3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Decisions Decisions! Rer, Stalker or Dyrad - your impressions pretty please?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi guys,

So I've decided to be a man and spend the big dollars on a bow I can grow with - now that I know I'm hooked for sure.

I've narrowed it down to three choices;

First, I think that the static limbs seem to be the way for me to go. I'm thinking size length, something in the low 60s or 60 inch with a 29 length draw (mine is about 29.6)

I hear that all of these bowyers are great people and I know I'll be happy with whatever I go with, but there seems to be about 5 centuries of accumulated experience around here and I was wondering about people's thoughts.  

I'm thinking;

RER Vital

Stalker Striker (Although I think it will be next year before he has the prototype static limbs up and going?)

Dyrad Orion 15inch Riser with the ACS RC limbs.

So far I am leaning towards a RER because I like the design and it seems to do everything I want it to as well as being accurate and extremely well reviewed.
It appears though, that the Dyrad will chuck a heavy arrow easier and will probably perform a bit better. I read the physics on them and they seem to be the real deal based on stored energy etc - but I'm not sure I want the black glass only option for the limbs... having said that, I guess I could get them snake skinned but that's going to put the bow up around $1100 whereas I can get a RER for about $800-850 all optioned up.

Price isn't exactly my number one point of interest though since I plan to keep it for years but if the difference is minor then obviously I would like to save three hundred bucks  :)  

Phew, bit of a wall of text, but does anyone have thoughts on the three? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
This would be my choice   :thumbsup:  

Plenty fast, smoothest bow I think I ever owned, and whisper I mean whisper quiet!

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121538
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't overlook dryads non ACS static limb.  Really smooth, plenty fast and cAn be dressed up with vineers.
Brant
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Scott,
The Stalker static limb prototypes went well, so South is currently building them.

Here's a picture of the first production bow.

Not sure if you saw this, but this post may provide you with additional info.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=122083;p=1#000000  

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh man this has made things even worse!

All three bows look flawless and by all accounts they shoot perfectly as well?  

I didn't realise that the Dyrad had non-ACS static limbs... and now the Stalker ones are in production and that pic that Ryan posted was even the colour scheme I was going for... and that RER looks fantastic...

Seriously this is such a good time to be buying a bow but a terrible one to only be buying one! The quality of bowyers these days just blows my mind.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
You've narrowed it down to three excellent choices.  I wish I could help, but in reality any opinions gathered here aren't going to help you much.  It just comes down to your own personal preference.  

You are at a disadvantage being down under, and not able to try them yourself.  

I have shot RER's for years - still do, and love them.  You won't be disappointed if that is the way you go.  But I've seen and shot the Stalker and the Dryad's as well, and they are both top of the line and would be great choices.  

The choice of a static limb is a good one in my opinion.  The rest is up to you.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yep we offer two different static recurve limbs.

Our basic non ACS limb starts at $350 and the ACS-RC limb is $625.

One thing to remember is that we are in the middle of a sale right now.  So you save 15% on your custom order from now until Saturday night or 20% on in stock items starting Friday morning.

Just trying to muddy the water more . ..LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
I am gonna guess you won't go wrong with any of the three.  Sometimes it comes down to just. . one feels best in your hand.  You need to touch them for that to take place.

How about. .  order one of each ?
ChuckC

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Call South, he has a test drive program. You can see if it fits you. He is an awesome guy to talk to as well. I love my static   :thumbsup:

Got this guy just this past Saturday with my Stalker.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
RER!

Offline anw0625

• Trad Bowhunter
I love the grip of my stalker.  Test drive one and you will not want to give it back.
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Well... the decision I figured I had a month to make has just been pushed forward. I was at the range today, pulled back my Deer Master it snapped on me! completely de-laminated!

Pic below if anyone wants a laugh...

Luckily I just ended up with a bruise on my lip and a very sour expression but given that I now have to send it all the way back to the states and then wait for the new limbs to get back it could be a month before I can shoot again which is extremely uncool.

So the real question now is probably going to be build time - or if any of the bowyers have any existing stock.

I'll shoot an email to the RER guys, but since Mike and Ryan seem to be around, do either of you gentlemen have any left-handed bows around 55@29 handy? (obviously the chances of this happening are about 1% but a guy can hope... sigh)

P.S @ steadman, what wood combo is that? It looks the exact colours that I had in mind!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Scott, if you're interested in a Stalker, I'd give South a call.  He may have something instock.  
Would you happen to know Antonio Lara of SPB?  He or his buddies may still have a Stalker or two.  I don't think it's a lefty, but you could ask them their opinion about the bow.

South Cox
1 707 496 0136  mobile
1 707 768 1900  shop

email
[email protected]

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm in Australia so I don't think I can call him so easily but I'll definitely send him an email. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
The RER Vital riser Is close to 18" long and definitely gives more stable bow and Is very forgiving. A real shooting machine

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Laurent,
 I thought I had one of the most prettist figured grain in my All Bocote RER Arroyo that I just got in May but I really like the looks of yours...Man that is some very nice color...Is it Cocobolo or something else?
             Keefers <><

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
No keefer it Is macassar ebony
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by hybridbow hunter:
No keefer it Is macassar ebony
I was about to erase my first guess and type macassar but wasn't quite sure cause most times I can pretty much guess a wood but the redish color baffled me this time...I love the color and the grain on yours..

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I know Dryad and Stalker lead-times are much less than most custom bowyers.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Have shot a few RER bows and liked them, but not as much as the Dryad standard static limbs. Those are great! I like them better than the ACS limb. I would have one but the riser is not what I like. One of these days I will find an ILF riser I like amd then I will get some Dryad limbs.

Stalker is coming to the Kzoo expo this year so I will finally get a chance to try one. Can't wait. I hear a lot of god stuff about them and like the looks of the grip.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©