3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GROUND BLIND advice?????  (Read 450 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
GROUND BLIND advice?????
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Looking to try a ground blind. I will be shooting a 64 inch longbow sitting of course. I know guys say the Penthouse is BIG is it TOO big? Any others?  Thanks.   BILL

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GROUND BLIND advice?????
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
I got a Baronett 350 and love it- tons of room and great price
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
Get the Barronett Big Mike. Much better windows than the 350 with just as much room.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
I have original DBB just before it was sold to Primos but my next will likely be a Barronett350...but will also check Big Mike as not seen it.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Check out the Hidden Hunter blind before you buy any.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
Go natural and build one or two, it doesnt take long. check this thread out.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=061902#000000
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Does the shoot through mesh alter the flight of the arrow?

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Im with Ipcjon2, i prefer to use a natural ground blind supplied by mother nature. Ive tried the pop ups, but for my taste they are way to confining.
With some pruning shears and a few minutes of your time you can construct a dandy blind, and best of all, you dont have to lug it around.

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
moleman I like my natural blinds, I never hit the woods without a good pair of snips, but wind, drizzling rain, and snow will make you happy to have that pop-up on occasion. I added a Baronett 350 to my arsenal.
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I got to say "Go Natural" also.

You just got to learn to not scratch everything that itches.

Sit still!!!  It works.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Ghillie.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
a lot of folks are finding that ghillie suits are pretty awesome.  Forget the blind, you are wearing it !
ChuckC

Offline HawkeyeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Big fan of natural ground blinds made with the local vegetation, but in inclement weather, can't go wrong with the barronnett blinds listed above, they're ROOMY.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
KOOK68,I shot my turkey this spring thru the mesh at 20 yards out. No issue at all with the mesh. I use a Ameristep Harvester blind. It is a economical blind,made well,and I can shoot a 62" longbow standing up in it. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Feather Flinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Double Bull Recurve blind is great

Offline Benny74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
20 years ago, I went on my first bow hunt.  I had a green field of about a 1/4 football field in size surrounded by hardwood bottom on one end and thick pine and brush hillside on the other.  I used a large bundle of tree branches and brush to make a blind right in the middle of that field.  I then sat my small stool right in the middle.  I sat as still as I could as a slight breeze blew from north to south.  Thirty minutes after sunrise a large doe and two yearlings came out to feed on the green grass in the field.  She came so close to me that she literally stepped into the edge my blind only five feet from the end of my broad head.  One yearling actually nibbled on the end of one of the exterior branches.  They slowly went on their way never knowing I was there.  Only after they walked off did I notice the smallish 6 point on the edge of the thicket that never came out into the open.

I watched them constantly look up into the trees and perpetually stare at the empty shooting house on the edge of the field.  Once the three got downwind from me, they picked up their pace but never really got startled.  

The deer in that area were under lots of pressure from rifle hunters on atvs and pickup trucks hunting out of elevated shooting houses or tree stands.  They were either nocturnal or accustomed to looking up into trees to spot hunting stands of all types.  I can only assume that doe did not expect to find danger in the middle of the field in long grass where I was sitting.  She was too concerned with what may be in the trees.

Those same deer were very wary of atvs and trucks but allowed me to get within 50 yards when I approached on a mountain bike, on foot or even an electric golf cart.  On poor weather, strong wind days, I could stalk on foot to near 25yds before they got spooked.

Your best blind may be the one that the game animal has not seen before or does not recognize as a foreign object in their habitat.  I still favor natural vegitation over shooting houses or manufactured blinds.  Also consider the scent that metal and plastic emit.  If you do chose a manufactured blind, be sure to cover it well with lots of tree branches and such to break up the outline and help mask scent.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Hatchet, bypass shears,  pruning shears, twine,  small rake and about 20 minutes   :thumbsup:

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
I took a look at the Barronett blinds today. They seemed really nice. The Big Mike XT is like 84" tall. Definetly worth looking into.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
It's nice to have a natural blind, but there's lots of circumstances where you can brush in a manufactured hub type blind and do well.

I used to have a blind set up in a CRP field in some scraggly trees.  Saw lots of deer from it but never did get a shot.  I knew right then and there if I brushed in a blind good enough, you'd see some deer.
>>>--------->

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I can't figure the brushing in thing with pop-ups.  I understand the reason, but if you are going to do that, why not just make a brush blind to begin with?  No theft problems to worry about and they can be set up before season and the animals can used to them.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©