3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wool pants  (Read 399 times)

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
wool pants
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
So I have my great kick@** woolrich jacket.....now I need a.set or two of wool cargo pants. I would really prefer cargos.

Where do you guys get yours?
Average pricing?

Thanks alot.
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: wool pants
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I got some olive drab wool Army Surplus pants for $15.  They are not cargo pants but work well enough.  The weave is a bit tighter than some of my other wool clothing so they are a tad noisier but they don't seem to spook game.  

I'd like to get a pair of unlined wool bibs made with a large chest pocket for holding my binoculars after this season.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline False Cast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Swedish Military wool cargo pants from an online surplus store. I LOVE MINE. I think I paid $45 shipped. They're 60's era and better made than many garments I've seen today. Super warm and stealthy quiet. I wish I hand't waited so long to go wool!

Offline high desert rambler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
another vote for the Swedish military surplus pants... darn good quality, heavy weight wool, and the color blends into my local environment very well... i think they're better than filsons and all the other brand names that cost a lot more... paid about $15 a pair for mine - stocked up on several (sorry False Cast! if it's any consolation, that was about ten years ago - they prolly cost more now.)

not sure how "cargo-ey" you want your cargo pants to be, but my Swedish milsurp do have one big buttoned pocket on each leg... (in additional to the usual front and back pockets.)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
If you don't want to spend a lot, then I go along with the last two fellas> If you don't mind spending the money, I would go with Filson wool bibs with cargo pockets.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Been wearing Filson for years great quality.

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
I also like the Swedish mil surplus; the W. German mil surplus wool cargos are just as nice in my opinion thick felted wool makes them quiet and warm.

Tom

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Tough to find thick surplus wool for a long inseam.

Offline False Cast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by high desert rambler:
 (sorry False Cast! if it's any consolation, that was about ten years ago - they prolly cost more now.)
NO WORRIES RAMBLER -- they're worth triple what I paid… at least. I might need to find another pair for safe keeping!

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
Tough to find thick surplus wool for a long inseam.
I agree. Most of the Swedish and German military surplus wool cargos available are in the small size. I went with US Army heavy wool surplus non-cargos from the Korean War era for about $15 a year or two ago. I've noticed their price has gone up since then.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
I got some nice Columbia wool pants at Cabelas in the bargain cave for $50 a few months ago, and enjoyed them all season.  Super comfortable to wear, and not too hot, not too cold.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
i would look up some wool codet pants you can get them with cargo pockets and under a 80 dollars
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
I used to own 2 pairs of the the Swedish Military wool pants and gave them away. I just don't like walking around in something that heavy and bulky. I'm sure they work well for some guys, but I'm not one of them. I have some much lighter whipcord wool pants that are very comfortable, but when it gets really cold, I'm going to something that insulates with air by creating lightweight loft. I wish I still had those Swedish Military wool pants so I could give them to a fellow TradGanger who would put them to good use -- but alas!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crossed Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
Swedes and Germans made great field gear, along with the Swiss, Austrians and Czechs.  All of them spent a lot of time in the field and developed the right stuff.  Except for the Czechs, the Soviet Union made crap.

I still have Swedish, German and USGI surplus wool trousers (women wear pants, men wear trousers as the old sergeant taught us) and I like them all for different weather conditions.

Here in Colorado, archery season is September and the USGI OGs from the Korean War through the 60s and 70s are perfect.  They are very high quality wool, medium weight and set up for suspenders, which are also available surplus.  I paid about $17 for like-new trousers and bought 2 pair.  No cargo pockets, but they just get in the way and make more noise in the field anyway.

If you are lucky enough to find a matching USGI OG (Olive Green) shirt, you will really be in business.  Wear your camo parka or ghillie over it and you will be stylin!  

Don't forget to carry your USGI poncho.

"Take a Veteran Out Hunting"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
Where in the World do y'all get the Army Surplus Stuff??? I used to have an outlet about 35 miles north of me, but it went under!! I havent found a Good Source since!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Cabela's Legacy wool pants beat any I have ever had--washable, warm, nice cargo pockets, and they hem for free. On sale right now for about $65.  I have two pairs I have worn for a long time and you can't tell it.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Just bought some for my man for Christmas at an army surplus store. The brand is Big Bill's, also known as Codet by the company Wood N'Trail. They do a pretty nice grey/red plaid. I got Tyler the green cargo "8 pointers" pants. They have a good range of sizing so I'm going to order some smaller ones for myself soon. $60-$75 or so online.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Cabela's Legacy wool pants beat any I have ever had--washable, warm, nice cargo pockets, and they hem for free. On sale right now for about $65.  I have two pairs I have worn for a long time and you can't tell it.
I have some of these in fleece with windshear. I think you can get the wool with windshear. They are nice for the money.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Gee Thank's David now I ordered some legacy wool pant's and Im broke.  :bigsmyl:
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
hello   fello bowman  my web is up    

www.classicsportsman.com     I will be doing wool pands I have some samples  that I will post
unfortunatly I won't produce until next year

these will be high quality   special design  

Thanks   rob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©