3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: $200 boots?  (Read 475 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
$200 boots?
« on: November 21, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
I have not bought a pair of boots in a long while.  There for a while I was wearing all of my son's hand-me-downs.  That was good living!  I actually had a surplus!  But last week the last pair gave up the ghost.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good pair of boots that are in the $200 range (or less!).  I want something that is waterproof and wearable.  I am looking for something that I can walk comfortably in for miles of scouting/hunting. The temperatures that I typically hunt in range between 30 degrees and 100 degrees. I also want something that is not a scent magenet.

Fire away!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: $200 boots?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
I have a pair of Three Forks boots made by AKU from Gander Mountain. I hunt in the swamps of Myakka primarily and these boots don't pick up the stink from the muck and are easy to clean. Swing by Gander Mountain and try them out if you ever go to the Orlando area.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
I bought some Rocky mountains this year that were on sale for @$50!  I was a little skepticle, but I walked through swamp water that was several inches deep and was in my stand in 18 degree weather. My feet were absolutely dry through the swamps and warm the entire time. I believe they had 600 gr thinsulate.  I'll have to see if I can find the model on them, I left them up at my dads house in PA, bc thats where I hunt and I don't need a warm boot down here in FL, but for a low priced boot they were absolutely perfect.  I did lots of hiking in them up steep hills and all over the woods to get to my stands and they were very confortable.

PS....just noticed your Sig,  I just printed out the charity shoot in Jan, you going?  I'm 95% certain I will, this would be my first TBOF event.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
LL Bean have a 100 year anniversary RBLT that might work. 12" high.
Don't know about the scent attracting ability of the leather, but do know about wearing all rubber at the temps you're looking at! Quiet sole too.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
I will be at the charity shoot and thanks for pointing out that I need to change my signature line.  The charity event is fun and laid back you will enjoy it.  The state shoot will be the first full weekend in March.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will look into them.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Cabelas kangaroo waterproof upland boots

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Danners used to be good ,but I haven't had a pair in a while and they were $200 back then, who knows how much they are now. The pair I had lasted 10 years in the Adirondacks and they were beat ....but still water proof.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
For tough indestructible comfort with all the bells and whistles i highly recommend Redwing. they are a bit heavier in mass weight, but they'll last a lot of years....

For light weight hiking boots Check out REI. They cater to mountain climbers and have a number of decent brands that are top of the line. i recently bought a pair of Keens that i just love. good winter/summer boots.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
Cabelas Meindel Perfekt hikers. I have the uninsulated ones that have been great for anything from hiking to elk hunting, -10* to 100*. Very high quality, no blisters (but everyone's feet are different).
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
My favorite boot is a Muck Boot. I think mine are the Woody Max.  I've had them for years.  Most comfortable hunting boot I've ever owned.
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Check out the Salomon 4D quest gtx

I have put 1000km on mine in this last year and they feel great.

great cushion and a gore tex breathable waterproof membrane.

Look for a boot that is silent when walking, most are way to clunky and loud for me
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Love my Danner Pronghorns.  Buy 'em with the least insulation you can get...they get prtty warm if you're moving a lot.

Last pair I bought were $130ish.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Muck wetlands. I get them a hair big then add socks when needed.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
For those temps. Bean boots.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
I really like my Irish Setter Havoc's. I just bought them this fall and I don't have any complaints.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Dicks Sporting Goods online has the Vasque Breeze GTX on clearance right now for $80.  They were in the $200 list price range a couple years ago.  They are great boots and for $80, you can't really go wrong.  I got a pair.  They aren't really warm for a stand in under 30 degrees but stillhunting or hiking, they will do great.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
I'm with Kirkll!
Redwings, great solid boot for the money. I prefer an all leather boot. I seal them with snow seal and they have been the longest lasting boot I've ever owned.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
For an all leather boot I'd have to second Norbert's Meindel Perfekt hikers.  Mine have been great, and do really well keeping me dry.  I've had others tell me that they haven't had the same luck with them though, so it may be a matter of differences in the sewing of individual boots.

For a rubber bottom pac boot I'd go with Schnee's.  I have a pair of those that get a lot of use, and are very comfortable even on long all day hikes.  Kenetrek would be another to look at.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
I have had several pair of Danners over the years (I'm due this spring for another) and I have put alot of miles on them. The Pronghorns have been awsome for what the use you described. With the design change though, I have not seen them for under $225. But unless folks tell me that the quality has gone down those will be what I buy.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I have been using Columbia bugaboot for many years hunting upland game and deer. They finally gave up the ghost this year, you can buy them cheap after winter season is over. I had another in the box I picked up on sale ready to go. Comfortable, light and waterproof.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©