3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Montana beauty comes home with me!!!  (Read 1257 times)

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
Montana beauty comes home with me!!!
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
After spending the last 2 months in the woods without a chance at a mature buck I was looking forward to the rut here in Montana to begin.  Our rut hits peak a couple weeks later than most places in the midwest so after seeing so many posts with so many big bucks going down a guy gets a lot of anticipation to seeing the rut in person.
   Last weekend a few bucks started to come out of the woodwork and poke around a little bit, so I was very excited to have a 3 day weekend this weekend to hunt hard and hope the bucks were rutting.  
  Friday I was in my stand before light until after dark and besides a little far off chasing action and one really cool flying squirrel encounter I was left frustrated.  I had 3 different bowhunters wander past my stand and I knew I would be hunting elsewhere Saturday.
  Saturday morning found me in my new spot in a stand I had hung last weekend.  The spot looked awesome and I was excited and anticipating action at any moment.   It was a full 2 hour before I saw my first deer but once I did things got crazy.  I had four bucks chasin one doe in circles all through me woodlot.  They kept teasing but none ever came in good range. The rest of the morning was spent watching a few mature bucks push does around on a chunk of nearby private ground. This continued all through the mid morning and into early afternoon until I had enough.  I had a stand set bordering this ground and decided to sneak over to it for the final couple of hours.  On the way I was spotted by a real nice 6x5 which I had a close encounter with last week.  He finally ignored me and went back to following his doe.  Once I got in my stand I wondered if I had spooked all the deer out going in there but soon I spotted that same 6x5 cruising the timber I had just walked through.  
  From here on out things got real interesting.  It seems everytime I turned my head a new buck would pop out from a different direction. The bucks were pushin does, making scrapes, and rubbing trees and I was just in awe of it all.
I saw more big bucks than probaly any day I had ever hunted.  The problem was I couldnt get there attention.  My grunting was falling on deaf ears. The bucks would occasionly look then go back to whatever they were doing.
 With only 30 minutes of shooting light left I had a big buck heading right for me.  He was on a mission and closin the distance fast. When he got to about 40 yards he locked up on a does scent trail and then proceded to follow it the wrong way. I tried grunting and snort wheezing and he acted like he never heard me. I was shaking from the encounter and texted my wife letting her know I just had a great buck close but no cigar.  I watched as the buck proceeded to make a couple scrapes about 200 yards from me.
While he was scraping a small 4x4 walked up to him and then headed my way.  He ended up walking by at 25 yards and I was amazed as it was the first deer actually in bow range after such an awesome day.  About that time I heard another deer coming and lo and behold here comes mister big following the 4x4s footsteps.  I thought holy cow I actually might get a chance at him.  Well just to get me frazzled he stops at 75 yards and makes two scrapes under a tree I had hunted many times.(some guy put his stand in the tree and I havent been able to hunt it for 3 years- not happy)While the buck finishes his scrape and heads right up the trail the little guy came by on.  I get ready for the shot and here he comes.  He gets to my shooting window and right when Im thinking I had better grunt to stop him he looks up at this tree like he wants to make a scrape there and stops and gives me a perfect shot opportunity. I draw back and feel target panic hit about 3 inches from full draw.  I conciously remember telling my self to finish the draw.  Im not sure if I did or not but the next think I know the buck is running away with an arrow hanging out of his lower shoulder/ base of neck region.  I watched the buck make a big circle and walk right through the scrapes he had just made and head into the timber he came from.  The buck was obviously having a hard time and I wasnt sure if he was getting weak or just because of an injured shoulder.  
  I waited and listened til well after dark and snuck over to the scrape to check the bloodtrail. When I got there I was excited to see ample blood and I realized i might have a decent chance.  I snuck out and went to get help and give the buck a couple hours.
  When we got back we followed an awesome bloodtrail for about 150 yards straight to the buck.  Talk about relief!  The Simmons interceptor had entered just in front of he knuckle on the shoulder and exited just on the far side of center between his legs.  The amazing thing was the amount of damage.  The broadhead must have stopped there and opened up a huge hole cutting some arteries in the process.

A beautiful 5x5 with an additional sticker point off one of the bases.  After 25 years my best whitetail with a longbow.

We loaded up the buck for his ride home.

An amazing hole. Simmons continue to impress me. I have never seen anything like the holes they put in animals and they do it time after time.

For those who are interested i used: 47# centaur dark matter bow, axis 500 shaft, Simmons interceptor, and a lot of praying to the good lord after the shot.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana beauty comes home with me!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Super buck and a great story. Got one of those Centaurs coming early 2013.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Sounds like one of those magical days during the rut and that's what keeps us all comin back for more!! Awesome deer   :thumbsup:

Steve

Offline oh-bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Great buck Congats.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
That's awesome!  What an incredible day in the deer woods. Great shot on a great buck!!  That is some kind of exit hole!!!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Congrats on a super buck.

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Wow!  Congratulation!

Offline huntsman247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Very nice buck there!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Wonderful deer, great story telling and true reverence for the Creator.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Super Buck!
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Mighty fine deer ... I like those Simmons too !   Congrats
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Awesome !!

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Great deer, story and that is an awesome exit wound on that deer!  i’m using Tiger Sharks this year but have yet to test them out, still trying though.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
Super deer, congrats!!!
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
Are you sure you didnt throw a battle axe through that buck?  Nice

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
That's a beautiful animal!  Congratulations!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Beautiful trophy!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Great job!   :thumbsup:
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
Nice buck,congrats   :clapper:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
Looks like you shot him with a 300
Winchester Mag.  Unbelieveable. That has got to be the alltime biggest arrow hole I have ever seen and I have seen hundreds of kills.

Awsome buck and great hunt!! Congratulations

God bless, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©