3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mechanics gloves for shooting ?  (Read 224 times)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
Mechanics gloves for shooting ?
« on: December 04, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Seems I remember Marv Clynke or someone using mechanic gloves for shooting archery. Anyone know about this or anyone tried it ? I'm thnking of cold weather. I know all about other options and they are not the question, just mechanics gloves.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mechanics gloves for shooting ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I use the high end impact gloves I shoe gooed nylon straps on the three fingers works awesome. I can post pics if your interested and a write up how I did it

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
Yes please do that.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Here are the photos

I took an old nylon belt and measured the length by wrapping it around each finger and marking with a sharpie. Next after cutting to length I took a lighter and melted the ends to prevent unraveling. I applied shoe goo in three beads down the length of the nylon. I put the glove on and glued one finger at a time holding and pushing and packing the squeeze out into a fillet under each side. After about 5 minutes the glue will tack up. I then took a strip of Saran Wrap and wrapped it around the finger while still wearing the glove. Repeat the process for each finger and then work your hand out of the glove and allow to dry overnight. The toluene in the glue really smelled at first but went away totally after two days.  The finger stalls are stiff at first I just folded them where I get my hook on the string several times and I was impressed how they work. I shoot a big shot glove normally but with cold weather these are my go to gloves for cold weather bow hunting now. They feel very similar on the shot and release as my big shot i hope this helps

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
I wear the original Mechanics gloves to protect my hands for in and out and setup. I am tough but it is hard to explain to people why my hands are all chewed up. I tried shooting with them though and they work fine both for the glove hand and the bow hand.

That said though, I prefer to wear my thin Manzella (sp?) gloves that have a bit of the palm cut out for the bow hand and the fingers and thumb off the other. I then wear my regular glove under that. I have tried a bunch and that is the best setup I have found for my style.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics and info, I'd been thinking of using similar gloves for hunting and adding nylon is a great idea.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
I just had a tread on here for this very thing I will be making me my own style of gloves after seeing yours cuboodle this things look great. I also use a big shot so if they shoot about the same thats great thanks for the pics. DeCurry great thead

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I wear a medium-weight pair of mechanics' gloves, but only to keep my hands warm.  I like the feel that I still get with them.  

I cut the tip off my drawing-hand index finger, and use my finger-tab with them.  I like the index fingertip exposed because I anchor by touching one of my teeth.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I have used them with good success, I also shoot with the cow leather work gloves.  But my main gloves are a standard BearPaw classic glove.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
The Mrs. and I were out Christmas shopping and visiting my daughter today and I was near a Harbor Freight.Bought a pair of their Anti Vibration gloves. $12 I think. Here's the left hand on me so you can see how they look

Here's the right glove. I pushed finger size dowels into the fingers and glued on 1/2 inch webbing using Shoe Goo

I'll give it a few days to cure and we'll see how it goes.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Looks like a nice setup.

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
You will like it

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter