3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wool pants  (Read 588 times)

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wool pants
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
I have two pairs of the Cabela's cargos, one in charcoal gray the other in dark green.  They're very well-made, very warm (but can be worn up into the 70s without being uncomfortable) and fit true-to-size.

One thing I like about the cargo pockets is that they're actually useful and they don't use a 'requires two hands to operate' button or a 'makes so much noise you might as well go back to the truck' velcro closure, it's just a simple 'nipple' snap button that isn't very loud but stays closed and is easy to operate with or without gloves on.

My only complaint would be the colors are darker than I prefer; I'd prefer a field gray to a charcoal gray and a more olive green than the dark forest green as it worries me that the darker colors are standing out too much when hunting rather than blending into the environment.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Have the columbia gallatin range wool pants and I really like them.  They are nice and thick with big cargo pockets.  They were like $75.   You can get them in brown or the snow camo.
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
I don't think you can beat Cabelas Legacy washable wool pants--cargo pockets, hemmed free.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
LL bean is only ones i can comment on. pretty nice for the money. camo too
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I have a pair of the LL Bean wool pants. They are not made from super heavy but they are still warm. The only thing is the version with the cargo pockets has a wind stop lining. It's noisy as hell! I got mine at an LL Bean outlet store for $50 and wound up cutting out the lining. They still work fine with a good pair of poly pro underwear underneath.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Gary Rieck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Check out Spirit Horse Wool clothing at ccsutlery.com.   They have wool cargo pants at a reasonable price.  Never bought from them but looks like a good product.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Yeah, all mine are military surplus. My heavy weight pair had a button fly. Had tailor add a brass zipper instead. If they last as long as my last pair did, these should out last me.

Leg zippers? You must be wearing yours over other clothes. It don't get that cold down here. I jump into mine and then pull on the LL Beans an then tuck the pant legs into the tops of my boots.
Member NCBA

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
X2 on the LL Bean wool pants. Their Maine Guide wool pants are great.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
I've been wearing Codet wool pants for years. Nice quality for the price.I'm not sure if they make any cargo pants.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
I like the Cabelas washable ones in green. They were 60 or 70 something when I got them. Downside is they are made in China. But so far they feel and seem better designed than the Filson's I got for almost 4 times the price! The Filson's has a better wool but there are several other design factors I found inferior, especially for the cost differnce.

Offline Joshua Polland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
I love my First Lite pants for the early season. With a base layer (I use my Military issue) they are great down to about 30 if you're moving. When sitting a stand in really cold weather I bought a pair of the Cabela's wooltimate. They are thick and warm, have a windshear lining that isn't loud and did I mention they are warm.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Cabelas pants are great. They are cargo, won't shrink and are quite comfortable. Love mine!

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
Just picked up a pair from cabelas. On sale for $59. They look great. I think I will be very happy with them.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Filson.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Ll bean are not domestic but are decent, not great quality but if they fail you the are guaranteed for life. Usually have big sales and coupons.

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Bought a paid of the Legacy pants from Cabelas last year on sale. So far I have really enjoyed them for the price. Need to go ahead and order another pair.
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
I also have the Cabelas Legacy wool pants and I like them.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 04:55:00 AM »
Check out armysurpluswarehouse.com. Pretty good selection, really good pricing ($15-$25 for wool pants), and quick shipping. Don't order the green pants though, they stink something fierce when even slightly wet. I hunted in a pair of charcoal grey (Swedish?) pants all season and am very pleased with them.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Look at military surplus. I have some German military cargos that are just the ticket for colder weather, and they don't cost much.
Just received my German millitary wool cargos today, finally found some in a 36" waist. Very well made and good pockets. Think I paid around $38, gonna work great for my winter roamings

Eric

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Ll bean are not domestic but are decent, not great quality but if they fail you the are guaranteed for life. Usually have big sales and coupons.
+1
Decent pants but those chinese kids can't sew buttons worth a flip. My wife re-did the buttons on my llbean pants and a jacket two days after it arrived. (Tip: sew on buttons with Power Pro fishing line and they will NEVER come off.)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©