3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A new convert, hats off to KentuckyTJ  (Read 255 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
A new convert, hats off to KentuckyTJ
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
A fellow that I work with has been asking me about traditional archery. He is a longtime successful compound hunter. I told him the advantages of shooting a traditional bows and I  had him come out the house to try a few of ours.  He had a bunch of natural ability and just took to it that first night. I measured his draw at 27inches. I had him shoot my Welch dakota pro hunter and our A&H longbows before he made any commitment to traditional. I also encouraged him to get on tradgang and search the post. He remained interested so we looked for a used bow on the classifieds. I posted what I was looking for and KentuckyTJ emailed us the specs on a tall tines. It seemed perfect for him but not so much for me. The 58 inch bow came Saturday and he has been dieing to shoot it. He brought it over tonight and we started from the begining. I showed him how to change the brace height, use a stringer, etc. I am very impressed with the bow, I am only 5'7" but have a 29.5 inch draw. I drew the little bow to my anchor without any problem and it is smooth. I had shot a tall tines a few years back at Kalamazoo so I really thought it would work for him. We started bareshafting arrows out of the bow and I had an arrow combination for my draw shooting crazy fast in no time. Methodically, thinking his shot process through we worked ahead. I have several dozen of different arrow combinations in my shop. Watching him shoot, checking bareshaft flight, we got closer to finding him the right arrow and point weight combination. Not to over do it, I decided to wait till tomorrow, start fresh while letting his muscle memory start to take affect. He is lurking around here somewhere. Tim in NC
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A new convert, hats off to KentuckyTJ
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
Good for him...and hats off to you for helping him along!

Tom is one of the good guys too   :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Very nice jesture Tim. I just purchased my first longbow from the classifieds... a Toelke Whip... and I'm enjoying it a whole lot.

Hope we can share a campfire in CO next September.

Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Wayne, as a matter of fact, I was just thinking about the mountain today and the Bulls we called. I figured I would make my decision in January-February at tax time. Jeff, the fellow that works for me is a bigtime elk hunter and has gone the past several years. He usually goes early, the first week. I prefer the third week. I might have to give Eve a try again.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Well, tonight we got it done. His  Tall tines seem to like a 500 beemans and a 175 grain head. So, I set him up with some arrows, a few broadheads, (VPA and Stos) and some judo's to practice. Both the 175 grain VPA two blade and the Stos flew like darts.  Last night, we had the brace height to high and could not find that sweet spot. I tied his nock point in and he is ready to go. I bet you he will wear it out over the holiday.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
If there should be any hats tipped they should be to you Tim for working with him.  That's a great shooting bow, I wish him well with it.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©