3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Lesson on COLD feet. Thoughts?  (Read 980 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
New Lesson on COLD feet. Thoughts?
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
OK. HUGE lesson this year that I need to resolve.

52 years old and spent most of my lifetime falls/winters hanging out in the woods (Yup- remember my first trips with dad and grandpa at 4 yrs old!)

Learned A LOT this year about foot perspiration.

First, I have always struggled with keeping my size 15 feet warm.  Best boots I have had for cold were LaCrosse Rubber insulated pack boots.  Pretty good- BUT. . .

Wore some newer Lacrosse boots this year in that early-just-shy-of-freezing fall weather.  I was amazed that a simple 400 yd walk in- on stand for a few hours- then 400 out would absolutely SOAK the liners.  Like- SOAKING wet!  

This got me thinking of how many years I have wore rubber boots and even wool liners with socks all day! Though I put my boots on a dryer most nights, just the walk in and my feet must have been wet ALL DAY! Certainly the wool worked well over the years, but still wet.  No wonder I get such cold feet- especially after an all day sit.

So- the rest of fall and winter I am on a new mission to resolve this dilemma.  Any input would be great. . .

My plan:  1) Spray antiperspirant on feet 2) Change socks out after I get to the stand.  3) Going to make my own boot blankets for on stand- then I will wear lighter boots with a change of socks.

Thoughts???
Thanks
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Lesson on COLD feet. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Just a liner type sock to the stand might help.

I wear a pair of Muck wetlands all year round. They are a little big in summer/ early fall but I can get 2 pair of wool socks in them when needed.

If it is REAL cold I put the chemical hand warmers under my toes in between sock layers.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I do the same as Rob W.  The Muck Wetland is a very versatile boot.  I wear it during warm weather pig chasing in GA and can also wear the same boot when I hunt IL in November by throwing a hand warmer in the toe of the boot.  I wear a liner sock with wool over that most of the year with the boots.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
I have similar boots too.  All these years my feet were damp all day but did not realize it.  BTW- most guys I know don't wash out there rubber boots! Ever wash yours?  Try some hot soapy water and watch the muddy/sweat/skin cells pour out!     :scared:

Also- not sure 2 wool socks and boots like the mucks would work for me on a 12 hour sit in 20-40 degrees.  I get cold even in packs.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
The anti-perspirant helped my son a lot.  He then wears a thin nylon liner sock with a thick 85% wool sock over the liner.  Rubber boots are the worse thing for feet that perspire.  Leather boots breathe much better.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Been struggling with cold feet for many years myself. In the past I would wear "pack" style boots with heavy socks in cold weather. My feet still got cold. I think it was from the sweat/moisture build up in my hikes into the stand.
Two years ago, I decided to try thin socks (i like the cabelas duramax lightweight or 200gr Woolpower) with 400gram thinsulate boots, and Artic Shield boot covers. WOW! Much better! My feet nolonger over heat when hiking into my stands. Plus, my hiking boots are more comfortable then hiking with pack boots.
In really cold weather (15 degrees and down) I will put a chemical heat pack inside the boot cover. My feet now are toasty!!

chris <><

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I use the polypropolene sock liners under wool and maybe fleece.  I've tried the foot warmers, they get wet and become a lump under my toes!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
"I hate computers!!!!"
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
I just use a regular pair of gold toe socks and bunny boots. Feet never get cold. It has not been cold enough for the bunny boots this year, Still wearing my regular lacrosse. It has to get down under 20 degrees before I break out the bunny boots.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
I FEEL your pain. Everyone is different in the ammount of cold they can indure. With that said when my feet get cold Im done. I've tried all the liner socks, wool sock, pac boot etc. My best and only recourse is a chemical sticky heaters on toe and then once on stand boot blankets! I've not froze out from cold feet since using them but it does reduce the size of your tree stand if thats what you are using. They are bulkly but the better than the alternative
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I've never tried boot blankets myself but I definitely think your on the right track with the antiperspirant and sock change out plan, it made a huge difference for me. keep us posted on your results!

Steve

Offline Jake LaBauve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
If you are going to make your own boot blankets you could just over make them with extra insulation and take your boots off when you get to stand and put the blankets on with a fresh pair of socks.  Alternatively you could hike in with a light hiking boot/running shoe if not too wet and put the heavy boys on at the stand with fresh socks

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
Polypro sock liners with heavy wool over them.  Also, I use the anti-perspirant as well....and this year I tried the toe warmers placed on top of my toes over the socks.  Just enough heat to make a diff, I think.  

I use Muck boots mostly (a size big to accomodat the extra sock), and when really cold, you can't beat the mickey mouse boots.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
I hunt the midwest and late season it can be very cold.  I use the anti-persperant and one layer of wool socks with my Lacrosse rubber boots that are about a size too large.  Feet can get a little cold, but never intolerable.  The anti-persperant and loose boots are the key.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
My feet were frost bitten a couple times as a kid (Chuck Taylors don't keep your feet warm...)so I have dealt with cold feet all my life.

I wear 1000 gram rubber boots (Bass pro) and two pairs of 88% or higher wool socks. The thing that has helped me the most is making sure my boots have room to breathe. Pack all that in too tight and you will get cold.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
when its really bad do what we do and tape a handwarmer right on the outside of the boot where your toes are,, works in a pinch and your toes will love you, not sure about sweat though.  

also they make boots the dog sled and snowmobile folks use called BAFFINs, mine are rated to 100 below and for stand hunting in one spot in 2ft of snow for hours with the coldest I used them was 14 below and they are like having your feet in two warm pillows where there is not a hint of a chill anywhere on your feet yet my feet don't sweat..  BUT for walking or hiking they almost feel like they are falling off the heel of your feet because of the insulation theres almost no tight on your foot feeling but you can get in and out to your stands and climb into portables with no problems.
"Us vs Them"

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
I'm going to try the new remote controlled heated insoles made by thermacell in my boots.  They are pricey at $130 but they look promising.  I've not been too naughty so I hope santa is generous this year.  They are new so I'm hoping to see some reviews on them soon.
Oops, just saw the other thread on them and not good reviews.  Tradgang just saved me some money.  Guess I'll keep trudging around in my mickeys.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
You are right about changing your socks. I keep a big ziplock bag and two extra pairs of wool socks, a thin merino liner and a heavy wool outer sock. I put the wet socks in the bag and seal it, put it in my pack.
Then stick a toe warmer to the top and bottom of my socked toes and slip into my boots.
Make sure your boots are not tight, that will crush you pretty quick.
David M. Conroy

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
Poly liners, wool sox and Schnees insulated RBLT's for me. Felt liners with insulation in the rubber bottom. My go to for the cold, but after about 3-4 hours on stand... feet getting cold.
The boot blanket or toe warmers are my next experiment.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
The anti-perpspirent sprays can give some people an allergic reaction when used on the feet, so watch out for that.  If your feet/ankles get super itchy after a long day in the boots, you might want to stop using that stuff.

I've noticed that too much sock can make your feet as cold as too little.  Make sure your toes have plenty of room to wiggle or you'll feel the chill real quick no matter how much insolation your feet have.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©