3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 100 Year Old Man  (Read 3078 times)

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 100 Year Old Man
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Respect.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
There is an old Army toast that goes," Here's to us, and those like us; damn few left". Seems appropriate to this thread.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Wow Mr. Wensel,that was some story! And the replies here are fantastic. I'm truly honored to be a part of this campfire. The men and women here are top notch folks for sure. Thank you for sharing.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
I had a similar experience with an old warrior 2 years ago. Haven't seen him since, I'm sure it was his last year. He deserved to go out on his own terms. Thanks for sharing.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Great story Barry!  When I first read the title of the post, I thought you were gonna make fun of your brother!!!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Tique, I have passed up a couple of dozen bucks this year, most of them pretty nice by this area's standard.. Admittedly it wasn't because they were all old and if the right one graces me with his presence I will perhaps draw the bowstring to my cheek..

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
This kind of stuff is why I love this site and traditional archery. We are not a bunch of heartless killers. We are a group of folks that love the animals we pursue and feel blessed to do so!
Thanks for sharing Barry, it was an awesome read as always!

Jason

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I alway thought that some smart old bucks died of old age. Salute the old ACE and let him walk. He has undoubtedly out smarted and out lucked many hunters. His fate will be more painful than an arrow but, he has earned the honor. Nice story!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Real awsome stuff.  :clapper:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
That is not natural, I am talking about the old deer walking backwards. I think we all  can learn something from Barry's post. It is not natural for any animal to walk backwards. Yes, they might take a step or two if they run into some obstruction but this guy has taught himself to walk backwards which if very unnatural. The same way with horses, they have been genetically engineered to go forwards and have to be taught to backup. Interesting, I never seen a deer do that. I have seen them get down and crawl through brush field to be undetected. I also seen a dog chased deer stop and bury itself under a fallen log to rest and catch it's breath only to get up and take off again. That shows the character of this particular deer and give some more insight of how he has survived this long. I bet you his senses are failing and this is a deer that you could not get on a game camera otherwize, a true ghost.   Tim in NC
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2012, 02:54:00 AM »
Nuff said... BW, nuff said.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2012, 06:14:00 AM »
Regarding an animal walking backwards, I agree thirty yards is not natural but I don't doubt it. If you meet your dog in a narrow hallway he'll walk backwards a few steps to get out of the way, etc. but thirty yards is a long ways. I've always got a kick out of hearing stories of the deer trackers on snow telling about how when tracking a smart old buck the deer would place his hoofs inside his other footprints, walk backwards and then leap off to the side to try to shake the tracker. Give me a break. In reality what happens is the hunter is tracking the buck, pushing him somewhat. The deer is being pushed into unknown territory ahead. He sees/hears something ahead of him that he questions, a movement or whatever. He stops and watches, then questioning his advancement he backs up a few steps and leaps to one side or the other then continues on. Reading anything more into these tracks written in the snow is pure imagination in my opinion but makes for a good story whether the tracker ultimately gets the buck or not. BW

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
This buck has captured my imagination since reading the post and I cant wait to see him. I still dont know what I would do in your position UB. If I did kill him Id surely  hang him on the wall spikes or not. I personally feel that being killed by a guy that loves deer and whos very life has been formed around deer would be an honorable way for the old man to go. Still not saying I wouldnt do what you did, cause just having an experience like that trumps a whole pile of dead deer but I would love to be put in the pilot seat to decide. I hope if you find his bones this spring that youll age him. Thanks again for sharing and putting that old mans legend in my mind. Hes worthy of a mini chapter in the next book.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
Oh yeah Barry, by the way my dog doesnt back away in a narrow hallway. Hes too damn lazy and will make you walk around him or step over his big A**!    :banghead:

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
I believe when it is your "Time" then the end comes. When Barry was "Watching" that deer, he knew it wasn't the old guys Time. However it ends, it will end the way it was intended. We were lucky enough to have UB give us an insight to one small piece of this bucks time-line and as hunters and conservationists, we appreciate that. Thanks Barry!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
Absolutely awesome! Great thread and thanks so much UB for sharing. My hats off to you. I with out and doubt in my mind believe you did the right thing. It goes to show the Spirit in you as a hunter and a man. It goes way beyond respect for the animals in which we hunt. Your thread touches on the connection with a Power much greater than you or me. Most all of us here understand it and even more appreciate it. We choose this type of hunting because thats what it is hunting. If killing is all I wanted to do merciful or not Id get a job at the slaughter house. Thanks again so much for sharing! Happy Hunting.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Great story ! Thanks for sharing such a rare sight.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
:clapper:  Love it...!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Thank-you for letting him walk.
Leland

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
Uncle B,
  Thanks for sharing the COOL encounter with the 4 legged elder statesman.Very interesting and what you did was very honorable in my book.

Good Luck
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©