3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 100 Year Old Man  (Read 3075 times)

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 100 Year Old Man
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Aw man.. so now you guys are looking over my shoulder? So if I miss I can't lie about it? Yesterday morning all I saw was a doe and fawn but I did see a bobcat. In fact I saw two bobs yesterday. When I first got up I saw something sitting in my driveway. I put the binocs on it and it was a bobcat just sitting there. I think he was on stand using the help of the yardlight for mice. I tried hunting yesterday afternoon but aborted after only a half hour with winds blowing in four directions. I got up this morning at 4:30 and the winds were howling. They said gusts to 40 MPH decreasing to 30 MPH later in the day. Wrong answer.. went back to bed. BW

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Great couple of days in the deer woods. Excellent story.

Offline wckid2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
I really like to hunt whitetails and always like to harvest as well. Ive taken some big deer and not so big deer. Im always exicted about the harvest. I dont hunt deer just to kill. Ive always felt some sadness when I walk up to a deer that I harvest. I hope that I always have that feeling.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Great stuff Barry,especially the "Old Man" part of the story.  I like the phrase "let him pick his final bed". Very fitting. And to see him later watching you is neat. Like you wondered, how many times has that happened?
 If you'd filled your tag with him, look at what you would have been missing with those other bucks. Good luck with the rest of the season, and may it be the best of the season.
 Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: November 23, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Cool stories.  Still looking forward to some pic's of the ol' boy.

By the way Gene and Barry, whatever happened to Tyrone the melanistic buck?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
unbeleivable that this has 11 pages associated with it. great read

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Jon Simoneau offered to walk me through the process of downloading the video footage to the computer but I'm half afraid I'm going to screw something up and erase it. Watching him slowly walk off still chokes me up. Gene sent me a trail camera photo of another really old looking buck he saw this year. Pretty impressive stuff. bw

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
UB, glad your health has improved and you are in the woods again.

This Thread has my full attention.  Good luck tomorrow!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
He wasn't really running and I was totally confident in the shot. I'm usually very good at those shots. Unfortunately it was not meant to be. No excuses. I simply shot just below his heart missing him clean. Right about then I said to myself "Golly gee, gosh darn, son of a gun, dag nab it".. or something like that. I'll tell you one thing, when I was in my prime I bet I would have got him. I'll be right back... it gets better. BW
UB (I feel like I should call you Mr. Wensel), this makes me laugh out loud... Just like your videos I've watched so many times.  Hunting October whitetails is my all time favorite!!  And because of that video, we all know you can make those running shots like nobody's business!  I think you're still in your prime, there is just a bigger buck out there with your name on it.
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »
Have you seen the picture titled "The Old Warrior"?

The buck in this picture has a huge rack but his G1 and G2 are broken off clear down to the main beam, he has a drop tine on his left side with a broadhead sticking out of it, a tear and a bullet hole in his left ear, he's blind in his right eye with a long scar above and below his eye, he has a scratch on his nose that is bleeding, a scratch on his chest and barbed wire tangled aroung his antlers.

Love that picture.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Got me curious so I googled "the old warrior" and found it pretty easily.

Here's a link.

http://country-art.com/ca/the_old_warrior.htm
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
What a fun thread to follow along and laugh, dream and ponder.  Keep the updates coming thoughout the rest of the season Barry.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Shows that hunting is more than killing something.Good story Barry.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Brother you did the right thing..Would love to see the footage..The connection we have with the whitetail can not be put into words..Well maybe one word..Respect..Hats off to you...

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Gene asked me to post a few "100 year old man" pics here, so I will post the pic and the text he sent along with it...stand by.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »

"I can't say for sure how old this old this one is but he is not in good shape. Looks like he broke both of his front legs at the knees when he apparently got caught in a fence or maybe hit by a vehicle. I always marvel at how tough these critters are and how much pain he must have endured while trying to eat enough to stay alive and avoid coyotes for several months while his knees healed up. Amazing animals! This is yet another buck I've never laid eyes on. He's still out there."

Gene Wensel

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »

"This old boy has never been seen by me. I know he is still out there."

Gene Wensel

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »

"This old man walked by me at less than 20 feet on November 4th. I let him pass undisturbed."

Gene Wensel

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »

"This old warrior was killed two years after this photo was taken. His teeth determined he was 13 1/2 years old so he was 11 1/2 in this photo."

Gene Wensel

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Boy if that photo doesn't look right through you..That were respect comes in...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©