3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how long at anchor?  (Read 473 times)

Offline rickmasters

• Trad Bowhunter
how long at anchor?
« on: November 19, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Hi, I am new to Trad bows. I have hunted with a compound and gun for about 20 years and shot many whitetails with bow and gun. I recently have been wanting to get back to fieldcraft and have always wanted a longbow. I started watching some videos and reading up and now am hooked on traditional hunting. That being said I don't know crap about longbows. I thought it would be simple but it seems very complicated. I bought a few used bows and am trying to get arrows and there is a ton of different info that the arrow guy needed to know with regard to centering of draw string etc. Anyway, sorry for going on in my first post. My question is how long should you be able to hold a longbow at anchor? I am trying to figure out what weight will be good for me to start? Thanks

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: how long at anchor?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang  :)

Some guys don't hold very long, me I usually hold 2-4 seconds then let go. I am sure others will chime in so welcome again and glad you found us  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline erictetterton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
yea i hold at least 2-4secs. however long it takes me to get steady and focus on my spot. welcome to the gang
Javaman Falcon 45@30
BW KBX 60” 45@30
BW PLX 64” 50@30

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
2-4 seconds for me too. If I could give you advice based on my own (bad) experience - hold at anchor from the start. I started with the 'touch and go' release and it morphed into target panic that took me years to beat.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
I tend to shoot quickly once at anchor. My finger touches anchor and the arrow is away.

Welcome!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by rickmasters:
My question is how long should you be able to hold a longbow at anchor?
How long should you be able to hold a longbow at anchor is a lot different than how long you should hold while shooting a longbow.  I think some of the previous responses are mixing the two.

Me - I'm a touch and go type of shooter (aka snap shooter).  As soon as I hit anchor the arrow is loosed.  Now I can hold at anchor without shaking for probably 30 seconds or more.  That's with a 59# bow.  I don't know if there's any hard rule, but you'll definitely drop from what you shoot with a compound.  When I converted to traditional bows I was shooting an 85# compound and found that 55 - 60# was a comfortable weight in a traditional bow for me.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
I also hold for two to four seconds.  In my opinion if you can't draw and hold steady for a few seconds then you need a lighter bow.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
I hold for 2 seconds usually, sometimes less when field shooting - but lately I've been training to hold for longer - up to ten seconds - to build up my endurance. I don't shoot my best when shooting like that, but at some point while hunting the ability to do that might come in handy.

All that said, there are some guys who barely touch anchor before the arrow is away - those are usually instinctive shooters.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Welcome from Indiana!  :wavey:  

I would say the answer to your ? would be long enough to get off an accurate shot. There are many variables to picking a starting wieght. Most will suggest a pretty low # to get form down first. I went from a 73# compound to a 45# recurve then to wieghts in the 60's and 50's. It took me a few years to figure out what I really like. Attending a few large trad events would have helped considerably.

Good luck on your journey!  Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
No holding-just letter rip
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
You need to be able to hold at full draw for atleast 10 seconds without shaking. That said almost nobody holds 10 seconds to shoot. Most guys hold under 5 seconds when shooting. My standard hold is somewhere around 3-4 seconds. However depending on how game presents itself I can hold longer or shorter time periods.
James Kerr

Offline Shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I used to not hold at anchor at all. About a year ago I started holding 2-4 secs, my accuracy great improved. Especially on longer distances.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
5 to 10 seconds. I'm very methodical.  Works best for me.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Pull to your anchor point and release. As mentioned in the zen of archery, it should be like a raindrop rolling off a leaf.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I hold 5-7

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
My mentor taught me: "draw slow release slow, draw fast release fast."

Has to do with the ryhtym of the shot.  If you're snapping at a bunny taking off you swing up and release the instant you hit anchor.  If you're facing a target bale you have more time.

And, sometimes, you're waiting for a deer to take a step and clear cover you have to hold several seconds.  Though usually trying to hold a drawn bow is MUCH worse than raising the bow and waiting to draw and take the shot at the proper time.  At least IMHO.  The thing about hunting is the situaions are varied and require adaptability.

Practice them all.

Targets and stumping I hold 1-2 seconds.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I was just talking/teaching my 9 year old cousin about that today. I believe you should be able to hold it for a 10 count just in case but for a shot a 2-4 count. My cousin was snap shooting and missing horrible so i made him do a 2 count and he greatly improved. My last shot of every practice is a looong hold to practice that and to build strength. Just me. Good luck and welcome to the gang!
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
google "Rick Welch"
his style of vshooting has done more than anything else to help my archery.

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
The "Masters of the Barebow" DVD set helped my shooting out considerably, I would recommend that to get a good idea about the different styles and techniques. For me it is a solid two point anchor and hold until I feel settled and confident, which is usually a few seconds or longer at anchor.
In regards to draw weight to start at that is a tough question that only you can answer. But whatever bow you can get correct form with during long shooting sessions to start is the best (which is usually lighter) and then work up once form is down. 40# is probably a good starting point.
Good luck and welcome!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
I shoot bows that I can hold as little a two seconds or as long as necessary for an animal to clear for a shot. I shoot 45 to 50 pound bows and find that they are more than powerful enough for all the animals I have taken. If I shot any heavier equipment I could not do this.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©