3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another year, another bust  (Read 245 times)

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
Another year, another bust
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Well, for the fourth year in a row no deer.  Didn't even get a shot this year.  I pushed my trip back as far as I could to time it with the rut and still catch archery only season and did fairly well in that aspect. The experience of it all is always great, but it does get frustrating not getting anything. There were several sits of not seeing a single deer by either my father or I.  

Let me start over....we were hunting my fathers friends land which is aroudn 200 acres, mixed woods and open pastures along with my dads property of 25 acres.  Prior to season my father was seeing a herd of 20+ deer daily, with monster bucks mixed in there.  The trail cams caught all the action along with daily shots of several bear.  Come season and my trip up there everything about disappeared.  We never saw a bear and didn't catch them on trail cams....must have moved to a new food source.  We saw very few deer, but their timing was inconsistant and tracking was very rough.  We had 6 stands in vaious high traffic places.

One night I had a monster buck begin approaching a stand but before he got within 40 yards he stopped, raised his head looking at something back where he came from, and strode off toward it, posturing heavily as if trying to ward off another buck. So they were out there somewhere, we just couldn't get on them.

Around wednesday (Nov 7th), my dad, texted me while in the stand that he just had 2 big bucks grunting like mad zigzagging around his stand chasing a doe with their tongues hanging out!  Now we are thinking...IT'S ON!! the rut has started!!  The next day we are out before sunrise (nothing new there) and sit until about 10 AM with no luck.  Head back to the house to warm up (18 degree weather...brr)  and are back in the stand by 11:30. I'm sitting in the stand my pops was in when he saw the buck chasing the doe.  

Good Lord.....it was a loooooooong sit!  I amuzed myself by watching the big old grey squirrels running frantically around the woods while a very mad tiny red squirrel was chasing them off their property.  Contemplated several time about getting out of the stand and doing some stalking, but the leaves were very dry and brittle so any movement was loud, to say the least.  

Time rolls, by 2 PM, nothing, 3, nothing, 4 nothing....ZZZZzzzzz...Then 4:45 I hear what sounds like a heard of frogs off to my back right and look over to see a doe running full speed with 2 buck in tow grunting as if their lives depended on it.  At this point they were 45 yards out and runing straight toward me.  I stand up, but they are hauling serious booty, there is no chance of a shot.  So I thought, what the heck.....MAAAaaaaa  and bleat at them.  They all slam on their break and look around,   I can sense the feeling of relief of the doe as she walks around and begins feeding, relieved that she can now catch her breath and hoping the bucks will find more interest in the new  "doe."  Now I have the 2 bucks attention,  they're madly looking all around trying to locate this new doe. They carefully take a few steps in my direction (still 40+ yards are among heavily wooded areas.)  They stop and about give up,  as they turn their heads away from me, I bleat again...Mmmaaaaaa.....sounded like a goat to me, but it got their interest.  Their heads whip around agian, looking for me.  After a few minutes of this,  the doe starts feeding off in the opposite direction and the large 8 point buck follows.  The young buck (only a 4 point) is still looking,  probably thinking his chances just increased since the other buck walked away!  He gets within 25 yards yards (he's not a shooter by PA law, but he's got a good looking rack and great looking buck, so I'm hoping to see him in a few years , but I figured it would be fun to play with him and see how close he will come)  I bleated and got him to about 20 yards when the real doe had regained her energy and started running with the big buck following suit,  then the little buck took off not wanting to miss out on the action.  That was a very cool experience.

A few minutes later, a true monster buck came in, by PA standards, anyways.   He was a very impressive 10 pointer.  Came along the creek, the same place the other ones did, but never came in close, just fed along the creek.  I didn't get a chance to shoot,  gave him a bleat, but he wasn't interested at all.  

We hunted hard for several days and saw nothing.  We confirmed our thoughts with several friends, that the bucks went into lock down.  They saw big bucks standing in fields, not moving an inch with a doe bedded down in front of them.

Finally on the second to last day I caught a glimpse of them running again, but they were 60 yards out and only saw them for a second.  

Although we didn't kill anything, we had quite an experience, now that I look back on it. We had to laugh several times, bc after hunting all day, we would drive back to my dads farm and see 6 deer feeding in his back yard.  We tried hunting them, but they were moving too late, way after sun down, with no moon in the sky. Oh well,  I'm worried about next year though, my father who got me into Trad shooting is very frustrated and is seriously thinking about going back to wheelies.  Anyways, that's my trip in a nutshell for this year.  Good luck to all ya'll still hunting.

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another year, another bust
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
LOL!!!!...sorry about the huge paragraph!  I really should have broke that up.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
You had some great action and experiences.  It is a good thing I don't count deer on the ground as success.  Where I am I have had my best year,  I have seen deer 75% of the time out with my bow. Two does have ducked arrows.  I have seen a 4 point twice.  For me that has been a fantastic season.  Looking forward to the last two weeks.  From my point of view you had a great week.  Congrats!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
If you hit the "edit" box above your post (looks like a pencil and paper), you can add some paragraph spaces to make an easier read of your story.

Bowhunting is a game of seconds and inches.  What you described, to me, is a good hunt.  It could have changed to a "see the pics of the deer I shot" post in minutes if a wild animal had decided to take a slightly different path.  That's why we call it "hunting," and why it feels so amazing when everything comes together!  Keep after 'em.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
ok, hopefully that's a little easier to read.  Hawkeye, you've got it right, that's why it's called hunting and not shooting! lol

Next year my dad and is putting food plots on both feilds , corn and soy beans, so hopefully that will entice the deer to stick around longer. There are a bunch of apple trees around which are great for the deer and bear, however we've had several years of bad freezes and only 1 tree on top of the hill producing apples which don't last long.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
"Then 4:45 I hear what sounds like a heard of frogs off to my back right"

LOL. What's a herd of frogs sound like?  :laughing:

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
I havn't taken a shot yet either and I have spent a lot of time in the woods but I have seen a lot of deer and had some up close encounters! In fact I hunted the opening day of firearm season w my longbow saw  a nice buck about 40 yards out never got close for a bow shot, with a firearm he would have been a dead deer! LOL I actually thought about going out with my Thompson Ctr Renegade but thats not what its about for me anymore! To me you had a great season,got to hunt with your father, & made some great memories, my son LimbLover will be here for Thanksgiving and I can't wait to hunt with him! For me it was about filling tags I would have never taken up Traditonal bowhunting in the first place! Lots of season left! good luck if you get out again!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
4 years with no shot........My first shot was in 1971, my second "ALMOST" happened this year. I guess I'm not sure what to say!   :rolleyes:    :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
I'm in the same club!  :mad:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
It took me 4 years of trad hunting to get a deer.
it WAS definitely frustrating.

Really though, it wasn't the type of bow I was shooting ( or my skill with it ) that held me back.

I just wasn't seeing deer close enough to bow hunt.

From your story it doesn't sound like switching back to a compound would do you any good as far as putting meat in the freezer goes.

I'll tell ya buddy. The long dry spell will make it all the sweeter when ya finally get it to happen with your trad bow.

When you're really ready to quit...just remember why you held on so darn long in the first place.

Good luck!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I know what you are speaking of! I live in Pa(LOL) Seem's our Game Commission in their infinate Wisdom, decided to decimate the Doe Population, and reduce the herd numbers in this State.I have killed my share of Unglates over the year's, but have been having a dry spell for the last 3 years!
It does not bother me a bit! I have had the enjoyment of seeing the Woodlands awaken,a Handfull of time's this season, and seen things,that I never would have NEVER seen,,Laying in the Rack! Getting Up in age,,I believe that it would be easier to Lay in the Rack, But if God is Willing to Provide a Front Row Seat, to his Mastery of this World,Who am I to reject his Offering? Dont let it get you down! It's all GOOD!

I Always leave the Woods feeling that, they made the right choice,by avoiding me that Day, and With a BIG Smile, I know that they will not be Lucky NEXT TIME! Good Hunting!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
As A follow Up,One Day while being comfortably nessled in a Hemlock 20 Feet Up,I had the SUPREME Pleasure of obserbing a Mature Bob Cat, come sauntering by at 10 Yards from the base of my Tree.This Cat,Jumped up on a Whole Tree, Blow Down,and proceded to methodically Walk it's expance in my direction.He took 2 or 3 step's on the Log, and reached down with his Paw to Tap the Leaf litter that built up under the exposed Log,from the Winds! He WORKED that entire 30 Feet of Tree the same way! Left Paw,Tap, Tap, Right Paw ,Tap Tap! AMAZING! Trying to Flush something out from under the Mass! They say Animals cant reason???? Well, after seeing that,Im not so sure I want to Jump into that Boat! to ME,That was the Highlight of my Season!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
I may be the only person that doesn't like the unpredictability of the Rut. I take most of my vacation time in Oct. I will take my chances with a deer's belly rather than it's love life.

Sounds like you had a bunch of good action and spent some quality time with the family. pretty successful in my book.  :thumbsup:  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Boomerang:
"Then 4:45 I hear what sounds like a heard of frogs off to my back right"

LOL. What's a herd of frogs sound like?    :laughing:  
lol- yeah, it threw me off, I had never heard bucks grunting and it sounded like a heard of frogs....I was hoping it was bc I would have fallen out of the tree laughing so hard!

on a side note:
Each year I see something I've never seen before.  One year I saw a pack of coyotes playing on a dirt road, including several adults and pups.  It was quite a site. But they are smart and have a great nose and smelled something wrong at about 20 yards and immediately turned around running.

