3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need input. Hitting the edge of my shelf.  (Read 277 times)

Offline Groothewanderer

• Trad Bowhunter
Need input. Hitting the edge of my shelf.
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
I am shooting a 55#@28 inch Striker TDL with fast flight string and 55/75 Gold Tip hunters with a 145Gr field point braces at 7 5/8's and a nock point of 1/4. The arrows fly good, and if not for hitting the shelf, my shots would be super quiet. I tried the same point weight on 35/55's just for kicks and the arrows showed they were grossly underspined. I hold the bow loosely, so I am pretty sure I am not torquing the riser, so I am assuming that I am torquing the string ? I guess I am just looking for another direction to go in fixing this. Thanks much, and happy thanks giving.
Nunc nonummy arma - pharetram et arcum - fera egredere in agrum ad venandum venationem mihi.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need input. Hitting the edge of my shelf.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Try a toothpick or a match stick under the rest on the shelf. You might have to re adjust your noc on the string afterwards

Offline Groothewanderer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Slapping my head now ! Thanks, forgot all about that one. Ill give it a try, and report.
Nunc nonummy arma - pharetram et arcum - fera egredere in agrum ad venandum venationem mihi.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Most of the time that has happened to me has been when the spine is off -- either too stiff or too weak. Maybe try some other arrows if you could get with a friend. Another option is to shoot off an elevated rest, which can cure a lot of ills, even if some people think it is not sufficiently "traditional".

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Mine was hitting my rest too.  Well it was hitting the bottom of it.  I raised my nocking point 1/8 of an inch and that cured it.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
I have had fits with that shooting carbons split    :banghead:   finger. Best fixes so far have been different arrow materials and shooting three under.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Sounds like a spine problem to me.  I too would try some different shafts.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Assuming you have made lots of nock point adjustments, but do you have a nock point under your arrow?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
1/4" nock point seems a little low to me.

John

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Outwest:

John
Got to agree to low.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by BOWMARKS:

Originally posted by Outwest:

John
Got to agree to low. [/b]
X3. Most of my bows like about 5/8" +/- 1/8". Try paper tuning. I bet you're showing nock high due to your arrow bouncing off the shelf. You may even see some porpoising of the arrows. I do if I go that low.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
I assume you mean the arrow is hitting the outside edge of the shelf. If nothing else works try turning the cock feather in.
JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Groothewanderer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Thanks all. I slid a bit of twig under the rest, but I am still hitting, but not as bad. Going to rais the knock point and shoot more tommrow after work. Ill report after I get that done.Thanks again.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
By George, I think you have the Answer!! Good Luck!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Gald it is helping.  Just for fun, I would try a little more tip weight.  If you have some 175 or 200 grain field tips try them and see what happens.  .400 spine carbons sometimes need a lot of weight up front to paradox correctly.  If your arrow is acting too stiff it will often hit the riser.  Good luck.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
You don't state what your actual draw length is, but I shoot those same specs, with a 27" draw, and I need 275gr. up front on 55/75's that are cut to 29 1/2". I agree, something not right with a 1/4" nock height? Never found a bow yet that 5/8" doesn't get you real close. Sounds like a combo of too stiff and too low nock point to me.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
Maybe we can discuss nock points so all of us can understand the terms and what is happening.

From my thoughts. . When you place a bow square on your string, the lower edge makes contact with the shelf when it is in correct position.  That means the lower edge of the square, where it meets the string, represents the bottom of the arrow.  

The arrow itself (at the nock) has some width.  If you place your nock set at "0",and nock your arrow below that, it means the arrow is positioned below horizontal.  

If the nock set is set at 1/4"(about the width of the nock)it makes your arrow sit about level. (Remember, If you are using Easton 25/64 shafts, or anything else over 1/4" wide, the 1/4" noted above is still not enough to make the arrow sit horizontal).

Draw that level arrow back 28" and the angle of the string changes that some more, likely lowering it a bit.  Again, that makes it below horizontal at the start of the push.  The longer the draw, the more severe the angle and the lower the arrow rides. All depending upon your finger placement at anchor.

By placing the nock set above 1/4" (or the thickness of the nock/arrow shaft)it starts to align the arrow slightly above horizontal.  This is what is trying to be achieved.

Some set ups may need to be an inch high or even a tad more than that, but 3/8" to 5/8" probably covers most set ups. It appears to me that those with really long draws tend toward needing higher nock points.

ChuckC

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Yep I would try a higher knocking point.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Groothewanderer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
@ mahantango, man, I thought I got it all ! 29 inches, and my arrows are full length with 5 inch feathers and 145gr field point. I raised it to 5/8's. Ill shoot more after work tonight and report.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©