3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SE Ohio guys.... please read  (Read 184 times)

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
SE Ohio guys.... please read
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I am in need of just a bit of info for anyone that can help.  I'll give you a short bio-  I live and raise my family in Clare county, MI.  Almost dead middle of LP.  Been hunting for 30 years and have my fill of year and half old bucks.  Quit hunting for a few years when I used wheels, just knew I wouldn't see a buck I really wanted to kill.  Switched to traditional about 10 years ago and was reborn as a bowhunter.  I hunt my in- laws 20 acres, but reserve that mostly to take my 2 daughters and son out hunting on.  They are all successful deer hunters.  I am finally at the point in my life financially that my wife of 20 years has given me the green light for an annual DIY hunt. I love the hills and backcountry feel of SE Ohio.  Its close enough for spring and summer visits as well.  I'm at the computer constantly trying to narrow down places to check out.  I know the pressure can be intense, but I like to hike away from the crowds.  My avatar buck shot in 2010 came from a stateland piece I hike 3/4 mile through a swamp to hunt.  I'm really looking for PM's from a few fellow trad guys with info that might help me find a decent place.  I don't want honey holes, but info on where to avoid doing research or visiting would certainly help.  I'm not opposed to a work swap type situation if some one is interested in that either.  If I knew an annual trip with the chance for decent encounters with mature bucks was possible, I'd be one happy camper.  If anyone wants to kick start me in the right direction, shoot me a PM.  Thanks, Dave
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SE Ohio guys.... please read
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
Ttt
53# @ 28"

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
I spent many years hunting South Eastern Ohio, specifically "Shade River State Forest' which is in Meigs Co. You would actually be camping inside "Forked Run State Park', which is nestled inside of the State forest. The area is right on the Ohio River just down the road from a tiny town called Reedsville. Shade River State Forest has about 3000 acres of huntable land. The state park has cabins that you can rent or you can bring your own trailer or tent. They also have a shower house. If you go, go to the little store in Reedsville and check out the mounts and pics of some of the bucks that have come out of that area.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
AEP lands here in Coshocton co. have some seriously rough and thick stuff in them.. this is only my 2nd year trying the place...so can't give you much input other than there ARE some nice deer in them, but you might have to work in getting 1 out. Haven't gottne 1 yet from the area, but that's just a matter of time!
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
Panzer is giving you very straight advice. I grew up in that area and still go back to visit. The region is lightly populated, and very, very rural. You're at least 20-some miles from the nearest decent town or hotel. Only one place to get gas in Reedsville. I personally know several of the Reed families in the area. Shade River is a beautiful area, and will have some nice hunting.

Couple other areas to consider are Brush Creek State Forest and Shawnee State Forest. Both are large and will give you the opportunity to get back in deep...miles. I'd recommend a  couple of dedicated scouting trips this winter when there is no snow. Hard leg work will pay later dividends.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
I live in Jackson County (about as far SE as you want)
Some decent public land and some people are nice enough to allow permission)
Also land prices are low enough to buy some.
Couple places specialize in land close to or bordering public land/SF
anyway email me if you want or need any other info
Slickhead

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
AEP and Wayne Nat. Forest both offer a lot of good hunting.Gets some maps, do some studying and you can get on some good deer. In one weekend this year I saw a 120" 8 pt., a 140" 8pt., and a 150+" 10, all on public land. I've hunted there for years, and see P&Y bucks every year. But it took a few seasons to learn the land.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Great replies and PM's...  I have a few starting points, thanks guys.
53# @ 28"

Offline Joshua Long

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Strouds Run State Park in Athens Co. has nice hunting, but it is near town and you need to get away from the trails.  Strouds also has a campground.

Waterloo Research Area is also a nice place to hunt in Athens County.

Wolf Creek Wildlife Area
Zaleski National Forest

I grew up in SE Ohio and was blessed with a lot of hunting options.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
I live in Athens County and have 3 large tracks of public hunting area in 20 minutes of driving from the house.  The key is to go as far as you possibly can from roads or trails. I have seen some real mosters come out of there.  If you can hunt during the week some of the places you will have all to yourself.

Offline ridgerunner_sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
hey thanks for the info  good stuff..

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Wayne Nat Forest is hard to beat. Just get off the beaten path and your in big buck heaven. Saw nice bucks everyday this year. Plan on sitting all day because they could show up anytime, saw most of the big ones midday.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©