3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 100 Year Old Man  (Read 3077 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 100 Year Old Man
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Maybe the "reflection" was yours, I think most hunters see things different in the winter of their hunting careers than they did when not as "experienced" I am not that old but I watch as my father is in this stage and the need to take an animal for a successful season is less important to him than just going. I believe the compassion you felt was a camraderie between youself and the deer from having been through times in your own life. Hope this doesnt sound like Im a babbling idiot, Don

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
After reading all these posts I have a feeling that if Barry, at the last second, decided to "put the old boy down to end his suffering", that this thread would've still played out very similarly. Barry has a great way with words, and could tell a story two ways, and win you over in each case.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
I would have put him out of his suffering and put his spikes on my wall. One thing that I remind non hunters about the legitimacy of hunting is that there are no old age homes for wild animals, their end is often much more cruel than a bullet or an arrow.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
What a cool story.  Thanks for taking time to share it!   Can't wait to see pics of the old guy.
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
This evening I sat the same stand. Just before dark I heard something walking over my right shoulder. It was a nice 3 yr. old 4x4. He walked by at 20 yds. totally unaware I was watching. I looked behind him and something caught my eye. There at 50 yds. was a white throat patch. I put the binocs on it. There he was watching me... the 100 year old man. He just stood there until it got dark. I stayed in the stand an extra ten minutes and slipped out as quietly as I could. It made me wonder how many other times he watched me leave. Thank you again for all the nice comments. You guys make me proud. BW

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Barry, aren't you going to tell the folks about the rest of your day today? You have a whole lot more self control than I do. Or maybe I need to make you an appointment with Dr. Phil.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Patience my Precious, patience....

AND celebrate a Happy Thanksgiving!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Wow,,, this thread has me caught up like none before has. I cant get that old dude out of my head. Ill be looking for him whenever Im hunting for a while to come now. Still dont know what Ill decide if his end is in fact my decision or that of another force. Heres to the old man, may he run for another 100 years.    :notworthy:

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Really???
Does the "W" in Wensel stand for Weird, Whacky, Wistful, Wise, Whitetail, or Whole???  All joking aside...I tried to use wit and end this little  query with the word "whole"....because...having read a bunch of your all's stuff and watched your videos....what I've seen as a "thread or message from you all" is reflected in what Barry has tried to share with us...
Fun loving...outdoor loving men...enjoying and at the same time respecting our relationship with our "nature family"...

Keep it coming Wensel Bros!!!  You guys always get me to thinking about my outdoor experiences and conduct.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
So tell us your story Barry? Please?

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
I think we all have soft spots in our hearts; it is encounters such as this that makes us all appreciate life the much more; no telling how many offspring that this deer has given and like yours Barry, his legacy will live on for generations;

Thank you Barry for the story and giving an example that all should desire to live by.

:campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Obviously, you have a great respect for animals regardless of the age. He may not make it through another winter, but you did the right thing. The old boy paid his dues, and earned your respect. Good call.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Two Old Bucks(Barry and 100 year old man) in the woods, with Gut Instinct, to get thru the years! Your choice, a good choice for both of you>>>>
Thanks for sharing the "RESPECT".
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »
Awesome U B.  as always we can't wait to see the footage. You definitely did the right thing.  He'll go in his own way on his own time.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
Maybe the best paragraph Ive ever read!  I too have seen them back up like that but only for maybe 3 deer lengths @ most.  

When you start underestamating their will to live you have let them have the upper hand.

Bring on the video!

Offline tomwatson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Great story Gene. You did the right thing. You my friend are a true bowhunter.

Tom
“To chase game with the ghosts of other hunters from other times-that's all he really asks." - The Restless Spirit.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
I hope you can post a pic of him that would be something most of us will never see even in a picture. Great story as allways. Thanks you.
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
This has been a great thread. I also hope that we will get to see a photo of the old guy. Even if we don't, this has been a great story to read.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Incredible!  Nobody better for an experience like this to happen to and then re-tell it for us....thanks Uncle B    :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©