3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 100 Year Old Man  (Read 3071 times)

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 100 Year Old Man
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Well, everyone is wanting to hear "the rest of the story". Even Gene is after me. I was hesitant on writing it for fear of people thinking we hunt in the zoo. Some folks get jealous but anyone can do it. The truth of the matter is I am only hunting two adjoining farms that total about 400 acres and are owned by two of my best friends. Our only "secret" is we keep them limited to bowhunting only. We only shoot a few does and limit the bucks to fully mature 5 1/2 yr. old bucks or better. That's it. Last week the one landowner and myself put up a new stand in a tree I've been watching for two years now. We named the stand "Buckshot" and it's quickly becoming one of my all-time favorites. In fact, I told the landowner after I kick the bucket I'd like my ashes spread around the stand. It's that good. Yesterday morning was perfect. It ended up being by far the best day of hunting I've had all season. By the way as a side note, yesterday, Nov. 21st marked my "anniversary". It was 53 years ago yesterday I killed my first whitetail buck. Anyway, the computer said 39 degrees but when I went out to the truck the temp read 27. Winds from the south at 5 MPH. I climbed in the stand before light. Shortly after pink light here came a 115" 4x4 walking east to west right down the main run at 12 yds. At about 8AM here comes a big male coyote trotting down the same run going west to east. I got to full draw and made a bleat with my mouth. Instead of stopping he turned inside out and reversed direction. No shot. He might have been a little shy because I heart shot his brother a couple weeks ago in a nearby stand. I watched that one go down, walked up to him and said "Meep-Meep" for the Roadrunner. Anyway, back to the tale. Five minutes after the coyote leaves I catch movement also coming west to east. At first I thought it was a pack of coyotes, I suppose because I had coyotes on my mind. But then I realized it was five does running right to me. Dogging right behind them is a stud. He was a clean 5x5 probably measuring over 160 inches. I noticed his right G4 was crooked and kind of twisted. I also noticed he had broken off four or five inches from the tip of his right G2. Ask me if I care. He was a dandy and I intended to take him. He was dogging the does and stopped broadside at 15 yds. now heading north but behind some whips. Just before he walks through my shooting lane something else catches my eye. Coming behind him is an even bigger buck. Although the second buck was "only" a giant 4x4 he was noticably bigger. I've always been of the opinion if you have two bucks both measuring an equal 160 inches, one being a 4x4 and the other a 5x5, the 4x4 will usually take your breath away even though he has less points. Anyway, this 4x4 was a bruiser. He had one of those dark foreheads and a gray face more common in mule deer. Even though both deer would undoubtedly dress over 200 lbs. the 4x4's rack was big enough to make the body look smaller. I instantly let the big 5x5 walk through my shooting lane. Here comes the big one. They have does scattering everywhere. He stops at 17 yds. frontal.. frontal. I wait with tension on the string knowing what was about to happen. He turns to follow the 5x5 only instead of walking across my 6 foot wide shooting lane he trots across it at 15 yds. He wasn't really running and I was totally confident in the shot. I'm usually very good at those shots. Unfortunately it was not meant to be. No excuses. I simply shot just below his heart missing him clean. Right about then I said to myself "Golly gee, gosh darn, son of a gun, dag nab it".. or something like that. I'll tell you one thing, when I was in my prime I bet I would have got him. I'll be right back... it gets better. BW

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing UB. Continue.....
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
...enough already...get out of the bathroom and keep writing..

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Sorry about that. My wife is back east visiting her sister so I'm batching it. I'm having turkey franks for Thanksgiving dinner and jumping back into a stand. So my morning hunt ended before noon (I had some other stuff I needed to do). I had seen six racked bucks including the two shooters, a dozen or so does and a coyote. I climbed back into the stand about 3PM. I wasn't there fifteen minutes and a doe and button walked right by. Then a little later here comes four does looking behind themselves to the east. Then I see them perk up looking at something to the west. Here comes a string of a dozen or whatever Butterballs. The turks see the deer and the deer see the turks. The turks start yelping and turn back. And the deer turn back because the butterballs are scared of their own shadows. See?? That's why I hate turkeys. I never saw what was following the four does. So then about 4:30 I look over my shoulder and see long tines coming. I pointed the camcorder where I knew the shot would be and hit record. He walks right up to the scrape at 12 yds. It's a long tined 4x4 I've seen several other times. Man.. his G2s have to be over 14 inches. In fact I know they are because I have his shed from last year. His G2 measures 13 5/8" and he looks bigger this year. Adding to that he's got a giant tumor on his chest. I saw this buck about ten days ago and I swear the tumor looks bigger now. I'm told some of these tumors come and go and it all depends if they're fluid, cancer or whatever. So now I'm getting a lot of flack from everyone for not dusting him, especially since it was on film. But I let him walk by at 10 yds, 8 yds, 4 yds, right under me. I know.. I know.. sometimes I'm a real idiot. But the fact is I hunt for the experiences and there are at least a half dozen big bucks in the area I'd gladly tag. Looking back on it, I probably will shoot him next time if he comes by again. My mistake. You guys still like me don't you? :^) Happy Thanksgiving to all. BW aka UB

