3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: treestand packs?  (Read 146 times)

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
treestand packs?
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I have never used a treestand, but have plans to use one next year durring late season if I dont get a buck in first season.

Most of my spots that I would be using a stand are a 1/2 - 2 miles in and I will need to strap it on a pack. I want a pack that can take some snacks and extra clothes as well so that I can take all of what I will need in one trip.

For a stand I am thinking of a hand climber so I can take it in and out on each trip.

thanks for your help
Levi
Levi Bedortha

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: treestand packs?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
leech pack by gameplan gear. ********* archery
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Here's method that Guru uses. You might also check with Bison Gear as they make a treestand pack.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=083412

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
I use a meat pack from LL Bean.  It's basically a frame pack with no bag, but plenty of straps to secure stuff.  I just strap a small pack to it for water, snacks, etc.  Very comfy.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
I use a plain old pack frame and some rope. Works great.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Ah yes, shooting from the treestand...

Let me try and save you some "learnin time".

1). Climbers are great as you can move them as needed, but packing them in and out can be a pain.  Put some padded straps on it to save you from some sore shoulders.  A waist belt helps too. Use the climbing stand as your frame and attach your ditty bag to it.

2). Put a simple s-hook or screw on it to hold your bow or other item(s) as you climb and or have to shift your seating.

3). Attach a pull cord to your climber to pull up your things after you have climbed.  Then use it to attach a scent wick or rattle box on the ground below you.

4).  An open faced climber works best for shooting but not for sleeping.  

5).  Be sure to use your lifeline / safety harness at all times especially as you go up and when you go down.  You can die if you don't!

6).  You can always attach a bag or two to the side frame so that you can store various things (sandwich, call, gloves, etc.) when needed.  I have two and I store certain needed things in there at all times.

7).  On a Summit brand climber, if you mount your carrying straps opposite as the directions advise, you can also attach a backpack to it when walking.  I also found that carrying the stand this way (with the V notch up) is much quieter and easier on the back of your legs when stepping over brush and logs.

8).  Some trees are just not very good for climbing stands.  Unfortunately this one you have to learn on your own...

9).  Always carry a limb nippers and a folding saw with you when locating a new tree stand site.  You will be sorry if you don't.

10).  Try to place your stand just under some canopy.  Deer do look up!  I try to place mine so that the sun is at my back (so the sun is in their eyes and with the wind in my face.  I also try to place my stand in a group of trees for camo purposes.

11).  Once you settled on a spot in a tree, draw your bow.  You will notice things that may interfere with your shot.  It's always better know this before the deer are coming.

12).  You can get side bags and padded straps from the stand makers, but your local army surplus store has these things too.

13).  The metal frame or footing can make your feet get cold quick.  Attach a piece of indoor outdoor carpeting on it to keep it warmer and quieter.

14).  If you fill the hollow metal tubes of the stand with self-expanding window spray foam, it will help to quiet them considerably.

15).  Murphy's law says that you will definately drop something out of your stand after you have climbed up the tree.  You can use your pull cord to retrieve things that were dropped if you attach a weighted snag hook to it.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
thanks for the tips guys! some good info there eflanders.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Jake LaBauve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Look into MOLLE shoulder straps and waist belt.  Makes carrying a stand so much easier than the standard straps that usually come with treestands.  I have them on both my climber and my hang on.  I attach the straps and belt directly to the treestands and use the treestand itself as a rigid frame for back support.  On both stands I drape my pack over the back and pile on extras like my jacket and other layers and finally cinch it all down with a cam strap.  Keeps everything tight and quiet.  

Also look into treestand stabilization straps if you are using a climber.  I use Third Hand Archery's straps and it makes my climber rock solid and much safer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©