The next year, hunting new property in NJ, I got to see a mother black bear and 4 cubs from my stand.  The mother went off feeding while the cubs played near my stand and shot up and down the trees around me having a grand old time. It was amazing how high they went in the trees and that the limbs could hold them up there. I was at 20 feet and still had my head tilted quite a bit to see them!  I even had one of them come to the bottom of my stand and stand up and put his paws on my stand and start to come visit me.  He sniffed me out and his curiousity led him up, but before he started climbing his mom called and they all went off after her.

This year, I got to see a rabbit hopping through the woods, which my dad was very pleased with bc he hadn't seen one in those parts for a very long time.  And also got to watch a grey fox runnning up and down that creek looking for food.  I heard him kill a squirrel off in the distance also.

And of course, see bucks running in rut is quite a site to see.  My dad has been a hunter for a looooooong time and had never seen deer running and grunting.  I was fortunate to not to have to wait so long!   :)  

Just to clear things up, my pops is considering going back to his wheelie. Me....I prefer the challenge of trad hunting, and even though it is frustrating, I'm fairly certain it will be well worth the reward!

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
I may be the only person that doesn't like the unpredictability of the Rut. I take most of my vacation time in Oct. I will take my chances with a deer's belly rather than it's love life.

Rob
yeah, Next year I'll be going opening day of archery season for a couple weeks.  The rut was fun, but I had no clue about deer going into lock down,  and hunting at that point was useless.

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Oh yeah....when my dad was a kid the deer pop was so large that on opening day, he remembered walking to his stand sitting 15 minutes, killing his deer and season was over. A huge contrast to todays current population, HOWEVER....and that's a big however,  PA has taken great steps to bring the pop back, by bringing in deer from Michigan and other areas and that is highly obvious in the quality of the deer.  Back in my dads day, a tiny racked 4 point was a trasure, a six point was unheard of!  When I say tiny, I literally mean tiny, not bc it is a 4 point, but the actual size of the racks was pretty small.  Nowadays, my dad is in awe of the size of the deer that we did see.  HUGE 6 points with tall tines and monsterous 8 points spreading way out past the ears.  I even say an enormous 10+ pointer last year.  This is great news for the gene pool in PA.  4 years ago I didn't even see a single deer, last years I saw a ton of doe and a couple monster bucks.  Preseason this year, my dad saw tons of deer.  I'm hoping I can safely say the deer population is on the mends and getting much better and the gene pool is getting much stronger.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
The only frustration any of us feel is because of the pressure we put on ourselves to show proof of our abilities to put game down.

I have felt that SAME frustration many times myself...and STILL sometimes do it to MYSELF.

Just as we must practice with our bows to be good shots, we must "practice" at BOWHUNTING so we don`t miss the entire reason we are out there in the first place.

If frustration is an emotion you are getting out of your bowhunting, then there is a need for a change of tactics. The bow in your hands is far less important than the feeling in your heart.

It`s OK to WANT a kill...it`s OK if it is very important to actually kill a deer.

My experience has been, that when I put too much presssure on success, it actually goes the other way.

Thanks for sharing your story...happy hunting.   :campfire:

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
I've never seen alot of deer during the rut.  Normally some chasing and better chances at a big buck, but as far as numbers....I'll take October or January for that.  Seems like the guys hunting public land come out in force in Nov looking for that rutting deer.  Last night I was one of 7 trucks hunting a small wood lot.   Luckily I know an area away from the traffic, but still all those people aren't good for deer movement to say the least.
>>>--------->

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Yeah, I usually hunt much earlier in archery season and will do that again.  Small game was open for guns also and I didn't care for the very large amount of shooting I heard all day.  I much prefer when the woods are more quiet and can hear natural sounds.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
It was a bust for me, too.  I haven't shot a deer since 2005, and rarely get any shots.  To add insult to injury...

A few days ago, I was sitting in a great spot about 2 days before shotgun season started, feeling good.  Everything was working in my favor:  wind, temperature, moisture, deer sign, etc.  I wear a small medical device for my diabetes, and its "danger" alarm started going off.  I had to drop to my knees and fish the device out of my clothes to get the alarm off, and to adjust my insulin levels.  After just a few seconds it seems, I looked up and there was a nice buck standing 10 yards in front of me, broadside.  I have no idea where he came from, just showed up in some shoulder-high grass.  I could do nothing except watch him go by.  

My diabetes saved that buck's life that day, and left me eating 'tag soup' again.  Bowhunting after shotgun season in my hunting ground is usually a big waste of time.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©