3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 100 Year Old Man  (Read 3067 times)

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A 100 Year Old Man
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I had an interesting experience this morning. As most of you know I've been a whitetail fanatic for over fifty years. This morning I passed up an old warrior which I believe was the oldest whitetail I've ever seen. I obviously have no idea but he looked absolutely ancient. The big nontypical I shot last fall was 9 1/2. This buck could have been his grand daddy. His antlers had degenerated to next to nothing. They were basically massive spikes with a bunch of heavy beading and no main beam. I watched him come to me from a hundred yards. He was a "slow walker" but not because he was waiting for thermal currents. He was obviously in pain. It took him a solid fifteen minutes to walk a hundred yards. I considered doing a mercy killing because he looked in such bad shape. I got great video footage of him at fifteen yards that you'll hopefully all get to see someday. You could see the age/pain in his face and eyes. He was gaunt and having a hard time simply walking with arthritic hips and a kyphotic (humped) spine. I know he won't make the winter but you have to respect an old animal like that. I wondered what he looked like when he was in his prime; how much he weighed, how big his rack was; how many trophy bucks he sired; how many times he survived sub-zero temps with winds blowing at 25 MPH while he hunkered down under a pine as his only protection; how many red coats he made it by; the gang bangers, the inline muzzleloader guys with their "primitive" weapons with thumb hole stocks, bipods and scopes who can shoot them in the head from 200 yards. Not to menton the late season antlerless rifle shooters who pop the biggest antlerless deer from 200 yards only to find it's a shed mature buck. Then there's the packs of deer running dogs, coyotes, bobcats, increased vehicular traffic and the rednecks who just closed the bar heading home with a spotlight out the window. Harsh conditions, drought, ticks, chiggers, flies, etc. He was a true survivor. I also guarantee he watched me in the woods more times than I watched him over the years. I had plenty of time to think about the situation. I felt genuinely sorry for him. I've had to put good dogs down in the past. I hated it. I even thought about justifying the kill. But the meat would likely not even be palatable. I have a thing about old animals. I have absolutely no desire to shoot an elephant because he'd likely be older than I am. That's just me. I have a soft spot in my heart for old animals. Yes, I managed the farm he lived on. We gave him the chance to grow old by keeping it limited to bowhunting only. I was torn. I know we are supposed to be stewards of the land and the game. Maybe I'm getting soft in my older years. I felt sorry for him. Maybe I got too good of a look at his face and his eyes. I ultimately decided to let him live out his life as nature intended. As I watched him walk away I honestly got choked up. I'm still not sure I made the decision. God did good when He made bucks like that and granted us the opportunity to pursue them. BW

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 100 Year Old Man
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
nah man you did the right thing,,, seriously he earned the right to choose his last bed.  if he was down thats one thing but if he's walking let him roam his trails..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Many times hunting as with most parts of life is bittersweet. Your words always paint a vivid picture. Thanks for sharing. :campfire:
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Wow, thanks for sharing that. I try very hard to explain to non hunters that we arent simply killing machines. That summed it up nicely. Enjoy the rest of your season.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Great story Barry.    :campfire:

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  sure would like to see a picture of the ol man....hint...hint.

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Well said U.B. well said.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
would love to see a picture of the old warrior.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Barry.  I think I may have felt the same.  

ChuckC

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Very nice tribute to all animals we pursue with a bow!
Thanks!

chris <><

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
See, contrary to what my co worker thinks, some hunters have hearts and souls.

Barry, don't second guess your decisions, just enjoy them.  He must have been some buck!

Thank you for sharing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
That is awesome!

Where I hunt, a deer could only get that old if he was in captivity.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Great story
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
I would like to see the pics.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Tajue said it best.... Hopefully he'll choose his last bed and go to sleep some cold night never to stir again.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Many a person who calls themselves a hunter would not understand your thoughts on that old deer. Many others know exactly where you are coming from...........I'm glad I'm in the second bunch!  :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Thanks for putting words to what I would try to think to myself.  :campfire:    :coffee:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Very cool post Barry...like the deer, we will all get to that point in time.   When our time does comes, hopefully our children will let us fade with dignity, like you chose to do with the buck.   :thumbsup:

Offline erictetterton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
great story! i have a vivid picture of that buck walking his trail in my head. i would love a pic though to verify my image is accurate lol    :campfire:
Javaman Falcon 45@30
BW KBX 60” 45@30
BW PLX 64” 50@30

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
That was as moving a tribute to the animals we love and pursue as I've ever read or heard. Well told and Well Done Barry.    :thumbsup:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©