 58 down. We'll see wht happens at kzoo though.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Cascade has some exciting new stuff coming out. You will have to talk to Steve about it. I can't wait.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
Cold weather ... your info is wrong. Where did you come up with that?   :dunno:  

TDHunter has it right.... Mark is still in business, he's just not building the Cascade line any longer.

I was contacted by Steve at Cascade last month and asked if I'd like to build another 50-60 bows a year for him. But ..... i'm just not set up to build production bows.

He told me just last week that Sky Archery is going to build some for him this coming year.

That's straight from the horses mouth... Kirk

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
My night hawk was one of my favorite bows, only bow I like better is my widow kbx
Make a life, not a living

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©