3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad the rest of the season  (Read 258 times)

Offline yogibarrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad the rest of the season
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Alright after 2 misses earlier this year I lost confidence and switched to the wheel bow, but now I'm going to hunt the rest of the season with the recurve regardless of the outcome.

Offline mathews8pt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad the rest of the season
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Good for you!  Hang in there and it will likely happen!!

I hunted mostly with the recurve this year, but last week i hunted a stand that dictated taking my compound(shot distance was 20+) and ended up killing a buck.  Now the wheelie is up for sale and i have another recurve on the way.  Next year i will be sure to set my stands for closer shots.
If your not having fun, your doing something wrong!
Morrison ILF  54@28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Good luck!  I even went out a few times during rifle with my bow.  I am really starting to scare myself with how much power the trad bow holds over me.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Shot 3 deer this year with my recurve and kept the shots to 10 yards or less.

10, 5 and 9 yards respectively on my shots this year. No confidence question at that distance for me! Now I can focus on getting my daughter her first deer!

My point in all that is to get your stands in where you feel comfortable with your shot. Know your limitations and operate within them. I am not confident enough to shoot past 15 yards.

Some might say I stink if I can't shoot that far, but at least I know my limitations and work with them. I have always been good at getting close to deer and now I am getting better at shooting deer when they are close! It is a learning process. Stay with it!

God bless and good luck!

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
I am like you, I won't take a shot unless I am real confident with the distance, my stands are usually a 15 yard max or less!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
I did hunt with my compound this year and took a buck from a ground blind I made myself, at 10yds. I will take my recurve next year, and am sold on making my own blinds. The only $ I spent was on the 5 gallon bucket that I sat on!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
I did the exact same thing this year, but I missed two and was unfortunate to hit another in the leg...sickened me. At that point I went back to the wheels but for only one hunt because it just did not feel right.

I spent the next week practicing and fine tuning my equipment, which rebuilt my confidence.  The following Saturday I was able to take my first trad buck and it was awesome.  Now I have the confidence to know when I pull back on one and want to take it then it is mine.

Hang in there and you will FEEL it and you will know you are there.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Once you start to shoot a stick bow......
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Ive gone trad. all season, for all seasons. To me theres just something magical about a 70" longbow and a back quiver full of wood shafts, tipped with sharp broadheads.
Win, lose or draw, just trying to get it done with my old longbow suits me just fine.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Keep at it. Hunting isnt so much of killing a deer, its more of finding the deer.The fun of being out and trying the trad bow (miss or hit) is still a fond memory for life.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Thanks for posting, yogibarrows!  I have been feeling a little guilt because of my decision to pick up the old smokepole after a challenging first season afield with the recurve.  3 bucks later, I'm tagged out on antlered deer and ready to pick up the Holm-Made RiverRunner again to chase the flatheads.

Naturally, this means a HUGE buck will step out and laugh at my decision to shoot #3 so soon.

:archer:

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I still have yet to get a deer this season due to a couple different reasons beyond my control. I'm putting in the time, just not getting any shots. I have not considered changing weapons and don't plan to. I will just keep crossing my fingers and hope things improve.

On the grand scale of things it really does not matter what weapon you use as long as you are happy doing it. I am never as happy with any other weapon as I am with my longbow!

Bisch

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Stick with it.  Traditional bowhunting WILL NOT WORK if you do not have confidence in it.  You'll overthink, be over cautious, waste opportunities.

The BEST practice is roving and stumpshooting.  Get out in hunting conditions and practice finding windows and getting your brain ballistically programmed for arrow flight.  It truly pays off big time.  Squirrel hunting with blunts is another excellent way to get comfy with your weapon.

But you have to have confidence that when you release that arrow will go where it needs to.  Otherwidse you'll be dropping your bow arm and lifting your head to see what happens.  KNOW what happens before you release.  

