3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 100 Year Old Man  (Read 3079 times)

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 100 Year Old Man
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Barry - You had a rare encounter and enjoyed the experience for what it was.

I'm not sure if it's age or what, but the older I get, the more I become "the observer" rather than "the hunter".  As most everyone here, the thought would have entered my mind to "end his suffering"....but I know I could not have done it....and had I done it, I would be lesser for it.

This story makes me think of the words of John Muir:

"Most people are on the world, not in it - have no conscious sympathy or relationship to anything about them - undiffused, separate, and rigidly alone like marbles of polished stone, touching but separate."

"Let children walk with Nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communions of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is stingless indeed, and as beautiful as life."

One thing is for sure.....the story of that ol' boy has touched a lot of hunter's souls.  Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing photos of him.

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
UB, I think that as I get older I am more compelled to relate to these old fellas. We are rapidly getting to the same point in life as the old warrior you shared the morning with..
Respect for a loved one---.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
In that situation I would have felt unworthy of shooting that deer, but personally fully enriched from having the experience of just seeing him.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Pat I'm seeing things that way too. It seems I'm relating more to the animals as I get older. If I stop bowhunting one day I believe it will be due to age and just having a different perspective on life.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
We will be "him" some day. No longer able to pull our bow, just barely able to walk to the kitchen or the car. We can not stop it.
John

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing the story UB. Most "hunters" wouldn't understand your story including many of my "hunting friends". Nevermind the "nons" and "antis". This is possibly  the best story (and replies) that I've read on Trad Gang and reconfirms what a great site that this and to share with such fine people.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Great story.How can you have anything but respect for an old warrior like that?Understand how you feel about it.Thanks for sharing.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Thanks UB.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Thanks Barry for taking the time to share this story with us.  What a great testament as to why most of us are out in  the timber.  I really appreciate that we have an archery site where these observations can be shared.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Uncle B, that little description brought tears to my eyes. You get it, always did. Raise a glass to the old warriors, the survivors, the ones that find a way to get to spring when the grass is green. He may not make it but what a life he had. Here's to the old ones...
Mike Davenport

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing your intimate thoughts Barry.
That is a decision each person would have to make for themselves, neither right nor wrong, but out of respect.
I applaud your decision.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I think I would put out a feeder if it were legal. Add some fish oil and ibuprofen to the mix. Help the ol' guy out.
  :pray:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing such a touching experience. Like Elkchaser just said, "intimate". I've had to put down old horses and dogs, some of the toughest things I've had to do.

I work with the elderly and have sat with them in thier last moments on earth.

God bless you and your thoughtfulness.

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
The older I get (I'm almost 72 now) the better this kind of story sets for me.  Hope the old fella makes it even longer.

Joe

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Great story. I enjoy time spent online or else where with people that "feel" and think.RC

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Great story Barry.  You have great respect for the game we hunt.  Thanks for your time.  Ken

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Good tale! Would non-hunters understand at all. We, as HUNTERS, always have been and always will be the caretakers of all the animals that roam the planet earth.    :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Uncle Barry.....  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:  

The PETA folks just don't have a clue to who we REALLY are do they ??? Great story and thanks for your open and honest feelings you put out there for us all to see.   :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
What I'm writing now pertains to me. I will never tell another what to do, nor do I want them to tell me.
I've never been a mercy killer when it comes to game. If its alive, it is meant to be. If I want to take it for myself, I am the predator that plays mother natures part just as a coyote or harsh winter would. If I for some reason wouldnt take it, except because of a feeling of mercy...not my job.
If the animal tries to get away, it instinctively wants to live. I respect that and will let it walk. Mother nature will claim it when its due,to old age, weather or another hunter who is glad to harvest it.
 I know there are circumstances, a deer hit by a car with its guts strooned all over the road that has 10 minutes to live and suffer, etc. Each instance is different.
A big old deer like that, I'd be honored to see him. Letting him walk is just a tip of the hat from one seasoned woodsman to the well seasoned beast.
I'm sure he doesnt mind you let him pass.
David M. Conroy

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Awesome post Barry.  Stories like that make this website a place I enjoy looking at.  Thanks for taking us along.
CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©