3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shakespeare Necedah  (Read 500 times)

Offline Andrew JT Stubb

• Trad Bowhunter
Shakespeare Necedah
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Getting one for Christmas for a good price. This will be the first bow I've ever bought, and I would like some guidance as to what to look for when it comes.

I'm getting it used of course, so I expect it to reflect that. Does anyone have any experience with this particular model? Any input would be welcome!

Thank you!
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shakespeare Necedah
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
There were several models of Necedah produced over the years. Do you know which one you'll get? Does it have an "X" designation on it (X-26, for example)? Length? Color? etc. Any photos?

My personal favorites are the later model X-26 bows, like this one:

Shakespeare built many quality bows and the Necedah models are among the best.

Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline Andrew JT Stubb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Thank you! I'm not yet sure of the markings. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller.

Thank you for the reply though! I'll be sure to ask for more pictures from the gentleman.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
The Necedah was neck-and-neck with the Ben Pearson Hunter . . . and that's a very good thing.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I've had several; a Necadah and a Super Necadah. Both were great bows. For the price, they are twice the buy my most expensive bow is. Not sure why I sold the little 54", because it shot great and was a real pleasure to shoot. Guess sometimes I get caught up in the quest for something new, but I've caught myself looking at them again on e-xxx.

If your bow is in decent shape and in a weight range that's appropriate for you, you're going to love it.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Awesome Bow.  You should expect to be happy! I have shot both the Necedah and Super necedah.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Andrew JT Stubb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 02:49:00 AM »
Okay, I have a decision to make. Starting to have reservations about the particular bow I was looking at. The gentleman says its a Necedah from his boyhood, with a 'custom paint job', thus no actual pictures of the manufacturer markings. Plus, no answers to questions regarding specific information about the bow. Perhaps I was over zealous?

Found another listing with more specific information, actual pictures of the markings. It's a Shakespeare Necedah 'wonder bow' X-22. It's listed for the exact price I was going to pay for the non-responder. Anyone with me in thinking this is a more secure deal  :)
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Andrew JT Stubb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 03:02:00 AM »
And thank you for the wonderful information! So glad to have the pictures! Big help in seeing what to look for!

And Gila Mike, it's an X22, and here are some photos. Hope I did this right!

http://images.craigslist.org/3Kd3Me3H25I95Gc5T1cb47519944ba6401351.jpg
 http://images.craigslist.org/3I83Na3H45N25Ie5G9cb4e8392dbc84bc1187.jpg

Seem legitimate?
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
When its painted and there are no markings, you would have to put it on a scale to find out the weight.  I think if you are going to shoot this bow a lot, that would be your first biggest consideration.

As for the wonderbow you have listed.  It could be a nice bow.  Best thing to to though is go and take a look.  I found a lot of bows listed on that site, the people are clueless as to what it is and often overpriced.  Often they are bows found in the attic or closet from an old relative.

I had one just like in your pictures, it was 35 lbs and it shot well.

Let us know how you make out.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
Also, when you go look at it, you will be able to see things like twisted limbs and cracks.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
I killed my first deer ever and a couple more with a Necedah that looked like Gila Mike's above. Good shooters for sure. I paid $50 for it used at a local archery/bait shop. Recently sold it here on the classifieds.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
I bought one for my dad last season and he said it is the smoothest drawing bow he has.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Shakespeare Necedah was the first good bow I had. Mom bought it for me for Christmas when I was 14. I sold it a long time ago but it was a great bow. I sure shot at a lot of squirrels, rabbits and groundhog with it.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Andrew...

Most of the Shakespeare bows were called "wonderbows" at one time or another but the X-22 in your photo is NOT a Necedah. It's a Custer model bow. Definitely not the same. The Custer bows were 60" AMO. Here's a photo of the Shakespeare logo from an old Custer (notice the X-22 still partially visible):

Off the top of my head, I can't remember all the X-designations for different Necedah models but I know a few.

There was also an X-28 Necedah. I know because I have one (58"AMO & 40#), all green wood and green glass on both belly and back sides. Sorry I can't find a photo of the logo right now.

There  may have been others but I'm not sure. There are other folks around who know more about the Necedah production history than I do. Perhaps one of them can help out with the details.

Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline Andrew JT Stubb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Gila Mike, how does the Custer compare to the Necedah?
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
I've neither owned nor shot a Custer but I'd choose the Necedah in a side-by-side comparison. That's not to disparage the Custer or any other model, just my personal choice.

I grabbed this photo of an old Custer off the Web a couple of years ago. This is the only photo of one that I have in my files:

Here's a Necedah X-31 for comparison:

Mike

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
I bought a Custer model when I first thought of returning to Trad.  It was a fine bow, enough to get the flames stirring again.  Shakespeares were some fine bows, Wonderbows for the price.  :archer2:

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I can't say enough good things about my X-30, it's got great zebra wood with black glass. It's the only short bow I own @54" but it shoots great!   :archer2:

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
I have a blog which might help
 http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
There is also a X12 WAMBAW. Its 58". My grandson has one and it shoots very good.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©