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Alright UB....I'll let that one slide...for now.  Great story, thanks.  Happy Thanksgiving!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Like you? I hate you! I`m soo green with envy I could upchuck. After spending over 40 times on stand and not having a chance at any deer, it is cool to read about things like this. Seriously awesome story, hope you tag a giant.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
I think you found the honeyhole, the mating ground, the whitetail bedroom.  Incredible, I experienced a similar season hunting muley deer.  It may never happen again, enjoy it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
A great story well told. I guess we still like you.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Thanks for writing, BW, UB and the one I like... BB.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
If you don't want to shoot him, I know a very nice plot of ground in Johnson County, Wyoming, that would be a nice home for him for a while
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Always depends on what's in your area, Barry.

Can't hate a man with discipline when there are so many other good opportunities close to hand!

Just makes me eyes bleed reading about all the opportunities... Like Big River, been chasing all bow season and not ONE legal animal in range...

In my area, seeing any legal deer can be a thrill, and passing one might be the last one you see...but where you are...MORE POWER to you...

Still takes discipline...but that is a grand area in which you live/hunt!

You go, Barry!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Awesome story and it made me remember a rack I came onto. First let me say my home state (except for four bow hunting only counties!) a 3.5 is ancient and 2.5 are extremely scarce. Hard to believe some actually live through their prime and live longer.

So several years back I was doing the electrical contracting of rewiring a old barn, the house was a total loss. Only one part of the barn was "saved" and this rack immediaty caught my eye. The new owner said I could have it so I snatched it. I was actually wiring the new home of the old farmer to boot as he sold the farm and moved to the city. So I asked him about it.

He said son, "Between my sons, myself, neighbors and other relatives we've kilt alot of bucks on that farm and surrounding farms! SOME EVEN WHERE IN SEASON!! Every year one of us would catch of glimpse of him but no one ever got him. For the few that got a glimpse of him in his prime he was something to see! Yes sir he was the talk of the county, everyone called him "Ol Buck" though truthfully only a few ever laid eyes on him.  We finally found his skelton one spring and I cut his skull plate off. I figured he lived and died on that farm, survived a barn fire so I'd just leave him there with the farm. But it sounds like he's found a new home, he's yours!  

I was always gona do a rack mount of him just out of respect but just never did. It really deserves it seeming how to die of old age living in a enviroment that folks would shoot him given the chance whether legal or not! A true warrior too. Hope this new photo bucket thing works.

Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Dave Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Barry,
Very vivid and poignant description of an "old warrior" buck. By seeing, & almost feeling his pain in his face and letting him walk, your true hunter's
heart gave him the salute and respect he has earned and deserves.

Your a class guy Mr. Wensel!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Jeesh, that's a great season already, good luck on another big one!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Thank you for this year's anniversary story BW!

So glad that our Creator has gotten you back in the stand!

Keep it comin'!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
This is such a great read and inspiration that I look forward to logging on to check out any updates!  Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Barry!

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
sounds to me like you made the right choice.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
This thread is awsome! I've been looking for it and any updates since I first saw it in the line-up. Thank you again Sir.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
Hey Unka Barry, I'm not jealous (maybe just a little)    :p      I'm happy for you because I know a man like you NEEDS these kinds of experiences.. My hunting has been cut back this year. A week before I was supposed to leave for Shrew Haven I ended up in the hospital with a little heart problem...bad timing I'm thinkin..     :(   The Doc didn't want me to make the trip this year so I listened to him. Maybe I'm getting smarter in my old age..    :rolleyes:  

Somehow reading about your hunting experiences this fall has helped make up for the lack of my own. I'm hunting vicariously through your stories so please keep them coming...and next time you're in that special stand and you feel a presence near you..it's just me, looking over your shoulder..    :D
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Hey Unka Barry, I'm not jealous (maybe just a little)     :p       I'm happy for you because I know a man like you NEEDS these kinds of experiences.. My hunting has been cut back this year. A week before I was supposed to leave for Shrew Haven I ended up in the hospital with a little heart problem...bad timing I'm thinkin..      :(    The Doc didn't want me to make the trip this year so I listened to him. Maybe I'm getting smarter in my old age..     :rolleyes:    

Somehow reading about your hunting experiences this fall has helped make up for the lack of my own. I'm hunting vicariously through your stories so please keep them coming...and next time you're in that special stand and you feel a presence near you..it's just me, looking over your shoulder..     :D  
Me too Ron, first time in my damn life I cant hunt. Surgery has me down and out, living through Tradgang stories.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©