3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Micro Flite 2 and Bod-Kin broadheads  (Read 212 times)

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Micro Flite 2 and Bod-Kin broadheads
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
One of the other Doctors at work found some old arrows while cleaning out his attic this weekend.  He is an older gentleman and him an I have talked quite a bit about hunting and archery since I started working at this practice.  Anyway, he walked in this morning and asked if I could use these arrows (he doesn't hunt with a bow any longer...).  I looked at them, and they are very short, to short for me for sure.  25.5" from "V" in nock to back of point.  From my research today the Micro Flite 2 is a pretty low spined arrow.  Looking at the Broadheads they are Bod-Kin 3-blades, and the stamp looks just like that with the dash.  Overall, they look almost brand new.  He couldn't remember getting them, but obviously at some point he did...

My thinking is these were for someone who is shooting relatively light poundage and short draw... May be a man, but I'm leaning towards a woman or child.  Also, would they still be usable?  I've flexed them and seem to be intact and undamaged.  Also any guess to how old these are?

"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Micro Flite 2 and Bod-Kin broadheads
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
I have a new dozen of thoughs also.  You can use them but they are for a very light wieght bow.  It also looks like there are some aluminum head shrinkers on them so the broadhead can fit on the insert.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Very cool!  Try posting this on the History and Collecting forum.  Someone there will date these.  I like those old Bodkins.  I use them on squirrel arrows for me and the kids.  The micro flites are also useable but you may just want to leave those be.  They are neat.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
The arrow shafts will be fine to shoot. You might find that some of the feathers might not stay on when exposed to the elements, but no need to refletch until that happens.  Probably should replae the plastic nocks though.  They get brittle with age and will likely break. Micro-flites were the Cadillacs of fiberglass arrows in the 60s and 70s.  #2s are very light weight though, around 30-35# if memory serves.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=003510

Here's a link to a conversation with a microflite chart.  #2 shafts were purely a lightweight target shaft.  Not sure if they'd be suitable for shooting at any poundage with 125gr broadheads on the tip.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Thank you all for the information!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
I shot them almost exclusively in the 70's. They're tougher than aluminum in my book. I would never use them for stumping though. The ends would crush.

I have the spine charts in Excel format if anyone wants to PM me. I can email it to you.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
I had good luck stumping with HTM rubber blunts over the ends.  I've got some #8's that I'm shooting now out of a vintage Bear Super K. Not quite as consistant as Easton Axis shafts, but still very good and makes up a heavy arrow.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©