3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frederick Long Bows-lets see them  (Read 175 times)

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
Frederick Long Bows-lets see them
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
I recently stumbled across this Gem and really enjoy her.  Never heard of them before and I know Fritz Jonk is no longer building bows due to health reasons from working with exotic woods so there won't be any more.  So I was wondering who else in here has them or has had the pleasure of shooting them?

Frederick longbow by Fritz Jonk. This is the Baron model.
64", 53# @ 28". Bamboo core with bocote back and belly. Cocobolo riser and tips under clear glass.

The only down side to this particular bow is it was refinished so it is unmarked,  I haven't decided if I want to put the specs back on it or not.  I just don't want to forget all the details.  I have them written on a piece of paper now, but if I lose that paper..   :rolleyes:

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frederick Long Bows-lets see them
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
I have to laugh at this picture bc my arm guard is way off.  I'm used to my recurve and when I switch to the long bow, the grip is different and my forearm turns over more putting the armguard in a useless position.  Fortunately the string didn't slap my forearm after this shot.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
That was a great score for you!

I have had about 10 of them believe it or not.My 1st custom bow was a Frederick Regeant.A wedding present.The Regeant is very fancy.More so than the Baron.I had mostly Regeants.But had a few Barons.They are the same design.He also made one called the Squire that was a level below the Baron

I had a few Yoemens as well that arew similar to a shrew are Griffin.But with a milder/refelex deflex limb.A short longbow with a forward set handle.

Fritz was an excellant bowyer!!!He retired due to health problems related to working with the exotic woods,glues and finishes.

The original finish on that bow would have been automotive type clear coat.The grips are great and wrapped perfectly with black English leather.

He built me one with English horn style knocks that was very cool with all English Yew limbs or veneers.All the bows were elegant and shooters for me.I killed alot of animals with them and did well in 3-D with them as well.

Enjoy your bow.They are rare to find used.But he did build alot of longbows in his day believe me and had a long wait time when he was at his peak.He often attended traditional bow shows in the midwest in the 90s and early 2000s.A rack full of gorgous eye candy on his bowrack.

Shoot Straight
>============>

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Great info Steelhead, thank you very much for sharing!!  I've been trying to find more info about him and his bows, but have had no luck.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Your welcome!Fritz has been off the traditional map for about 10 years now.So he is kinda lost in the archives like some other great bowyers.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Lost maybe, but not forgotten. I never owned one of his bows but did get the opp. to shoot one, and see several, OUTSTANDING craftsmanship!
As steelhead stated, they are rare to find, but theres a good reason for that...need i say more.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©