3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock point question  (Read 145 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock point question
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Got to thinking about a question r/t nock point location.

Is the height of the nock point above center a variable from bow to bow for the same shooter?

For example, if I have 5 longbows I've different make/model, is my nocking point going to measure the same above center on all 5 bows because that's what works for my form?  Or would it vary from bow to bow, even though I'm using the same form in shooting each bow.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock point question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
All of the bows I shoot all seem to prefer the same nock point height whether longbow or recurve. Usually at 5/8ths above center.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
I have a few different makes and models they all seem to like 9/16 for me.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »
I agree with the previous repondents.  I used to try to tune individual bows to optimize nock height, but always seeemed to end up with the same measurement (5/8ths inch in my case). I tend to think it's more a factor of your release (split vs. 3-under), anchor, form, etc.  Not that some bow's tiller may affect it and your mileage may vary.  I also found that there's a technique variable that comes into play when you prefer a rest material with "give", like the sealskin that I use. In other words, if you get a bit sloppy with the downward pressure on the square when you clip it to the string, your measurement can vary. The bow squares that have a rounded rod don't seem to be as prone to this, but I prefer the precise markings on the Potowatomi type.  It has a thin aluminum blade, but I split a section of old aluminum shaft and attached it where the square lays across the rest to make attachment more "repeatable". Then I marked my desired nock height on the scale with a Sharpie.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
I check em all but 5/8ths for this 3-under shooter (curves) is what I almost always end up at.  I would think it could change but your physique and shooting style may impact this more than other factors?  I wonder if different nock fits from arrow to arrow might impact nock locator position (tendency to porpoise)?

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
I like olddogribs idea of splitting a shaft to put over the square blade. I had one recurve years ago that needed a real high nock point seems it was around 7/8 it shot good just needed the high nock point for some reason.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©