3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The joy of doing for yourself  (Read 541 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
The joy of doing for yourself
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Part of the fun of traditional archery,for me, is the enjoyment of crafting things for myself.
Ive been jotting down little projects to do once the hunting is done this year, and so far my list includes, new shafts, new strings, some bow refinishes and a new Hill style quiver to keep things interesting.
For those do it yourselfers out there,if you dont mind sharing, whats on your lists?
   :coffee:

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The joy of doing for yourself
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
considering taking classes at the Tandy leather factory so I can make my own quiver.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I'm planning on looking for some dogwood for shafts and maybe making a sinew backed Indian bow.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Self bow and continue to work on my flintkapping.
 NOT traditional but figure out how to use the GPS I got for Christmas 3 years ago!!!

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Good luck with that Jon, im still trying to figure out all crap on my phone! i cant imagine all the techy stuff on the new GPS'S.    :thumbsup:

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I make as much as I can myself.  Bows, strings, armguard, crest and fletch my arrows, back quiver, and just recently my own single bevel broadheads and anything else I can think of to save myself some money.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Been making my own equipment for years -- self bows and glass laminated bows, endless and Flemish strings, leather goods, some clothing, arrows, grind my own turkey feathers, etc. Going to make some bamboo shaft arrows this year, some with trade points and some with stone points.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
This winter will be time for me to make up and tune in a new batch of arrows.  Naturally I want them to be good looking as well, so I'll put a little time into making them unique.  I'm thinking of doing 24 arrows with the following configuration so I can just grab and go for whatever the shooting session involves:

9 with small game heads (7 regular, 2 flu-flu)
4 with Judo points (2 regular, 2 flu-flu)
3 with broadheads (all regular)
8 with field points (6 regular, 2 flu-flu)
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
I've got a half dozen bows started...sinewed and tillered - indian style from osage split offs that I need to finish.  Then I'll build a few more bows over the winter.  

I also need to build a set of cane shafts again.  I started some last summer - straigtening - and will try and finish those, and then put on some trade points.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
I'm just getting started in doing my own stuff.  I'm starting out simple with just building up bare shafts.  I just bought a flemish string jig and a bunch of B55 so I'll be trying my hand at making strings.  I also have the plans and I've bought the hardware for an endless loop string jig.  The nice thing for me starting out is that all three of my recurves are 66" so once I get the length figured I can just keep repeating it while I get the hang of things.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »
Make some trade points and stick them on some cane arrows (sticks right now) finish this years hides and make a quiver or two. Get some more hides.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
I'd like to learn how to make laminated and self bows.  Already make my own cedars and leather goods.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
I do strings, arrows and silencers.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Crafting arrows for me  :coffee:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
I'm always making or trying something to make my sits more effective. I Like small leather projects, making arrows, strings and wool silencers. Trade'n bows and helping other when I can.....nice to retired and to be able to have the time to do this stuff. Got my wife shooting a bit so I have to keep her up to speed with all the goodies also! She likes to stump shoot and it makes a nice day out in the woods.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
I want to make two more Hill quivers...one lefty..one righty...stay tuned.....  :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline bpjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Starting to craft arrows.  I have about a lifetime supply of shafts in the closet and most of the needed equipment, just need a spine tester.  I'm really looking forward to giving some away as gifts to new shooters, donating some for future St. Jude's auctions, etc., once I'm proficient enough to make a good looking arrow.

I've also been dabbling in sewing fleece hats and mittens to give to the local homeless shelter, but I still need lots of practice; what I've made so far is functional, but UGLY.
55# 56" Bear Black Panther
52# 66" Hoyt Gold Medalist
42# 58" Bear Kodiak Hunter
45# 62" Pearson Colt
50# 66" Root Rangemaster
45# 64" Bear Kodiak

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
When season is over I'm going to take a nap. After that I'm going to put some arrows together for 3D shoots that start in Jan.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Arrows mostly.  I finally took the time to figure out 4 point footing last summer and am going to make a few dozen for me and my youngest son.  I have a bow to make for my nephew too.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I'm going to build a cycling machine that draws a bow about 30 draws per minute out of an old cement mixer.   :scared:    :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©