3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone use Hill Broadheads?  (Read 203 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone use Hill Broadheads?
« on: November 21, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Hey all.

I never see much talk about them so I thought I'd ask and see how many, if there are any, that like and use Hill Broadheads. I have never handled one but I would be willing to try them if they perform well on hogs. Right now I am trying to get my arrows flying right and apparently I am going to have to increase my point weight from my 125 grain heads. If I have to go up to 150 or 160 or more, would the Hill heads be a good choice?  What's been your experience with them?  What else would be a good choice in that weight range for hogs?

Thanks for your help and time.

Everyone have a blessed Thanksgiving Day tomorrow with your family and friends.

Nalajr

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone use Hill Broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Hill heads are some of the best flying BH out there.  For some they are difficult to sharpen.  They run alittle heavy about 175-170 grains.  The Hill head penetrate very well.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
I have some in the 160gr area, you can get 160 gr field points to set up your arrows, as long as they are spined to handle that head weight.
 As mentioned they are a little harder to sharpen,and you sharpen to a saw tooth edge(razor edge will take time and patience ). They fly like field points and penetrate very well. tons of game have been harvested with them for years.
  in the how to section I think they have a sharpening demo. I use them and love them.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
IMHO, they are the best flying broadheads ever made but a little hard to sharpen.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Great heads, i use the 160's. They fly like a field tip, penetrate well and are tough. With a little patients they sharpen up extremely well.
I took a nice doe earlier this season with a Hill head, she piled up on a dead run at 35 yrds, sure made a believer out of me!  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Great head.  Filing with a round chainsaw file puts a nice jagged sharp head that penetrates real well and they fly real well in the windy conditions out west.  Spring steel blade resl tough.  Ferrule can break if you hit a rock but replacement ferrules are cheap.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
I use left and right wing single bevel Hill heads. I get the tempered blanks and then grind them to the bevel to match my left and right wing arrows and assemble them myself. I get a keener edge with the single bevel than I do with the double bevel and also get larger holes in the deer which puts more blood on the ground.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
pavan, are those blanks available at HHA?

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
I bought a pile of them years ago from HHA and I am still using those, not sure if they are still available or not.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
I have some Jerry Hill stainless mounted on some special Sweetland arrows. Have used Hill's in the past, great head.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©