3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: akaboomer is stackin em up  (Read 188 times)

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
akaboomer is stackin em up
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
Chris Montgomery (akaboomer) sent me this pic. He's still out there.

"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: akaboomer is stackin em up
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I took a couple days off two hunt with my cousin who came down from Colorado. I was not able to hunt with him for the first seven days of his trip, but showed him some public land and turned him loose. He hunts with modern bows and guns so I will leave the events of his three deer out of this.

Saturday was to be our first day to hunt together in fourteen years. So I shared an uneventful morning with him in a box stand. That afternoon I carried my climber to a saddle on a ridge and my recurve. Uneventful for me. I know it's a great spot so I left my stand to return Sunday morning.

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Sunday morning dawns clear and frosty. Expectations are high in spite of it being gun season. Dawn breaks with few gunshots heard on a day that I expected to sound like a war zone. Expectations begin to drop with the meager shots being fired.

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
About 6:50 I hear a buck chasing a doe toward me. She doesn't slow up but the spike checked up for a moment. He is not legal so I am left wishing. I love it anytime a hot doe comes by because you never know what might be bird dogging her after that. Less than an hour later I hear a dear coming on the same path. I stand grab my bow and ready myself in hopes of a nice buck. When he comes into view I recognize him as a buck we have trail cam pics of. Eight point close to 17" wide approximately 130-135" P&Y.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
This is getting good... ala CL style!    :rolleyes:    :saywhat:    :bigsmyl:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
The buck blood hounds the trail right to me. I waited till I had the best chance I could foresee. I draw, anchor focus and release. At the shot I felt like I had made the shot I hoped for. The arrow arches gracefully and drops just under his chest. I am sick I just missed the best buck I have ever had a shot at. Moments later I get a text from Lin showing me one of his stunning knives  in progress. I respond with the bad news.

The plan for the hunt was to hunt till 11:00. About 9:45 my cousin texts that he killed one. So I know we have one deer to deal with and plans changed for my cousin so he is now planning to leave on Monday morning.

About 10:50 I start getting ready to get out of the tree. As I am quietly packing up I hear a buck chasing a doe so I shift gears. Here comes a doe with a different spike on her tail. The doe stops perfectly broadside. I just reacted, the arrow was on its way. It seemed to take a long time to get there. It hit perfect. She ran a short distance and crashed.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I'm posting the pic for Chris since he's been occupied a lot and I saved the ones he sent me.

ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
This is my third doe for the season. My first ever with a Simmons Landshark. I doubt I will ever shoot another head. Holes like a big mechanical with the attributes of a fixed blade cut on contact. Sorry for the poor pics. I was rushing to get three deer taken care of so we could get one more hunt before my cousin went home. I got redemption with the doe but now have a vendetta to settle. I hunted there again today with few deer sightings. I will move about three hundred yards tomorrow to take advantage of the change in wind direction.

Chris

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I forgot to mention the blood trail. Ray Charles could track this one. The picture of the blood trail is over 24 hours after the carnage.

Chris

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
:clapper:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »
Congrats ! Looks like a good sized doe.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Very nice!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline HawkeyeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Well done!

Users currently browsing this topic: