3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Axis Traditionals Have Arrived!!!!  (Read 961 times)

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
Axis Traditionals Have Arrived!!!!
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Got my Axis Trads overnighted and they just arrived. I got feather #1 glued up now, pics will be posted when I get one done. I'll also post a how to on some fantastic inserts I made/modified for these which are the best inserts for these Axis arrows.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Axis Traditionals Have Arrived!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Didn't know there was such a thing, look forward to the pics
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
So first thing first ill show you the inserts I put together for them. I got a hold of some CX Edge rustproof stainless steel half in half out inserts. These are 17/64" and they fit the Axis arrows perfectly and they weigh about 43 grains. I then cut the threaded part off of some field points, fanned some super glue on one end and screwed them halfway into the back of the insert leaving about three threads exposed. I took the 75 grain brass break off hit inserts and broke the back off making them 50 grains. I then mixed up some hit epoxy and dipped the threads I installed on the back of the CX Edge Insert and screwed them onto the back of the CX Edge inserts. This makes a 100 grain half out stainless steel insert for your Axis arrows. But by not breaking off the insert or using the 100 grain hit inserts you can make a 125 or 150 grain insert as well. Super strong, strengthens the arrow, no need to foot. Here's some pics to show what I described. Hope this helps some of you guys.

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Thats pretty darn cool...

:thumbsup:
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Glad you like it.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Ya, that is cool!  I'm going to be looking for some of those.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
I bet it adds a lot of strength too, enough where an external footing wouldnt be needed. Thanks for sharing, I have a Axis Trad Test kit coming from 3 rivers soon.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Looks great! What is the difference between axis trads and the beeman mfx's?
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
I can see where the nearly doubly long insert provides more glue surface to hold the insert in place rather than crushing the front end of the shaft on hits on immoveable objects.  

The shoulder of the insert itself is the same size as the shoulder of the field point, so on a direct hit on something solid it would be just as likely to split the carbon behind it -- except for that longer gluing surface.  

You might have something there.  Let us know how it works.

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
On the Axis arrows normally the arrow tip is already stressed from having the field point screwed up against it, making it easier to split. But with this the insert may be the same diameter but it isn't stressing the carbon and because of the fit and the epoxy this insert I think will make footing absolete on the Axis arrows. The weak point I've found on the Axis arrows is the space between the hit insert and the point, but with this insert I've made up there is no space. But ill post after shooting them and let you guys know how they hold up.

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Also I forgot to add I'm using the 9/32" field points from 3rivers which taper down to 17/64" so the point width is a tad larger than the inserts.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I've been shooting some with 100 grain brass inserts for about two weeks. I love the MFX but this n-Fused Axis Traditional is my new favorite!  Looks a lot like MFX Classic but is slightly smaller in diameter. At my BOP of 27 inches my Axis are 22 grains lighter than the MFX -- 500 spine.

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
I agree bowwild, i liked the mfx but im really excited about these new traditionals. My total arrow weight fletched with these inserts are 554 grains average full length.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Could just get some set screws the same thread size and bore as the field tip threads instead of breaking a field tip, would be cheaper and use some blue or red loc tite so if you screwed up the edge stainless outsert you could just heat it up and take it off and replace it. Food for thought!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
I used field tips because i have about a thousand and a dozen costs me only a couple bucks. If i was making up 10 dozen i would think about another source, but for a dozen arrows its not much of a bank breaker.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Thare1774:
I used field tips because i have about a thousand and a dozen costs me only a couple bucks. If i was making up 10 dozen i would think about another source, but for a dozen arrows its not much of a bank breaker.
Yeah, no doubt, I could come up with quite a few myself, but was thinking more for others that might try to put something like this together, might be able to find some set screws are even all thread or a stainless srcrew or something a little longer to give a little more grip length. Great idea, not trying to belittle it, like your ingenuity, wish I had more myself!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
Good idea Goat.  Could probably just buy a long piece of threaded rod at the hardware store (it even comes in brass) and cut off  the desired lengths for the joint.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©