3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer down - "Cherry Bomb" strikes again!  (Read 430 times)

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deer down - "Cherry Bomb" strikes again!
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
This season has not gone as I had planned. I spent more time in the off season scouting and preparing and work has kept me from spending much time at all in the woods. On weekends I do get to hit the woods it is usually for a 4-5 hour stint one morning and that is about it. To top it off, I got into a great lease near Macon and have not set foot on the lease since season started. Now, even the WMA seasons are winding down so this morning when I headed to the woods I figured any decent deer should be headed to my freezer.

I headed to one of my favorite natural blinds and laid a scent trail around the perimeter of the creek bottom where I was hunting. I settled in and hoped I had dressed warmly enough to be still till the sun made it over the ridge in front of me. The weather app on my phone said it was 40 degrees when I left my house. However the frost on the ground as I was walking to my blind told me they were mistaken.

I managed to stay pretty warm, once or twice I had to stand up and lift my body weight with my toes several reps to keep the blood circulating in my toes but overall my Kuiu and Wool kept me warm.

Then around 9am I caught movement to my left. Without a sound a small forkhorn that I have seen a couple times already this season was headed my way. If a shot presented itself I decided he would be great for the freezer. I could almost taste the backstraps. I shifted slightly in my seat and slowly raised my Northern Mist into ready position. He paid absolutely no attention to the scent trail I had made but he did not spook and continued in one direction. At the first opening I had he turned and headed away from me and then he turned again and continued on his previous heading. At the next opening I was ready. He was slightly quartering away from me so I came to full draw and tried to aim for the far shoulder. I released and the arrow was on its way. He lunged forward and the arrow hit a little further back than I would like but it was a clean pass through. He ran about 20 yards and stopped. I could see him but just barely. He stood there maybe 10 seconds and then took off, I assume he began to feel the effects of the Simmons Shark. I strained to listen as he crashed through the thick underbrush. I was pretty certain I heard him go down but I decided to wait before going to check.

I found my arrow buried deeply in the soil beyond where the buck was standing. The blood was immediately visible but not as heavy as I would like and it was clear that I had hit the buck further back than I had intended. I left the arrow where it was, went back and collected my other gear and carried it back to my truck (about 3/4 of a mile away. I figured that would keep me from pushing the buck and would lighten my load when I was dragging my deer back later.

I picked up the trail again about 45 minutes later. The blood was very hard to follow, light, watery and the melting frost was not helping at all. As luck would have it, about 10 yards into the tracking I found the buried shaft of a previous hunters miss. (The expanding broadhead still had the rubber o-ring on it) So I used this to help mark blood each time I found it and one of my field point arrows also served as a marker. I would mark one spot, pull the previous marker and proceed. I kept reminding myself that I was sure I had heard him go down but I was starting to have my doubts.

As I pushed on I realized he was heading back towards an old logging road that I had walked many times. With blood so scarce I decided to take a gamble. I left the old carbon arrow I had found at last blood and made my way down to the old logging road. After about 10 minutes of crawling on my hands and knees I picked up his trail on the old logging road. I continued on another 10-15 yards and then happened to look up and around a bend in the road and there he was, another 10 yards ahead. I eased up on him, bow in hand, but another arrow was not needed, he was done.

Upon field dressing I found that the Simmons had destroyed his liver and clipped both lungs. Not sure why I had so little blood. I appeared that the exit wound was higher than the entrance, maybe that was it??

Anyway, I am happy. Second on the ground kill this season and venison for the freezer. Plus, this was a good cull to remove from the local herd. This OTG stuff is fun!!!!

Thank you for letting me share with you.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer down - "Cherry Bomb" strikes again!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Great pictures, nice story AND some good eating right there!  :thumbsup:

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Great job, congrats!
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Nice job!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Man that is great stuff! Congrats on a great season with Cherry Bomb!!!
Thom

Offline huntsman247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Oh yeah, that's what we like....

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us along on your successful hunt!  Nice buck and story!     :thumbsup:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Oldskool2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Congratulations!!
"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where your meant to be"
John Lennon

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  
Awesome work, congrats on the beautiful deer!

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Congrats Steve on another good one!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Congrats on a great deer.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »
Good story and pics.
Nice little buck and good work on the tracking.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 05:23:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Way to go. Thanks for sharing
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
Forks and Spikes are near perfect eating deer and when you are hunting from the ground without a blind all deer are trophies.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »
I'd say thats a trophy, congrats
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
good one
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
I must admit if nothing else this season has been an eye opener for me regarding hunting from the ground. This makes the second deer on the ground with just natural cover and I have had numerous close encounters. Now, here is what I will add. I have NEVER paid so much attention to the wind and scent control. Not so much being clean and keeping my clothes clean but paying attention to branches, saplings and even weeds touching anything but my rubber boots. Plus I scrub the boots with peroxide and backing soda paste every couple of outings. A lot of work when you are only hunting about 6 hours a week but obviously worth it. Not to mention that I feel more in tune with my surroundings than ever before. All great stuff. Thanks for all the kudos and congrats. Greatly appreciated all.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Nice one.  Great job on the tracking job!!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©