3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Holm-Made River Runner Recurve....Hello!!!  (Read 362 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Holm-Made River Runner Recurve....Hello!!!
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
I got one of these from Chad a while back and I 'thought' I noticed something but passed it off....till I shot it again.

1st off....do any of you that own one notice the bow 'seems' to go through a 'power hump' about 4 inches from full draw?

I mean....does it feel like the draw force curve shallows way out the last 2 or 3 of inches?  

Mine is 60" - 63#@28 and it builds up on the draw nice and smooth, but the last distance to anchor really butters out.  I don't know how else to explain it....maybe Chad can.

I'll comment more about this bow in a bit....just this seamed to need asking as I have a couple of Bob Morrison's bows that do this but they seemed to do it at mid draw.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Holm-Made River Runner Recurve....Hello!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
I don't own one but have shot several of my friends River Runner's, I think about 3 of them. I have never noticed anything like that. Of course they were also much lighter bows. They are extremely nice shooting bows that I thought remained smooth all the way out. I draw 29.5 inches.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Chad's bows are flat out the best deal out there and one of the best shooters out there!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
I love mine ,it's my go to hunting bow. Mine is 43#@28" so I can't comment on the feeling your getting at 63#'s......heck I would need help just to string it....lol! I have 2 Osprey's and am going to order a new River Runner after the holidays.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
After re-reading your post Terry I guess I want to know if you think think this a good or a bad thing, just curious!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Definitely a good thing......anything described with the word butter HAS to be good......we are talking REAL butter here in the south.....   :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Butter and Bacon.......two of my favorites....LOL!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
On my list for the spring. Im really wanting a 1 piece curve. Havent had one for years.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
I've owned 3 of them and still have 1. Mine were all between 40-48#. I have never noticed it and it is probably because I only have a 26" draw. They are great shooters I've put down 7 deer over the last 3 years with one. I was talking to Chad a couple weeks ago and he said he is thinking about discontinuing the River Runner so who ever is interested in one better order soon.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Terry, I have a 60" River Runner, 45#@28 that I draw 29.5". I noticed the same thing, but not quite as extreme as you're describing. Really makes for a nice smooth draw to full anchor over the last inch or so. Chad is definitely doing something clever.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline guk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Just got and 62in river runner from Chad about a month ago. Dont know if this is something he is going to make full time or not. Its black and white ebony and as pretty as a bow can be. 50@30 smooth all the way to 30. A friend and I thought maybe he missed the weight it felt so light. Right on the nut 50@30. Hits right where i look love it. Think its the only bow that can make me leave the longbow Chad built me in the truck.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Terry,
My River Runner is 50#@28, but pulls smoother than other 50# bows I've had.  The last couple of inches of draw just don't seem to add much weight.  But upon release, it outperforms my other 50# bows!!!  Buttery smooth and fast!

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
I've got a Whisperstik that does this. I thought it was just me. It's almost like a let off in the last few inches.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
A recurve has alot of early draw weight so your getting good poundage out of it early in the draw cycle.  Not only does this add speed but gives it a smooth feel as the bow isn't adding poundage at a fast rate early in the pull. More consistency thoughout the cycle, so to speak.  The last few inches of the draw, the string angle coming off the fingers increases or at least stays consistent as the recurves uncoil.
This is why recurves feel smoother then longbows.  I don't shoot a lot of other brands of recurves to say the River Runner accomplishes these principles better then other brands and I wouldn't say it here, even if I did think so.  I do know that my River Runner is smooth, virtually shock free and moves an arrow at a rapid rate.

I don't have plans to discontinue the River Runner.  For a couple years I have considered offering recurves as only a stock bow option and not a custom build option.  It becomes expensive for me to stock a variety of riser wood in the longer lengths.  Also recurves are trickier to make weight on and more time consuming. We'll see what the future brings but for now I'll continue to offer them for order.

The first River Runner built off the current RR form has been my constant hunting partner for 5 years now.  October buck with my boy.  Thanks,  Chad

Offline Jimbow39

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »
Nice deer Chad. Missed you at Denton Hill this year. Hope to see you next year. JIM

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Now here's a man who strikes me as honest, savy and very modest. I'm sure happy with my River Runner.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Chad,
Are you heading to Kalamazoo this year?

Bill

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
The river runner is the real deal!
Chad makes an extra nice bow!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Excellent bows. Very nice guy. Congratulations on the nice buck. Great photo with your boy. I'm hoping you will be at K-Zoo this year Chad.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Very nice looking bows, does anyone own and shoot his copy of the Bear Kodiak? The bow is very sharp and I would be interested in any feed back. Thanks
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©