3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling coyote  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Calling coyote
« on: January 18, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
I  found that I can hunt coyote every day of the year in PA. SO, I get a little time to out this morning. I had seen some guys doing call set ups on TV (only they had guns). I figure I'll give this a try.   My third set up, I had two Song dogs come right up behind me. Well, what a suprise when we all saw each other at the same moment. That sure is some fun time in the woods.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling coyote
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Forgot to mention I had my Talon recurve in hand.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
JJ, sounds your doing something right.

here is what I have done in the past.

I use a howler as a locator and to bring them in from afar. than I go to rabbit distress sounds unill I see the coyote is w/in 2-300yds(if your in an area you can see that far) I make a kissing sound with my lips to bring'em the rest of the way. keep in mind they are going to use the wind just like elk and come in down wind. a caller and a shooter also helps when your weapon of choice is a bow(shooter sets-up down wind of the caller). Each of my stands I plan to stay at least a 1/2 hour than I move a mile or so before I set-up again.

I'm no expert but this has worked for me a time or two.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
If you howl you wont see cat or fox just a heads up.  Also if you by a wildlife caller you will have way more close calls (Id say kills but I miss more yotes then I get lol).  If you hide the speaker in a stump or little brush pile they wont be as nervous plus you can put it up wind.  Then again They can be heavy and a good one is not cheap.

Offline Jimbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
I called one in last night. He was only 10 yards away when I spotted him and I was not ready for him to come in running like he did. Next time I will be ready. I used a rabbit call very softly, that did the trick. I think I will try doing it from one of my tree stands tonight. I got a coyote howler, but have not had any luck using it. I think that I need to use a decoy to remove the attention from myself. They always come in looking for me.
Jimbob

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
Called in my first yote last weekend with a howler. Talked to him for around 10 min at 100 yards, but he never came in.. Tried to bring him in close with a rabbit call but it did the oppisit.

I think calling a yote on the ground with a bow is one of the hardest hunts out there. Dang smart.

To tell the truth I am not all that much into killing a yote (I will if I get a shoot). I just like getting out in the woods and make some noise. I bring my bow and my buddy brings his 270. What I realy want to do is call in a wolf, that would be a rush.  

Good luck to anyone out there doing there best.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
If using a bow might try a moving decoy, they will sometimes lock on it like a missle and give you time to shoot,

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
Pasty Face: I had one (my first) trot by my stand this year, and it was really neat. (yote, not a wolf)
We hear them at night, but rarely have a sighting.

So, "Yote 101": Are you guys hunting at night, and what kind of calls are you using?
What's a "howler"?  
I'd like to learn more, and I agree: this is a good way to spend time outdoors.
Thanks.

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
Sorry: I look back and now see the "predator calling" thread a few days ago.
You want info?  This site has it!

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
If your state allows night time hunting can be a very good bet, But you need someone very experienced on the light and call, you don,t have to worry about movement just wind and noise. I,ve had coyotes and coons try to chew the tires off on good nights.

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
They are some of the smartest animals around.  I've done a bunch of calling (most at night, and almost all with a rifle).  One of my main goals is to call one in and kill it with stick & string.  Just like said above, they will almost always circle downwind.  If you do much of it, multiple calls is essential.  I've always heard that if you call one in and get busted, that dog will never respond "positively" to that same call again.  We used to keep notes on which call we used in each location.  I think that some kind of decoy would be great for distraction and to help get drawn.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©