Sounds hokey, but I have found this to be true.  Sharp broadheads in the lungs kill deer.  Know this and know you have the skills . .  because you practiced hard and well.  

:thumbsup:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline j_haus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I got a little impatient with the recurve when the rut started and bucks were running, and used the wheels.  I figured I'd just doe hunt with the recurve after I got my buck.  Well, 2 days after I shot my buck with the compound I have a nice 10 point around the 150" range come in and offer me the perfect quartering shot at 7 yards.  I just watched him for a minute or 2 until he wandered off looking for a doe just like I was.  Patience is a virtue, and I for one need could stand to have a little more.
Mark 8:36 "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"
Diamondback Venom II 42@26
You call, we haul, that's all!

Offline archeryx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
I've hunted most of the season with the longbow.  After paper cutting on the back of the leg, a gift wrapped, apple in the mouth, rotating on a spit, 9 pt at 10 yds, I shot a different 9 pt. the next day with my compound.  Don't feel guilty a bit for shooting my buck with the compound.  I do feel guilty for blowing what may be my best opportunities ever with the longbow.  Buck or doe, I'm still extremely upset about the shot.  Typing about it gets my blood pressure up.  I'll get over it someday.

I practice and practice and practice.  I'm still too inconsistent. I'm not quitting or giving up. Time will tell.  Trust me, nobody wants me to hunt with the stickbow more than me. I can't put it in that magical 3-4" circle every shot.  I tell myself every time that the shot will be in there, but it isn't. I've tried concentrating harder, relaxing, you name it.  Hopefully someday, everything will click and make sense.

I do have two does under my belt with the longbow and recurve over the years.  Both center lung hits just behind the shoulder.  Both also were lights out in less than 30 seconds.  Lucky???? Considering my shooting as of the last couple of months, probably.  

Hunt the way you feel that you have the best opportunity to make an efficient kill.  It's only fair to the game we chase.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
I went all traditional during the hunting season of 2009.  I even sold my $1,000 PSE compound set up.  I didn't have a shot at a deer in range (compound, recurve, or otherwise) that entire year.  But, I had moved for a job and was hunting a new area I was completely unfamiliar with.  I saw deer, just nothing in my wheel house.

Last year I decided I needed to get some meat in the freezer and bought myself a used compound.  I ended up getting two does (both less than 15y shots) and one with a smokepole late in the season.  So, my freezer was again full of meat.  I spent the rest of that year searching for a doe with the trad bow, but the deer were real skittish and I never had anything in range.

Back to this year, I'm hunting again with the wheels and ended up shooting my largest buck ever ( a 150 and 2/8") 9 pt at 22y with my compound.  I decided to shelve that bow (maybe for good, not quite sure yet) and try to fill doe tags with my trad bow.  Of course I've only seen bucks since Oct 20 and not a single doe in range.

Funny how that works....But if you want to dedicate yourself to 100% trad, just do it.  Best way to is to sell the wheels and stay committed.  If you enjoy the meat, you may want to hunt a gun season to fill the freezer and spend the rest of the time on your quest with the trad bow.

Somedays it's all about the hunt (most times) and others I'm after some meat.  Either way, I want to hunt with the weapon that will make the most humane kill.

My decision to go back to the wheels is due mostly to not practicing enough with the trad bow.  I recently got back into fishing, purchased a small fishing boat, so I spent most of my off-hunting season time fishing instead of shooting like I did in 2009.
>>>--------->

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
I've been hunting lots with the recurve, and missed one awkward shot at a doe behind my tree, then this past weekend I missed when THREE bucks came trotting by my stand at 8 yards. Didn't have much time, and had to shoot sitting down, string hit my bow arm, big jacket, cold weather.
Just not getting many shot opportunities this year, and got one doe with compound last month.

The single biggest thing with me is once the season starts my trad treestand practice goes to almost zero for a variety of reasons. Before the season, 7days a week!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
hang is there... remember it is supposed to bee fun so relax and wait for that high % shot and aim small.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©