3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why would my bow be slapping my arm?  (Read 294 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Why would my bow be slapping my arm?
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I have had a lot of bows over the years, and have never had one that would slap my arm until now. The bow shoots great and has a great cast, but I can't seem to get past it's slapping my arm. Any ideas on what to do to get it to stop?

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why would my bow be slapping my arm?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
What kind of bow? What's the brace height? My favorite longbows hit my wrist,have to wear an armguard.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Either it is too close to your arm, or your arm is too close to it.

Is the brace height of this one lower than your others ?  Is the string a higher stretch string so that it allows the bow to reflex more after release and the arrow coming off?  Are you getting a less than clean release that is causing the string to vascilate (?) side to side more than before ?

Are you holding it with wrist wrapped into the string path ?

Is your stance now such that the bow arm is closer to the string alignment than before.

A good arm guard in the right location can make the arm strikes less noticeable.
ChuckC

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
If you can, a quarter inch more brace eliminated my need for an armguard on my favorite longbow. I'm still within the bowyers recomended.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
I just went through the same thing with my recurve when I went to a lighter arrow. With 2317's no problem, when I dropped almost 200gr it started hitting.  I put a few more twist in my string to increase the brace height and it's been fine since.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
Interesting.....
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Torquing the grip by chance?

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
Hold your bow arm out in front like you are shooting and look at the position of the inside of your elbow. Is it rotated out like like you would point your thumb away from you putting your inside elbow ( medial epicondyle) exposed?
Now hold your bow arm out like you are shooting and rotate your arm to the" thumbs down" position. Then bring your hand to the thumbs up position without letting the elbow rotate.
Do you see how shoulder rotation put your elbow in a better position?

Another manuver to do this is hold your bow in your hand like you are shooting, note the position of the inside of your elbow. Now bring the riser to your chest by only bending at your elbow leaving the upper arm in place. Then bring it out again away from you like you are going to shoot. This corrects faulty shoulder rotation.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
I guess I should have given my bow specs. It's a Big Jim Buffalo bow 64" 54@28". Arrow flight is excellent. Arrows are 580 grain GT 5575. BH is 7 5/8". I don't think my form is the issue, because none of my other bows do this. I had my buddy Lee shoot it and it did the same thing to him. I really like this bow other than the slap, I would like to figure this out. Maybe I should run the BH out to 8 or so. Any more help would be appreciated!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©