3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew Doubles Down and the New Lucky Hat!!!!  (Read 371 times)

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Shrew Doubles Down and the New Lucky Hat!!!!
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Got my first double this AM!!! Will post more later but heres the pics from this AM!

Tagged up ready for the truck!

One Happy Hunter and my new lucky hat!

"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew Doubles Down and the New Lucky Hat!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Congratulations, how far apart were the shots? I just  got done processing 2 deer, I'd offer to help, but I'm worn out from it :-)

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Congrats!  :thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Way to go!
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
nice job , congrats   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Realy like the HAT !!!!  

Oh nice shooting congats.  :clapper:    :clapper:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Cool. Congrats!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Totally awesome, congrats on some fine eating!   :archer2:

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  way to go sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
My first Super Shrew Samurai that I got in 1999 I took out and bagged two dandy does 20 minutes apart up at Shrewhaven Lodge. Of course it was nice to have the tradition with my buddy Greg that we never gut our own deer, so after he gutted the first deer and was starting to take off his gutting gloves I said "hold on a minute you've got some more work right over there".

Happiness is a Shrew double play. Congratulations.  :thumbsup:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Great job David.nor suprised after I saw you shoot at Ray's.   :wavey:      :thumbsup:
Just noticed your shirt or tee what is it if I may ask.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Awesome!  Love my Shrew, but I have never doubled with it!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Nicely Done!  Congrats!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Nice   :clapper:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Nice !!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Lots of tender venison there!  Congratulations on your double!     :thumbsup:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Good shooting!

That's some hat, but we'll let you take some skill credit as well.    :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Let me start by thanking everyone who has posted thus far! All the comments are greatly appreciated. Kip M thats a predator camo long sleeve t in the deception brown.
Now for the story:
 Got up around 5 and got washed up. Knew which stand I was going to hunt due the wind. I had left my Lone Wolf Assault Hung with no sticks a few weeks back. Go to the woods about 550 it was starting to get light and the turkeys roosted near by didn't like this dark creature slowing climbing up this tree.
 Sticks and I went up the tree pretty quick and I had by pack and bow tied off at the bottom of the tree so it only took one accent to be in hunt mode. Once fastened and on stand I pulled up my gear and got everything situated. It wasn't very long before the show began.
 By 605 the turkey had started there fly down rituals. First the gobblers came down and all landed within 20 yards of each other. There was a minimum of 8 may 12 longbeards that went into immediate strut. Then came the hens and the young birds. This is an old patch of timber with big roost trees and plenty of them. So in turn there are lots of birds that roost in this woods.
 By 630 I had just a guesstimation of at least 50 birds possibly upwards of 75 at about 100 yards. You wanna talk about racket. It was full on barn yard style stuff. Fighting, strutting, pecking, running, flying, you name it was going on. Only one jake ever ventured within my kill zone and was moving thru with no time to spare. Tention was put on the string but that was the most danger that bird was in cause he didn't stick around long.
 Took about 20 minutes and the turkey headed south toward a long filter strip for a full breakfast of bugs on this unusually warm Nov. morning. 60 degress!!
 Also saw an abundance of squirrels and two racoons. The coons made quite a commotion when one tried to go into what I can only assume was not its den because the coon in the den was not very happy to have guest at 700 AM!
 I text my buddy Mike (wapiti792) to give him an up date of the moring hunt. I was grumbling about gun hunters and the fact that Id seen no deer and as always encouraging woods were returned to my phone within a few moments.
 The woods I was sitting in is ideal for a south wind which I had and is a prime place to catch a cruising buck during the rut... which it is. So with those odds I had planned to stay put for awhile.
 By 745 I had a hot doe come thru and she was hauling the mail. Always a good sign during the rut. But the buck behind this hot mama wasn't what I was looking for and wasn't even close to being in range if he was. I know many of you don't have the option to pass on bucks and I just wanna state publicly I am very thankful to live and have access to a place where I can hope to get a shot at a mature whitetail.
 So it went for about the next hour. Saw a few more bucks. Young guns who with some years may turn into some dandys. At around 10 min after 8 I noticed a doe coming in from the southwest. I lost her thru the brush a few times but everytime I would spot her she was feeding slowly like she had no cares in the world.
 I took it by her browsing that she wasn't in heat. Then I noticed she had a fawn with her. I watched them work towards my hide the last 100 yards. Told myself I was going to take a shot if presented. Knew there wasn't any bucks following from the time it took them to feed to me.
 The doe got within range first. Completely unaware of me or my position. She browsed up to 12 yards and turn broadside slightly quartering away. Now....tension had been put on the string for sometime and I had watched these deer for a good 20 min. Just long enough to gain concentration and lose it and get it back.
 She paused for just a moment. I drew hit anchor and released. My arrow grazes her front shoulder. She jumps in shock and bounds a few yards and stops. My jaw dropping was louder than the bow going off! I couldn't believe I just missed. Was replaying the miss in my mind when I see that the deer gods are smiling at me.
 The doe decides she gonna keep heading the direction she was going but only from a different direction. Replay has to be put on pause. I nocked another arrow and she stops. Further away this time perfectly broadside. Draw anchor release. Arrows off I hear a hit but knew the arrow was left. This puts my arrow too far forward not back. She taks a couple of bounds and stops. I can see in the morning sun I have hit her in what appears to be in front of the shoulder. I see mass amounts of blood being lost in short time. She tried walking but it was quite apparant there was a huge blood pressure drop because she took two steps and fell over.
 The fawn bolts and makes a circle. I'm on auto pilot. Dragging deer out skinning none of this is a concern. Ive knocked another arrow and the fawn is working its way directly behind me. I had to turn face the tree draw into my safety harness. Dropped the string on the fawn at 4 yards. Hit high on the entrance and severed the spine put took out lungs. The fawn expired within seconds. I had just taken 2 deer for the first time with traditional equipment.
 I collected gear and got down to investigate. Went to fawn first and took a couple of photos and retrieved my arrow. Then went to my first arrow the miss. 12 steps from the tree. All I can say is.....don't kill them before you kill them. Stay focused. Then on the the lethal arrow. Stepped off at 25 yards. Quite a poke for me. Went to the doe and realized I didn't hit the shoulder but actually caught her artery's and wind pipe in her throat. Ive never missed so good. Elevation was perfect but arrow was left. Must have let my elbow creep.
 Ive said prayers of thanks today and Ill say again. I'm thankful for this website and the opportunity to share my hunt with all you folks. I didn't know when I ordered my new Trad Gang.com hat that it came with the good mojo! Its my new lucky hat! Have a blessed Thanksgiving and Happy Hunting!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing ANOTHER successful hunt David.  You're a whitetail killin machine!  Congratulations  :notworthy:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©