3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw weight for elk  (Read 472 times)

Offline OregonBlacktail

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw weight for elk
« on: November 22, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Just wondering what draw weight is most commonly used for elk hunting. Not the minimun required for your state but what weight do you use and how successful are you.
Thanks
Mike

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight for elk
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
53-57#'s is my preferred weight. You measure penetration by how deep in the dirt the arrow is after it passes through...

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
62lbs@ 30" with a scary sharp Zwickey on a 600gn (total weight) carbon or cedar shaft, will pass on through.  Sharp and accurate are important.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
50# @ 28 worked for me and also for Adam-Abowyer broadheads and 630 gn (total) Doug Fir arrow. Shot placement will trump everything else.   :archer2:

Offline Benny74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
I was wondering the same thing about draw weight and arrows for elk and other big game.  The comments so far mention pass through. Would it not be better if the deadly part of the arrow, the broadhead, stopped halfway through and continued to do damage to shorten the animal's suffering and hasten takedown?

In December's traditional bowhunter magazine there is an excellent article on that subject.  The author tested very primitive bow,arrow and stone broadhead designs that were very small and light.  The results were enlightening.  The very low poundage, lightweight arrow and tiny stone broadhead shot clean through full size whitetail deer.  The broadheads, mostly known as bird shot broadheads were about the size of a thumbnail and capable of taking down big game.

This would suggest that a well placed shot at typical traditional archery hunting distance limits is far more critical than bow weight or arrow weight.  

I would not sling that ancient bow and arrow combo at an elk or grizzly but that leads one to believe that a 45# trad bow with matched and balanced arrow/broadhead combo is more than enough to do what you intend to do.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Mike Treadway took a bull Elk with a 41# LB
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
The most you can shoot with confidence in your distance comfort zone.....Sharp broadhead and a well tuned arrow. Shot placement , shot placement and shot placement!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:   In fact that's true for whatever your hunting.....from pigs to bears and all in between.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Well since you live here in OR you know the regs show 50# as a minimum and I think that's probably a good starting point.  I shoot 72# to 80# with 680gr arrows but I know that it's not necessary. I agree with Ron, shoot the heaviest your comfortable with and that you shoot well.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Took a bull 53@26 550 gr arrow. Sharp grizzly 2 blade

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
Up here in the Yukon, 45# is the minimum, for Moose, so I guess if it's good for moose, it must be good for elks.... But I like Ron's comment!!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
I've gotten 4 with 55# long bows and very sharp broad heads.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
Start with your states regulations. "most" hunters dont use 45# bows for elk unless they are dealing with an injury. "Bird Points" or very small stone points will kill deer. a .22cal rifle will kill one also, if placed correctly. Train to use a traditional bow of enough "caliber" that you dont have to worry about penetration.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
complete pass thru's are normally much easier to track and IMO the blood trail will be shorter

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by ron w:
The most you can shoot with confidence in your distance comfort zone.....Sharp broadhead and a well tuned arrow. Shot placement , shot placement and shot placement!!!!!!!     :thumbsup:     In fact that's true for whatever your hunting.....from pigs to bears and all in between.
X2.
Dont forget, the best shot placement in the world can change after you send the arrow and then the animal moves. A beautiful double lung can turn to a thickly muscled shoulder in the blink of an eye if the animal flinches on you...they are constantly moving. Thats where the most you can accurately shoot will be your friend.
David M. Conroy

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
I've always shot a 60# recurve for elk. Lighter weight bows will work just fine, the biggest factor will all animals you shoot no matter the weight is shot placement.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
IMO,bigger animal ,means larger kill zone,means one can stretch their shooting distance,which means the need for more horsepower.

If one can stay decipline a lighter weight bow(45-60lbs) is fine.Once you start to stretch past 25yrds.60+lbs is my recipe and arro weight 9+ grs per lbs.

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
60# spine 11/32 cedar shaft footed w/ cocobola raw weight about 450. Cut to 29" and tapered last 10" 160 grain L Grizzly (matches fletch). Overall weight finished right at 600, spine 57#. It shoots through a 55# Herman like a dart and put down a cow moose this fall. Not a pass through but both lungs and done. Same set up on Texas pigs; 1 double lung and done another I shot a little higher (59# Horne bow) and broke it's spine. I have since retired from shooting the 59#er. I am so much more comfortable and confident w/ the 55# range and confidence/ accuracy is what it is all about.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline OregonBlacktail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Thanks for your input. It looks like most of you are drawing in the mid to upper 50's for elk. I'm currently drawing 53# pretty well. I would like to be a bit higher but it doesn't look I would need to be.
Thanks again
Mike

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 03:02:00 AM »
Mike,

Just to remind you, Fred Eichler has taken every recognized species of North American Big Game with a 54# Palmer recurve, including the big bears. An elk is "softer" than some of those other species and certainly does not require a heavier bow than 53#. Nothing wrong with more power, but you sure don't need it. What you need is to be able to shoot a good, well-tuned arrow with a sturdy, sharp broadhead out of your bow and accurately hit the elk in a vital area at the correct angle. Then you must be able to track the elk to where it died, so you can recover it. Buying the right bow is the easy part, and you have accomplished that mission.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
I had a bad shot on a Elk this year in New Mexico. I was in a Double Bull Blind over a water hole and it was tight shooting. I do not know what happened but I hit my Bull a little front and a little high. Both bad places on a Elk. i have killed 4 P&Y Bulls with the wheel bow but this shot with my 49 @ 28 ACS only penetrated 2 or 3 ". I draw 29 and that is close to 52 @ 29. 550 grain arrow. 2 Blade very sharp Werewolf Broadhead by Eclispe. I watched this Bull herd his cows around in a meadow for 30 minutes after I hit him with my arrow hanging out of his shoulder. Very sickening feeling after 10 days of chasing Bulls. The key is shot placement like everyone says. I guess there may be a Trad Bow out there with enough Horse Power to get thru that shoulder Blade. I most likely could not shoot it. Placement is the key.
Thanks, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©