3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quinn bows  (Read 439 times)

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
Quinn bows
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
I have one On the way   Heard good things about them  does anyone know if they are fast flight compatible ?  Thinking of pairing it up with an angel majesty string
It's #55. Going up from my #48 omega. Wonder how they will compare against each other

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quinn bows
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Yes they can handle FF.  Great bows!!

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
I have one and I believe it has a D97 string.  You will love the bow.  Very fast and stable with a smooth draw. A superb choice and a great value.  Enjoy yours! I will bet your new Quinn will shoot much faster!

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Great bows. If they still come the way they used to it'll come with an endless loop string. My Stallion was a little loud, but some heavier arrow and some tuning and I got it pretty quite.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Getting mine used

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
Juan,

Just bought a longbow from Mark. Great guy. I've never owned a Quinn but have a friend that does.

Great bows. Congrats on the purchase and ENJOY!

Wayne
P.S. You got a great deal!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
wish I had never let mt old one go. Good early season bow, but I did not like that aluminum riser once it got cold.

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Roark:
wish I had never let mt old one go. Good early season bow, but I did not like that aluminum riser once it got cold.
CA does not get too cold.

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:
Juan,

Just bought a longbow from Mark. Great guy. I've never owned a Quinn but have a friend that does.

Great bows. Congrats on the purchase and ENJOY!

Wayne
P.S. You got a great deal!
Mark sent me all his info, put my mind at easy, it was a pleasure to deal with him, pretty straight forward guy.   :thumbsup:

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
I have a 8 strand bearbowman D97 or D10 on mine.  Awesome bow.  Mine is 50@28 and really shot ICS 500's with 275 up front really well.  Took me a long time to get to that combo.  I shoot mine off the shelf but from what I've hear David Quinn designed them to be used with a weather rest.  I got into longbows recently and it's hanging on the wall for now.  Have fun with it.

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by michels_benny:
I have a 8 strand bearbowman D97 or D10 on mine.  Awesome bow.  Mine is 50@28 and really shot ICS 500's with 275 up front really well.  Took me a long time to get to that combo.  I shoot mine off the shelf but from what I've hear David Quinn designed them to be used with a weather rest.  I got into longbows recently and it's hanging on the wall for now.  Have fun with it.
you mean a sticky rest?

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
I use a Bear Weather rest on mine and it is very easy to tune with one.

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
any idea what the GPP they can handle? how "low" ? 5 GPP? 8Gpp?

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
I am not sure how low you want to go on the grains per pound.  I set mine up to hunt.  These bows are typically smooth and fast right out of the box.  Mine was a little loud and it took some tuning work and a new string to get it quiet enough to hunt with.  I am sure lighter arrows could increase the noise.

My set up is .400 spine Beman ICS arrows at 8.4 grams per inch.  They are cut to about 30.5 inches with 145 grain tips.  These shoot like laser beams out of mine.  I carefully fit the nocks to only lightly grip the serving.  

This set up works for me.  You might call Quinn and see what they advise as a minimum arrow weight.  Good luck and let us know what works for you!

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by ISP 5353:
I am not sure how low you want to go on the grains per pound.  I set mine up to hunt.  These bows are typically smooth and fast right out of the box.  Mine was a little loud and it took some tuning work and a new string to get it quiet enough to hunt with.  I am sure lighter arrows could increase the noise.

My set up is .400 spine Beman ICS arrows at 8.4 grams per inch.  They are cut to about 30.5 inches with 145 grain tips.  These shoot like laser beams out of mine.  I carefully fit the nocks to only lightly grip the serving.  

This set up works for me.  You might call Quinn and see what they advise as a minimum arrow weight.  Good luck and let us know what works for you!
what kind of string did you get?
current arrows are 406 grs, ordered a new dozen in a weaker spine that will be around 360 grs or so.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
I knew David Quinn pretty well and have a lot of info tuning tips that can help. As stated above, he designed these bows to shoot a Bear weathrest, that puts your arrow dead center! He also put heavy phenolic tips, to keep any unused energy from going back down the limbs. David was a mechanical engineer by trade, got into building bows to make an affordable entry level bows for kids, newbies, that would be competitive. He succeded, at any price. I had 12 of his bows at once, 3 now.They are my go to bows, and his daughter is continuing to make them, with a guy laying up the limbs that David trained. David also used D-97 fast flight strings on all his bows, and I have used that and D-10 for best results, with wool puffs, in a flemish string. His endless loop strings smack the limb quiet a bit. If I can be of any help, pm me.
samuel koger

Offline mark stella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliments Wayne and Juan. I just was working on packing it up for you Juan. I swore I would never sell this bow but had a moment of weakness when Jim Gainey sent me pictures of a Siren he was working on made from all Mahogany. Had to have it so I had to sell this one. I can flat out shoot this Quinn. I've owned numerous recurves and I preferred this Quinn over all of them. Even a Black Widow I had.                                      Juan, I have it set up to shoot off the shelf now. My draw is about 27" and I shoot GT traditional 35/55's cut to 29" with 125 magnus 2 or 4 blades up front. It has a skinny string on it now that is yarned. Extra string is a brand new B50 that a friend made me. Its yarned too.         These Quinns are shooters and Bomb proof. She will be in your hands soon. Have fun and get some blood on it.

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by mark stella:
Thanks for the compliments Wayne and Juan. I just was working on packing it up for you Juan. I swore I would never sell this bow but had a moment of weakness when Jim Gainey sent me pictures of a Siren he was working on made from all Mahogany. Had to have it so I had to sell this one. I can flat out shoot this Quinn. I've owned numerous recurves and I preferred this Quinn over all of them. Even a Black Widow I had.                                      Juan, I have it set up to shoot off the shelf now. My draw is about 27" and I shoot GT traditional 35/55's cut to 29" with 125 magnus 2 or 4 blades up front. It has a skinny string on it now that is yarned. Extra string is a brand new B50 that a friend made me. Its yarned too.         These Quinns are shooters and Bomb proof. She will be in your hands soon. Have fun and get some blood on it.
thanks for the great deal, I draw at 26 3/4" , Ill see how my current PSE arrows like it  :thumbsup:

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
Bow comes in tomorrow

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
LOVE THE BOW, thanks Mark, looks almost new  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement