3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I killed my new bow, why?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
I killed my new bow, why?
« on: January 18, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
I finished shaping and sanding my longbow the other day. It was made of red oak with a poplar stripe through the riser. It tillered out nice and had a good curve to it from the tips to the riser. It was 68" and pulling about 50#@28. I even shaped a recurve style pistol grip and arrow shelf into it. To me it was beautiful.

Before putting a finish on it or any backing I thought I would see how it shot. I made a temporary string out of some heavy twine I had. Because of the stretch in the string it braced out at about 4". I grabbed a handfull of scrap arrows and went outside.

It drew and shot smooth and fast. I was pleasently surprised because this was the first adult sized bow I have built since I was a teen. I then took it back into the house noticing the string had strenched more and now it had a brace height of about 1/2 inch. I drew it back one more time when -SNAP- the upper tip broke off about 6" into the limb. I am not happy.

Why do you think it broke? Was it like dry firing it with that stretchy string? Or because I just shot some light aluminum arrows? Or was it because I didn't have it backed yet?  

I'm thinking of trying to salvage it by making it into a 56" bow and taking it down to about 35-40# for a short draw kid. Hate to see it become fire wood.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I killed my new bow, why?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Without seeing the break it's hard to say. I would just guess either there was a bad grain runoff at the break or it hinged badly there.
Can you post pics of the bow and the break?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Hi OldWays,

if it was a boardbow, chances are it broke because it was not backed.

Sorry to hear that, good luck next time

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
Yes it was a board bow. A board selected from many for just the right grain qualities. I knew I should have backed it first. I guess I got impatient.

I'll try to post some pics so others can learn from my mistake.

BTW- the limb fractured straight across the front surface and folded back on back fibers.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline ibohuntwhitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
old ways

do you have a child to use the bow if you salvage it? if not I am in the market for a youth bow (actually 3 youth bows for my daughters) if you are interested in selling it. let me know.

tom
COMPLETE NEWBIE!! FIRST BOW!!
PSE Impala 60" 55# @ 28"
29" 1916 with 5" feathers 100 gr.tips shooting of the shelf

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your bow but I have to say, backing a board bow just cause it is a board bow is not the way to go.

I make almost exclusively board bows and if you select the right board, there is as little chance of it blowing as a tree stave.

I use quarter sawn lumber not flat sawn and I take my time getting the right board and I have not blown up a single bow in the last 20 I have made.

this is not to say that some board bows dont need to be backed but it is just one more option, not a rule for every case.

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
From the way you described the break, it sounds like there was a hinge there. It might have looked fine on the tree, but shooting it a couple times will sometimes really bring out the true tiller of the bow. It's kinda hard to tell without any pics.
Dances with Turtles

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »
I've wreaked lots of bows. You have to learn to just accept it and move on to the next one. After all it's just wood.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
If you have a bow braced too low the string won't stop the forward momentum of the limb tips and allow the energy to go in to the arrow...... Instead the energy winds up in the limbs and is like you stated just like dry firing it...... I learned this the hard way a few years ago...... I like to pre stretch my strings by hanging them with a weight on one end.... any way of getting tension on the string would work..... and even then I recheck my brace height after every shot until it stabilizes..... The only way to get over a broken bow is to take the knowledge gained from this one and get started on the next one...... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
Here's an example of what I'm talking about....
  "Low brace dry fire"  

Take a close look at how low this static recurve was braced in the first shot pic with the arrow in my McKenzie Deer...... The energy found the weakest point and split out in the handle along a wind check....Fortunately I was able to recover this bow with a little creative advice from the tradgang selfbowyers...... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the feed back. I am a going to start another one and this time not take chances.

Tom, let me see what I can do to salvage this one. I might be able to turn it into a lower weight shorty

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Board choice is vital. Boards with bad grain are not safe. A backing can make a marginal board safer but your bow never had that chance because you didn't back it. LOL. I always back a bow-log  or board-after long string tillering and before stringing it for the first time, if I plan to back it. Like Ragi said not all boards need a backing. More on my site and Ferret's. Jawge

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
surprised no one has said, but please make sure you use appropriate string material next time.  if you need a tillering string, I or many others on here would be happy to make you one.  I've got plenty of dacron....shoot me a PM.....
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©