3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One Less Arrow for my STALKER STICKBOW!  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: One Less Arrow for my STALKER STICKBOW!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
I felt as if it was only going to be a matter of time...
It was last week, when I had my first encounter.  I was still hunting through some thick stuff and stopped to listen for rummaging.  For some reason I decided to keep still for a little longer than normal.  Something caught my attention behind me.  It was a nice sow, headed directly for me.  Immediately, I nocked an arrow and dropped to my knees.  Slowly she closed the distance between us. At about fifteen yards, she turned broadside behind a tree and started to rummage.  I thought to myself "oh boy this is going to happen"!  Her head slowly peeked from behind the tree and I was at full draw, but she decided to turn around.  I let down and she began to move in the opposite direction.   She stopped to root, and her vitals showed through a small tunnel through the brush.  I drew back, hit my anchor, and the shot went off.  Everything looked great.  I sent a text to my wife to let her know that I was going to be home late.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
After waiting awhile, I started to pick up the trail.  The signs looked good, but blood trailing in this area is slow because of the thick vegetation.  At times, you're crawling on your hands and knees through grass and vine tunnels.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
After a few minutes of trailing, the clouds started to roll in.  Uh oh, I thought to myself and sure enough it started to rain.  Bad enough I was trailing through a "jungle", but the rain was only going to make matters worse.  The trail started to get bad.  I tried to follow tracks, but that only made my trailing much slower.  I continued to trail for the rest of the day.  Depressed as heck, I had to call it a day.  I replayed everything in my mind over and over.  
That night I couldn't sleep and got up early to search again.  Unfortunately, it was pouring once again.  Soaking wet I searched high and low for that sow.  It finally reached a point where I couldn't find any signs at all.  Talk about an emotional roller coaster.  From thinking that I've just got one to realizing that my search had ended.
The next few days were rough.  Many things were replaying in my head and the worse part is that I started to second guess my decisions...

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
A few days later I decided that I did everything that I could and it was time for me to get back out.  
On this trip, I encountered a few hogs right "out of the gate".  It seemed as if I found out where they were hanging out.  I slowly stalked up to one of the hogs.  At twenty yards, the shot presented itself and I took the shot.  The arrow sailed clear over it's back!  It's been awhile since I've done that.  My nerves had gotten the best of me!!!
This bow is so sentimental for me.  South had taken the time to teach me and show me what went into building a stickbow.  It was as "custom" as it could get. I was adding too much pressure to my hunts and wanted everything to be perfect.   But with the way things were going, I was now in the dumps.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Outstanding tale so far. Look forward to more.RCHappy Thanksgiving Guys.RC

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Thanks RC, although I think the story would've been better if my wife did hide my arrows!!!   :D
I'm just glad that she's supportive because I haven't been getting anything done since this bow has showed up at my doorstep!

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
yeah boy!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Sometimes I can be a real "head case".  Fortunately, I have a stable wife to talk me through things.  She's also a bowhunter and understands all the dynamics of the sport.  So after a great discussion with her, my confidence was restored and I headed for the hills the very next day.

The morning was slow.  I didn't see or hear a single thing.  At about 2:30, I started to contemplate.  Do I stay where I've been seeing the hogs, or do I take a chance and head to another area.  On previous hunts, I came across an "intersection" that looked super promising.  My gut feeling was head to that "intersection", so I did. For myself, I'd say 9 out of 10 times, making a hasty decision to move just doesn't pan out.  

So after a short hike, I reached my destination.  Even though the decision was hasty, I felt good about the move.  Half an hour went by and nothing.  At that point, I was beginning to question my decision.  "Maybe all the pigs are now at the previous spot" I thought to myself.  "I need to stick it out", I told myself.   Just then, I heard some leaves rustling in the distance.  The noise started to get louder and louder.  I finally caught movement to the right of me.  This hog was coming in cautious.  Taking a few steps and stopping for a few seconds.  "This is a smart one", I thought.  I ever so slowly nocked my arrow while keeping my eyes fixed on the hog.  It was crazy, my knees were shaking as if this was the first hog that I've ever shot at.  The hog kept moving cautiously and it was just too thick to take a shot.  There were times when I wanted to squeeze the shot through some small holes in the brush, but I needed to stay disciplined.  If not my discussion with my wife would've been all for nothing.  The hog finally reached a point were he could turn right, down the hill never to be seen again or turn left, presenting me a broadside shot.  Amazingly, he turned left and stopped in the open.  Filled with adrenaline, I drew my bow back ever so slowly, focused intently on the spot and released the string.  The arrow flew clean but hit the hog with a "crack" and the hog took off.  "UH OH!", I thought to myself.  This was either going to be a really good shot, or a really bad one.   I was sure that I smacked the leg bone, I was just really hoping that it was the "offside" leg bone.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
After calming down and waiting awhile, I decided to inspect the area.  I was just hoping that I wouldn't find an unscathed arrow lying in the ground.

Here's what the shot area looked like.  So far so good.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
I started to take the trail, this time with blue skies.  Slowly, I made my way.  The trail was decent, but he had gone on a mad dash through some thick grass.  The good news was the blood trail was getting better!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I need to get ready for Thanksgiving lunch/dinner.  I'll be back tonight with the rest of the story.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:   Interesting so far.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Hmmm...do I smell pork??

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
There should be a Tradgang law made that strictly prohibits eating meals during story telling!

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I second that motion ^^^^^

Get on with it Ryan!!!!!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Ya. That was lame..... 3 pages in and you gotta get ready for dinner! What about the rest of us who don't eat!!!

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
I think Ryan took a nap after dinner...  :biglaugh:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
LOL! Too funny Gang!  Now back to the trail...

Not wanting to lose this hog, I carefully took my time.  Step by step I spotted blood, stopped and scanned around.  I did this until....

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
:campfire:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©