3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tillered Question - 3 Finger or Split Finger  (Read 158 times)

Offline dougk61

• Trad Bowhunter
Tillered Question - 3 Finger or Split Finger
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I read that the tiller for a 3 finger was different that the tiller for s split finger.  Also I read that the tiller design was a science.  I go back and forth between split finger and 3 finger and would like to understand how to optimize my shooting depending if I was using 3 finger or split fingers.  Does anyone have the data points behind this science?  I am very interested in fully understanding the tiller topic.  

thanks

Doug

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillered Question - 3 Finger or Split Finger
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Bows tillered for three under are normal equal while a little positive upper for split.

Basically I do not think it matters that much since you can adjust nock point position to adjust for a difference in tiller. Example a bow tillered for split can be shot well three under by raising nocking point.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
In the last two dozen or so bows I've owned some wer tillered split, some three under, most unknown. I really didnt see any noticable difference in any of them shooting three under. My nock point on all were around 9/16ths to 5/8ths with no real trend on how the bow was tillered. Tune for good broadhead flight and dont sweat the small stuff.........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Tiller is just a measurement from the string to the fades top and bottom.... it can be + or - an 1/8" and shoot excellent..... balancing the limbs to the pressure point on the grip is the important thing. if your limbs are bending the same and you are even tiller, it's just a matter of adjusting the string nock and your hand placement to get things dialed in....

That is the biggest reason why some people shoot a bow excellent and others don't care for the same bow at all.

Offline dougk61

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Thanks guys,

I found it interesting that a few makers discuss tiller while others make no mention of the tiller.  I am currently shooting split finger but do practice with 3 under occasionally.

Offline Stoutstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
I was talking to Arvid Danielson of Black Swan a few days ago and asked about switching to 3 under from my split finger release using his bows. He said that because the Black Swan has a longer working limb all I needed to do was tune the nock on it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©