3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New glasses messing up shooting  (Read 566 times)

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
New glasses messing up shooting
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I just got some new prescription glasses and I am shooting about 8 to 10 inches left and 6 to 8 inches high with them on. I can get good groups, the groups just move with the new glasses. I haven't been wearing glasses and can still see pretty good at a distance just can't see much at all close up. I really just got tired of looking for my reading glasses every time I need to see something up close. Really disappointed that the glasses mess up my shooting. I suppose I will adjust my shooting to compensate for the glasses but then I will have to have them on all the time when shooting.
 Any one else have this happen with glasses?
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New glasses messing up shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I found similar results with progressive lenses.  I went back to tri-focals and all problems stopped.  I cannot shoot well with the progressives (guns - yes) but not a bow.

FWIW.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
The size of my new glasses messed me up.  I found myself above or below the bull.  I went back to my old pair to shoot as i found myself avoiding the frames
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Progressive lens bugged me as well, finaly got a pair with just the distance presc.  Works better for shooting just can't see things up real close.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
My lens are the progressive lens. I notice if I look at something and move my head down to look over the glasses the object seems to move down and right. Which I think causes the high left shooting.
Getting old is no fun!!
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
You'll find that progressive bifocals will not work well for bow shooting. The bifocal part is very different in design and placement than the regular lined type of lens. Just had a chat with Linda Graham of Hummingbird bows yesterday--an IBO World champion--and she had her shooting go to pot when she got new glasses which were progressive lenses.  She just got a pair of single vision glasses (made just for the distance correction) and got right back on target.  People who shoot bows need to discuss their special needs with their eye doctor at the time of eye exams and new glasses.  My son is an optometrist/archer and makes sure to inquire about special activities, hobbies, or sports involvement his patients have when he prescribes glasses for them--can make a big difference.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
My optometrist said the same thing. Stay with the lined bifocal to shoot a bow. He said when to turn your head to shoot, with the progressive lense when you look through the edge of the lense it will distort your vision. I use the lined bifocal and get along fine.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
The darn things not only mess with shooting they are hell with depth preception. I have taken more spills going down hill wearing progressives than I have in my life. Nothing like thinking I'm on level ground then picking myself off that hole I didn't see. My hunting buddies think it funny as hell. I've gotten now in the habit of looking over the top of them when in the woods.It's less of a pain than falling.
Next eye appt. I am going to get a extra pair for distance before I break my darn full neck.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I'm still fighting this same thing! I now am wearing my single distance correction glasses so I can see stuff in the distance. I have a strap on them and slip them off before I shoot. I still shoot better without them on.

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I've been wearing progressive lens bifocals for more than 15 years now, and still don't shoot with them on.  I've tried, but hated it.  Maybe the lined bifocals would be the answer - I may have to try that.
It used to be that I only needed glasses for the up close stuff.  But I'm getting to where I can tell the difference at distance as well, and I know it's only a matter of time where I will need to learn to shoot with them on.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Yep, I have progressive lens and have to make sure that I push them up on my nose to shoot accurately. Lined bifocal or single vision lens might be in my future. Good post!
The work praises the man.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »
I have bifocals and it was real goofy trying to shoot a bow or to look though a rifle scope. Got used to it and now no problems. I hate those progressive gadgets.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 03:01:00 AM »
I was starting to have problem to focus well on the targets and while hunting,since I always hated to depend on things that you can forget,looseor fail I decided to submit me to a Lasik surgery.BEST thing I have ever did.perfect eyesight no more need of glasses,lenses and so on,as good as I was youger.Make your self a favor buy you a lasik surgery!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 03:21:00 AM »
Started wearing progressives 7 years ago and my shooting had never been worse. 2 years ago tried the distance only glasses and things got better but still did not like shooting with glasses, they just don't fit my form well. Last January I broke down and decided to wear contacts, best move I ever made. Now I'm shooting as I did in my 20's again.
The contacts have made so much of a difference in my shooting I'm actually considering following Felix and taking the Lasik route if I'm a candidate for it.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »
Felix, did you have both your eyes the same or did you have mono?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
Single vision distance or contacts for hunting is the way I go. Progressives make me nausious on uneven ground and my shooting goes to pot. Even with lined bifocals I find I trip a lot in the woods. I've fallen over everything from a low fence in TX to a maple sugar line in PA.   :)  

My shooters are the simple plastic frames without nose pads. I need to have the frame right down on my nose or I will tend to look through the gap.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
I found that the shape of the glasses altered my head position when I got new frames. Might want to consider that possibility-- anchor point, etc all changed.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
I agree with the LASIK best money you can spend. I had it done probably 15 years ago, maybe more. My distance vision is still pretty good, to the point the doc said glasses would help some but not nesseary for distance. But, now my near vision has gotten bad. I have been wearing cheap reading glasses but got tired of looking for them all the time so went ahead and got the prescription glasses with the progressive lens. May try the lined bifocals, sounds like they may work better than the progressives.
 Aldo Leopold

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
MCNSC: I understand that getting old is no fun. But, try to think of it this way.....aging is a gift not offered to everyone! I turn 69 today and there are things my body does that I don't like but the alternative is not a solution I would choose.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
I wasn't a candidate for Lasik, but contacts helped me out, and I take my glasses off to shoot. Never could get used to wearing any glasses while shooting my bows.
Ken Thornhill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©