3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking footwear  (Read 136 times)

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
Stalking footwear
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
I'm wanting to try and start stalking/still hunting more.  I'm slowly working my way through G. Fred's book and got curious about what everyone wears on their feet for stalking/still hunting?

I'm a huge fan of Vibram 5 Fingers, but as temps drop they aren't the best option.  I've looked into the LL Bean boots with the rubber bottoms and leather uppers.  Currently my only other options I have at the moment are a pair of Keen midtop hiking boots, clumpy insulated rubber boots, or pac boots.

What are y'all wearing and why?
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking footwear
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Wet leaves and ground-most anything will work. Drier conditions-Sahara Desert Boots, Converse running shoes; final approach heavy socks.

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Have you thought about the leather moccasins? They seem very quiet and I've heard of people wearing them in the snow with no problems as they are sealed.

This is one guy that makes them;
 http://www.sodhoppers.com/html/styles.html

They are pretty pricey though.

I also hear you can do your own with moose hide for a lot less if you or the wife can sew...

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Wet leaves and ground-most anything will work. Drier conditions-Sahara Desert Boots, Converse running shoes; final approach heavy socks.
Ditto. Most of my final aproches are on hands and knees so it realy does not matter whats on my feet. Low and slow.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I have used Bean's for over 35 years,  from AK to NC to CA and many states between.  They are quiet, but not good for hills, especially wet side hills.  They are waterproof and lend themselves to wearing various thickness of socks.  You can pull oversized socks over for extra padding.

Yes, i have several other kinds for mountains, too
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Google "footskins", best canoe sole moccasins I've ever owned. Very quiet and very comfortable. The beef leather ones are the most durable things I've ever worn on my feet. They are a bit pricey, but compared to a premium pair of hiking boots they are cheaper. Plus I have the boot moccasins version and its good snake protection.

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Russel moccisons, I have the tula-tula but they make alot of diffrent models. They arnt cheap though.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
A good affordable moccasin can be found at Arrow Moccasins.  I have two pair and love them

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
I like the Bean hunting shoes for sneaking, but they are not perfect.  They have no traction on the wet stuff, they get cold, and they do not provide (me) with adequate foot support if we are talking hills or mountains (Colorado).  However. . . for normal stuff I see in Wisconsin (or Illinois) they are pretty awesome.

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©