3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too little for moose???  (Read 400 times)

Offline Murph From The Bay

• Trad Bowhunter
Too little for moose???
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Good day everyone, I am currently setting up new carbons and the final weight of the arrows is 440 gr (including bh) .  I will be hunting deer and moose.  Is this arrow going to be heavy enough for moose coming out of a 53# recurve?
  Thanks   Geoff

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too little for moose???
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
Dang at 8.3 gr. / pound it is barely in spec for most bows.  There will be some here that will say it's fine.  But in my opinion, it is too light.  I'd be a lot more comfortable if it was me at 530 gr or even 600.

They will penetrate a lot better on a large animal like a moose.  Heck your whitetail up there are huge too.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Yep, the arrow is on the light side, I would get up to 600.

RayMO

Offline JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
I bumped my weight up to 560 grains using a 2 grain per inch tube that slides into my carbons. I had to tweek my nock a hair, but arrow flight is excellent.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Seems light to me.  Moose are big critters, and more weight will sure help your broadhead get to where it needs to go.  
Arrow weight is only one part of the equation though.  Arrow tuning and flight are crtical.  If your arrow flight is not perfect penetration will be far lower.  Broadhead design is also a big factor.  Generally, a good cut on contact two blade will penetrate better than a multi blade.  
Pentration for big animals like moose is very important, and you should pay attention to everything that can affect it - arrow weight included.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Murph From The Bay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, it appears that I have some weight to make up!

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Add some weight and stay out of the shoulders.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
i agree you need more weight for that setup
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
How fast are they going?

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
Five hundred grain on up will be okay with a 53lb bow. Moose are not hard to kill but as Pete said stay off the shoulders. In fact if you arrow a moose and he doesn't see/hear you he might just stand there like nothing happened until he expires. So if you know that you hit him in the lung area and he doesn't react just wait. Don't spook him or he'll find some water.
John/AK

Offline C2@TheLibrary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
since they are carbons I'd say just front load them(increase point weight) until you had 600-625 grain arrows. You'll see a marked improvement in penetration, even on 3D and bag targets.

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
I took a nice Maine moose last September. I used a 58 pound MOAB and the arrows were about 650 grains. I had a 100 grain brass insert, the broadhead insert and a 175 grain Ace Broadhead up front for about 300 grains on front. The broadhead made it right out the other side through the shoulder. Shot was about 20-25 yards. I think the heavy arrow and broadhead made all the difference. I'd try to get your weight up if you can.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I will keep the trend going and say, "Add more weight."  I never killed one, but hunted them in Alberta a couple years ago...and those dudes are huge.  I know the outfitter recommended 60 lb. bows and 600 gr. arrows since we were using recurves.  My setup was 59 lb. Widow with 550 gr. arrows, but I only got shots at tons of grouse.
Lon Scott

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
naww for moose I would feel confortable goin over 550g....any less would really worry me

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Not even close! Please consult the Ashby room on this site, and save yourself, and the moose, lots of misery. dave

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Most people I talk to have shot thier moose withen 15 yards.. So I would go with a heavier arrow.

But me, I have been close to those big boys and I will not shoot anything less that 600 grains out of my 57lb bow.

But of course I shoot 145gr snuffers and an almost 800gr arrow
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
Dave's right.  Your set up is OK for deer, but too light for moose.  Another 10-15# of bow weight and another 300 or more grains of arrow weight would put you in the ball park for moose.  Killed an Alaskan moose a few years ago with a 66# longbow and 725 grain arrow.  On a slightly quartering shot, just barely broke through the skin on the far side.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »
140 gr BH + 125 gr steel BH adapter + 100 gr brass insert + gold tip trad arrow abot 29 in long with cap and feathers will give you about 660 gr total and shoot great with my 53 lb longbow.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Seems a little light but if it has a real high FOC it will penetrate like a average FOC 10gpp. arrow, Dr. Ashby will be posting those results I believe! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©