3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 100 Year Old Man  (Read 3070 times)

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 100 Year Old Man
« Reply #180 on: November 24, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Great story!  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: November 24, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
one of the best stories that has been posted on here, what a great read!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: November 24, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
Those are some amazing photos. Thank you.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
Awesome!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve O:

"This old warrior was killed two years after this photo was taken. His teeth determined he was 13 1/2 years old so he was 11 1/2 in this photo."

Gene Wensel
Boy  this picture is worth a thousand words  :readit:  Just to think how much he has seen and been through, amazing!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Great thread! Thanks Barry  :)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
Originally posted by Steve O:
[qb]  

"This old warrior was killed two years after this photo was taken. His teeth determined he was 13 1/2 years old so he was 11 1/2 in this photo."

Gene Wensel [/b]

That old guy looks like how I feel sometimes.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
I saw an ancient deer like this once. Took a shot and clean missed him broadside at 18 yards. He kept walking, didn't flinch, was like he was a ghost. Could not believe what I had just seen.
Later, I met my friend, Joe, who happened to be hunting the same drainage about 1 mile away. He told me about a really old deer that came his way. He came broadside and Joe clean missed him at 12 yards.  Now Joe is an crack shot,  typically nails a Styrofoam coffee cup at 30 yards all day long. This deer just wandered off, undisturbed like nothing had ever happened.
Maybe, he just wasn't ready to meet his maker.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Heck, I got choked up just reading your post!    :(  
Where's my hanky?

Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
.......I honestly got choked up.  BW
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Great experiences Barry!! I enjoyed every word. Thanks for sharing.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
This thread makes me wonder how many times I have thought there were "no deer around" while an old timer like this one stood there and silently watched me.

It has probably happened a dozen times and I was clueless. I can picture an old buck or doe in some comfortable bed under a pine still laughing at me and wondering when I will learn my lessons.

Guess I should slow down and use my eyes more than my head to look around. Maybe someday I might get lucky and see one of the old smart ones. Especially since you have taught us UB that the big ones are usually "slow walkers". I genuinely wonder how many times a set of eyes has been watching me while I didn't have the slightest clue.

Good on you for the lessons passed on to those of us with less experience. Thanks for your insight, lessons on big bucks and an overall great post. Your top quality UB.

Thanks again,
-Charlie

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
This thread has me thinking a lot also.  The more I think about it I believe that outside a cruising November buck traveling long distance that you need to be setup within 100 yards or so of where a deer is bedded for the day in order to have a chance to even see the deer during daylight. I bet that more deer are spooked by entry to a hunting area than anything. I also think they will not necessarily run like hell. But rather just stay bedded knowing you do not see them and simply wait for you to leave before rising and moving. I actually witnessed this scenario this season while some bedded deer stayed tight while a couple of cross gun hunters were talking laughing smoking and building a ground blind within 100 yards of where the deer were bedded. The deer paid attention to them but were not worried in the least bit. These were public land deer that had obviously played that game many times and were confident they would win again.

Offline Fourfletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
I think the old timer that told this fine story was looking into a mirror: saw himself - saw the old buck and thought : old age beats the alternative for BOTH of us.                                                    PS: Barry,you truly have a gift with words.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
Well thank you. Maybe I should just write a book. Ha. It's 5:15 AM, 32 degrees, wind out of the north at 8 MPH... I'm outta here. BW

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2012, 06:41:00 AM »
Thank you Barry, I enjoyed listening to your words. I believe that everything starts and ends with the heart. If we take the time to pray for His will, He speaks to us through the heart. Trust in Him, you made the right choice.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
cool as hell.  thanks for posting that!
is it September yet??

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
It is a real belssing to be able to see an old timer like that.  Even greater to be able to pass and let him walk on.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Just for those who think I'm not "normal", I got up this morning to a base temp of 14 degrees and chill factor of 9. Not that bad but the winds were predicted out of the SW and they were actually out of the NW. So while I thought about which stand I most likely would screw up I went back to bed. BW

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Awesome read, thanks for sharing these stories.  Just started re-reading "Buckskin and Bone" last night, and have to completely agree with Gene about storytelling in that one.  

Maybe I should go back and re-listen to my "Rambling Rednecks" tape today as well...you guys have a gift for telling stories.

"Heeeeyyyy...Carrots!"
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Barry I feel your heart, though I haven't hunted these gritters as long as you, I been there.  About 5 years ago I set up on public land and had few deer come by.  Then about hour later off the beaten deer path, through a thicket was a deer moving.  I turned around and watched, it was a doe, she was huge for illinois, looked like a canada deer.  At first I thought she was picking her way through the thicket being careful, then I realized it was just her old age.  She had a vast amount of white hair on her, and seem to labor with every stride.  Now keep in mind she wasn't in exquisit pain, just like we look at a person whom is 90 and still healthy but arthitict.  I watched her move and slowly browse and noticed she studied the other animal movement.  Not just deer but squirrel's, birds and such.  Then like Barry, I thought of everything she lived through and how honored I felt to be in the presance of a queen of survival and evasion.  I felt she had the right to move through and that with all she has been through and gave to mother nature as well as us, she deserved to ride off in the sunset.  I felt blessed to have been able to fooled the sense's and see a great animal as her.  That is to me what hunting is about, the interaction with mother nature herself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©