3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 fingers under  (Read 574 times)

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 fingers under
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Practice when it's tuned how you're gonna hunt with it. A lot of the fun when starting out is learning to make your set-ups accurate and then quiet. I shoot 3 under and it takes tweaking, but it's worth it to play around 'til you're satisfied. Lots of good advice above, keep askin' away...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Al Dean is correct as far as Tiller is concerned!

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
I have tillerd every bow I built to  an even tiller and I shoot 3 under. Have friends that shoot them split finger and they have no problems with them.

Offline rcoulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Chortdraw:
I have tillerd every bow I built to  an even tiller and I shoot 3 under. Have friends that shoot them split finger and they have no problems with them.
I'm not having any problems with my bow just a notable difference in sound. Not sure if it is really louder but the pitch is definitely different.

Offline HawkeyeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Yeah, when i switched to 3 under. . . definately noticed an increase in noise. But, the increase in accuracy helped make it tolerable.

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
rcoulas - hang in there, it's worth the effort.  A couple years from now you'll wonder what you were thinking to ever shoot one of those wheelie arrow flinging devices.

As mentioned, 3 under usually requires a higher nocking point, especially if you're shooting very heavy point weight (200 gr+).  You might need your nock point as high as almost 1" above square, your arrow nocked under it.
Dan Brockman

Offline rcoulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
I will not go back to a wheel bow, It's just one of those plateaus I'm sure we all reach and my shooting will improve over time. Switching to 3 under has started the ball rolling in the right direction.

Offline 3undr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
rcoulas  once you get your bow where you want it check out some of rick welch's videos, i'm only saying this because i was starting out like you and trying to get some kind of repeatable form and was doing ok but after learning to use a second anchor like the feather to my nose my accuracy improved greatly.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Al Dean:
    Actually I believe the bottom limb needs to be weakend slightly to achieve an even tiller for 3 under. Also my opinion as to increased noise is that the limbs are bottoming out at different times with 3 under, for lack of any other reason I have heard.

X2
X3
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline rcoulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by 3undr:
rcoulas  once you get your bow where you want it check out some of rick welch's videos, i'm only saying this because i was starting out like you and trying to get some kind of repeatable form and was doing ok but after learning to use a second anchor like the feather to my nose my accuracy improved greatly.
I watched some video clips and used the new knowledge to change my anchor and include a second point. I noticed an improvement in accuracy right away. Thanks for the advice.

Randy

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Cheers for this thread guys. I've just experimented with raising my nocking point and a couple of other little tips picked up from this thread and can notice a definite improvement in constancy.
Another little piece of the puzzle has slotted into place.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
I would put a nock under the arrow and just give it a light squeeze so it still slides,, now put an arrow on the string and draw it back so the nock slides to where it needs to be and then squeeze it tight right there--- now get a file and carefully file any sharp edges off those nocks so one doesn't eventually cut your glove.
"Us vs Them"

Offline LarryP243

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
According to John at Black Widow all the BW bows are now and have been for quite a while  tillered the same , you just tune the bows by raising the nock for 3-under. he said this is true for their recurves as well as their longbows

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by LarryP243:
According to John at Black Widow all the BW bows are now and have been for quite a while  tillered the same , you just tune the bows by raising the nock for 3-under. he said this is true for their recurves as well as their longbows
and you'll notice since they did this more people complained about the bows being loud,, I've owned 4 of them but a friend who shot 3 under owned two and had to sell them where he thought they where way too loud in the woods shooting at a something with ears
"Us vs Them"

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I can't explain why but I thought my bows were quiet until I started shooting split. Even my longbows that were tillered for three under all became deathly quiet! I tried everything previously but could not seem to get them as quiet as I like.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline 3undr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
i have always shot 3 under and most of the bows i shoot are tillered split. that said i can get them pretty quiet but never as quiet as my friend who shoots split finger.that's just the price i pay for shooting 3 under lol  never had a bow tillered 3 under but i think it would be more quiet

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Most of my bows aren't that noticable noise wise shooting three under.
I have a Hummingbird L/B that is very noticable and was one of my favorites when I shot split finger. I'm thinking seriously of having it re tillered for 3 under.
With that said my Hummingbird TD likes 3 under.I just can't see ever going back to split finger.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
I'm no Bowyer, but I would think that 3 fingers under would put more stress on the lower limb, there by creating more resinance, in the upper limb and string= noise
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I also have shot three under for years.  I have come to think that the range of tune for quite shooting is smaller than when shooting split.  In other words silencer placement and brace height etc are a bit less forgiving.  Get them in the right spot and you will have a quite shooting bow.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
Shoot a lighter ring finger for three under. This will create the same string triangle as split. Where second finger is last on the string . If you have too , duct tape your ring finger straight.

If one shoots a heavy ring finger using three under then they will bend the bottom limb further thus making it shorter on even tiller. Moving nock up higher reduces this but also REMEBER to slightly build your rest up same height as you moved your nock up....BINGO

Or slap on a stick on rest!!!!!!

Good luck
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©