3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw weight for elk  (Read 473 times)

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight for elk
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Shot placement and control are very important aspects of hunting as no animal has ever fallen quickly to a knicked tail. However, when we begin to justify our setups based on effective shot placement to the exclusion of reserve KE for when all is not copacetic, something is lacking in the archer which can and should be remedied.  "I'm going to use a bigger bow for a bigger animal and I'll work to achieve the state of being necessary to achieve this end."
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Forrest Halley:
Shot placement and control are very important aspects of hunting as no animal has ever fallen quickly to a knicked tail. However, when we begin to justify our setups based on effective shot placement to the exclusion of reserve KE for when all is not copacetic, something is lacking in the archer which can and should be remedied.  "I'm going to use a bigger bow for a bigger animal and I'll work to achieve the state of being necessary to achieve this end."
Somebody should have told Eichler he needed a heavier bow.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
As I recall, Fred jumped up a few pounds for the big bears.  I also recall seeing a lot of arrow sticking out of some of the critters in his videos.

And another thought. . . I mean this lovingly. Fred is a very good and experienced hunter.  He can pull off the shot nearly every time.  We are not all in the same shoes and we sometimes screw up.  Thirty five pounds will take a deer most times, but very few of us should use only that.

What is enough for any particular critter depends. . .  on everything.

ChuckC

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
I have not killed an elk but have killed a kudu, waterbuck, and red hartebeest. After seeing what my 50# longbow with scary sharp broadheads on a 530gr arrow did to those critters, I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with it.

I am also a believer that a person should hunt with the most draw weight that they can shoot accurately.

Bisch

Offline OregonBlacktail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
I fully understand the accuracy and control thing. I was just curious as to what weight was most commonly used. As for tracking, I'm an experienced hunter and have successfully recovered deer and elk in very difficult conditions, like no blood trail in the rain. I just don't want to be under gunned.
Thanks
Mike

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I use a 51# bow and a 580grn. arrow. I have done it very well with same bow weight using a 505 grn. arrow.2 blade broadheads zwickey or magnus.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
As I stated before, you need to be legal in your state. However, you should train to use the most weight you can handle. You will get a lot of comments on how someone else used a "35# bow to stop a charging elephant". You should committ yourself to train for traditional archery and not use someones else's light bow kills as a way to justify the fact you are just too lazy to train.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 03:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by OregonBlacktail:
I fully understand the accuracy and control thing. I was just curious as to what weight was most commonly used. As for tracking, I'm an experienced hunter and have successfully recovered deer and elk in very difficult conditions, like no blood trail in the rain. I just don't want to be under gunned.
Thanks
Mike
You're not under-gunned... just remember that above all it's wise decision making that plays the biggest role in successful hunts...no matter the quarry... the harder the game the better decision making you'll need to be making... we may not share Fred Eichler's skill level as a hunter or archer but we can all resolve to pass up on low percentage shots and hold out for the most opportune moments... all hunters share ability to be on the same level as the greatest hunters in that aspect... always the Indian and never the bow... imho.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
I was wondering the same thing about draw weight and arrows for elk and other big game. The comments so far mention pass through. Would it not be better if the deadly part of the arrow, the broadhead, stopped halfway through and continued to do damage to shorten the animal's suffering and hasten takedown?

The odds of finding the animal decreases significantly when your arrow stays in the animal vs passing through it. Especial shooting from an elevated position....

if you don't poke a hole in the bottom, they don't leak very well.... It's much better having a good blood trail with a pass through than loosing the animal. IMO

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
The odds of finding the animal decreases significantly when your arrow stays in the animal vs passing through it. Especial shooting from an elevated position....

if you don't poke a hole in the bottom, they don't leak very well.... It's much better having a good blood trail with a pass through than loosing the animal. IMO
You have made my morning... thank you good sir.   :laughing:
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
You can add to that,that animals also stress and go farther as long as the arrow stays in.With pass throughs,they often slow to a walk.Fred Bear felt that not getting a pass through could lengthen recovery 4 to 5 times.Thinking back,that seems to be close to my experience.For sure,the shortest recoveries were from clean pass through shots.

It is true that an arrow staying in can cause a lot of damage but it also reduces blood sign as Kirk pointed out and often causes a panicked flight which greatly affects distance of travel.

You have to walk up on your first elk on the ground to truly get how big and tough they are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©